10-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #427
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Boomer View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to get all-seasons or dedicated snow tires for the winter for M40i and wanted to get some feedback. I've previously owned an S4 which came with Conti all seasons on 235 wide tires and drove 4 winters with it without any major issues - I've never gotten stuck and sliding was well controlled, however as the tires got older sliding/braking got worse.

I know I've heard that snow tires diminish handling and make the car bumpier - I've never owned a set of snow tires and don't know whether it's true.

I live in Michigan and while we get a decent amount of snow here, it's usually cleared quickly and we are back to dry road conditions within 24 hours.

Has anyone living in snowy conditions opted for all-seasons vs snow tires?

Thanks!
I drived over 20 years in Canada. Both A/S and winter tires have improved during that time. There was a time snow tires were like driving on balloons, that won't be the case with something like the LM001 that comes on some BMW assemblies. And although A/S is better these days, you can't beat winter tires on patches of ice that form at intersections for example (4WD does nothing for stopping). Also note there's kind of two categories of winter tires, those for intense snow and/or ice, and the "performance winter" kind that you'll probably end up with on a BMW.

If you can pick when you go out and/or adapt your driving, you can absolutely make A/S work. But if you drive like in Canada, where most people don't even slow down in a big snow storm, you'd kill yourself without snow tires. They consider it a safety necessity. In Michigan, I guess it's a personal choice. But even with good winter driving skills and having moved to New England, I really prefer snow tires for the better capability in bad weather.

Winter tires are also how I get through a lease without getting new stock tires.
Appreciate 1