View Single Post
      05-11-2020, 07:40 AM   #68
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Ok so I got the fronts done the following weekend and then drove on them easy the first 150 miles are so per BMW recommendations. I tested them a little after that and they seem better than stock however initial bite is not.

So today I have a story to tell. We have a stock '09 335i. Our first BMW, and ordered new by us from the factory like the X3 was. Initial brake bite and overall braking in that thing have always been fantastic. About 3-4 years ago she got tired of the stock brake pad dust and I put Akebonos on it. Initial bite and overall braking suffered but eventually we both got used to it. They are still on the car today. (Also I must say the brake dust problem *is* gone)

Last Monday, with 133k original miles on her stock injectors and coils she punched the 335i around some traffic on the way home and the car went into limp mode for the remaining 5 miles home. I diagnosed it as a stuck injector. I ordered 6 new ones along with new plugs and she drove the X3 to work from Tuesday through the rest of the week while I waited on the parts to come in late Friday. I put the injectors in this weekend and her car is back like new.

She called me this morning after getting to work to say how well the engine was running smooth but also how much better her brakes(crappy Akebonos still!!!) feel compared to mine. (I didn't ask her to compare BTW)

I guess one day when I get *some* mileage out of these stock BMW $$$$ pads I'll look for some aftermarket pads that have COLD HIGH initial bite.
Appreciate 0