01-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #302
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coi View Post
It's possible the dealer said they changed the fluid and didn't, so much as anything is possible. That would be highly expected and completely unacceptable if true. Somewhere with a tough climate and older vehicle that could be downright dangerous.

I've personally never seen cloudy brake fluid, only dark. I once changed brake fluid that was nearly 10 years old with tens of thousands of miles and it was very dark but not cloudy. It should stay translucent even if it's old, so I'm not sure what would make it opaque. It would have to be severely contaminated for you to notice a difference under regular circumstances. Usually you have to be driving a car pretty hard (boil the fluid) or have it be really bad before the pedal will start to feel off. Even brake fluid from a new vehicle with 30k miles on it should look nearly new and not feel different.

Did the fluid look cloudy in the line, or was it in a container after you drained it? I've seen like-new fluid do some strange things only after draining it into a container that had a little water or other fluid in it. Seen it change to weird colors or form precipitate but only after taking it out of the lines.
The fluid was slightly darker than normal, and slightly less transparent than normal when I pulled it out and examined it in the catch can of the vacuum bleeder. So It wasn't terrible. The bad brake feel I described was only under very hard driving where I was intentionally testing the brakes. I got the squishy pedal boiled fluid feel far before I was expecting it, which made me wonder what was going on. The fluid was not 'dangerous' per se, maybe just not perfect for hard driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Yes, but it's still under warranty so take it in and see what they do or don't do.
I just bled it myself with 2L of new fluid. That was faster than going to the dealer and seeing what they wanted to do, scheduling, and letting them do it

Took it out this morning for a quick test - way better. Didn't get any fluid boiling after many repeated 90-30 stops. Bravo!