View Single Post
      10-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #20
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

The initial post has been deleted so I don't have the whole story here, but piecing it together from the replies (the helpful ones, anyway), I would definitely ask them to see the sludge.

When I dealt with a local BMW stealership and BMW NA on a used X3 I purchased from a non-BMW dealership, they balked at repairing/replacing a turbo that was leaking oil into the intake under warranty, citing lack of oil change records. After a bunch of work on my behalf, I was able to track down the records of oil changes having been done by other shops through the previous owner. Once presented with that info, the BMW stealership and NA suddenly changed their story, saying they had found sludge in the engine, indicating the wrong oil was used. Why wasn't that brought up as the issue to begin with?

At that point I just washed my hands of it, took the vehicle back to the dealership I had bought it from and they credited me the purchase price. I bought another X3 through them, one that hadn't even hit 11k miles yet. Had BMW do the oil changes under the maintenance plan and I've done the oil changes every 6k miles ever since then. I've recorded myself with a GoPro while doing each of the oil changes with LL-01 certified oil and Mann filters. This way if anything happens I have proof they were done and done correctly with more than adequate parts/materials.

Looking back on it, it was probably just the oil feed line for the turbo, but I hadn't really researched it much back then. Otherwise I would have asked them about that part. I should have asked them to see the sludge.

Moral of the story - do your own research on this - ask them to see the sludge and although it doesn't guarantee action (didn't in my case), definitely get BMW NA involved.
Appreciate 0