01-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #50
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
For me the X3M is a M3 Touring. Probably not quite as focused, but once 'on it' in the X3M is epic. You can feel the weight occasionally in the twisties, but keep the engine in Sport+ and using the paddles between 4.5k and 7k rpm it's crazy fast and a huge amount of fun. It's got stopping power too with brakes from the M760i.

I'd also like a B3S Touring, but it was double the price (finance monthlies) in the UK, and the Macan Turbo S was similar.

The X3M is not perfect, but it's a very good car and I've been confused by the reviews - I've driven a stack of M and AMG cars too.
Hate to say it, but the X3M is nothing like an M3, sedan or hypothetical touring. I have driven it, loved it, and when my current X3 is done with, I'll probably buy one as the family car.

But as far as handling, you can feel the weight everywhere except the acceleration. I thought at the time that it is as fast (or faster) in a straight line as my M3 and later test confirmed it. But for braking, handling etc the difference is stark.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0