07-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #15
jrock60
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredko View Post
A quick review of my experience so far:
Connectivity:
initially, had trouble getting my phone to connect. On the phone it said "looking for android auto" as a notification, but could not get it to work. Had to remove the connected app from my phone, delete the phone in idrive and re-pair it. This may have been specific to my phone as my wife's pixel 3 opened android auto first time with no issues.

When starting the car, sometimes it opens AA automatically, sometimes not. I think I need my phone unlocked for it to open, so I'll try setting up smartlock so it unlocks when connected to bluetooth. The car needs to be running or with a single press of the start button to turn on all connectivity, if you try to open AA while only with accessory power, it doesn't work and doesn't explain why. Generally, if it can't open AA, there are no helpful error messages or indications why it isn't working so that can be frustrating.

Screens:
Looks good, nice layout on the wide center display with a large map and details on the current media. HUD and instrument display has basic directions with an arrow, distance and street name. We lose the lane diagrams and mini-map that BMW nav provides. Instrument display still has media description and album art. Media list loses the ability to scroll through the playlist in the HUD.

Interaction:
AA responds to hey google, or you can trigger it with a long press of the voice button. Regular idrive responds to a short press. Idrive controller is nicely integrated with AA, pushing/turning the wheel moves the selection as expected. Media, comm, nav, back, etc buttons switch between screens. It's easy to go back to idrive via the menu button if needed.

Quirks:
A few bugs where spotify would pause itself and need to be toggled to keep playing.
On one short trip the HUD said calculating route while the center display showed the proper directions.
Somehow I'm now subscribed to the new traffic camera information for the next 10 days only, not sure if this is related to the idrive upgrade?

Thanks for sharing. i just had my car updated for an issue with Sirius, I'm not sure what was updated to be honest and the dealer had no idea on when Android Auto would be available. One thing I noticed since I got my car back about a week ago that you mentioned in your post is that my phone is calling up a notification for Android Auto trying to connect. I tried what you suggested but I am unable to get Android Auto to show up on the screen. I'm wondering if there is a way to check what update version you have in iDrive and if I have the update but just cant get the phone to connect? I have an S20+ which is compatible with wireless AA.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0