Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
They are not way ahead of Tesla. And Tesla has more of a battery supply then any other car manufacturer.

Tesla has BMW and the rest of the industry BEAT because of their worldwide Supercharger network.

AND LASTLY... Model 3 is out selling all competitors combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Most EV owners (70% last I read) don't really care about the charging network.

The "Charging Infrastructure" is way overrated. Most EV owners (70%) never use public chargers it at all. I'm on my third EV (Volt, Tesla, i8) and I've NEVER used one. Most EV owners, like myself, simply plug in their cars when they get home and just let them charge overnight. That's why range is so important to EV owners. If you can make your daily average, with a comfortable buffer, then you are good to go! 200+ is pretty generous I think! I'm never going to take a pure EV on a road trip unless its just for the "challenge" of it. I couldn't care less about the charging infrastructure...

Tesla has them beat simply because Tesla has been selling cars...a lot of them..for more than a couple of years.
Actually.. tesla just reached 200,000 this past year correct? BMW has indicated that they have 250,000 electrified vehicles on the road.....

either way... if Tesla is " leading. " they certainly do hot appear to have an insurmountable lead ...
Yea we looked at the Tesla in the store and it's fit and finish is sub par and details are very under finished for its price point. The model S interior IP reminds me of a supplier trying to showcase their digital gauges and it just feels sort of sterile. Now that's just my opinion and not to be taken as fact as everyone's got one.

Plus the act of selling more of a car doesn't make you better.

Teslas the only option right now for decent electric mobility.

Once everyone else's electric cars hit the market like Bmw Audi and Porsche and Volvo etc, if Tesla can't make a profit now they won't then as those companies will be stealing more and more customers away from Tesla.

Tesla's also plagued with dealer supply issues, a friend of mine has been without his car for months as they are waiting on parts. And no loaner. Say what you want but the part of loving what you own is knowing if I do break down I have a dealer network that will have me back up and running ASAP, and have a loaner. Tesla can't guarantee that, and if I breakdown during one of those "road trips" good luck! Tesla's dealers aren't as plentiful as a Bmw or Chevy dealer scattered all over the nation.

I love that they helped the market along but not sure if they will be around. Time will tell.

Mostly the fanboys and investors will tell you their the best thing since sliced bread and their nice yes as a new player in town but after driving the model 3 and having to search menus and such on the screen it's not practical and their simplicity and cost reduction missed the mark. Needs a HUD at a minimum.

Even CR now show them way below average when they used to be on top.

And with musk and his tweets lately I think the stress is getting to him.

I've even heard the truck got shelved until they can rid themselves of the model 3 setbacks and build quality issues.

It's not easy to build a successful car company in today's world and hats off to them, but they still have a ways to go.

If I had to buy an electric car today, it be a Tesla but if I'm honest I'll hold off and see the other offerings as it seems like it's going to get exciting in the coming few years!
Appreciate 1