Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
We've usually accepted Standard tires on our X3 35i models, but for the X3 M40i (with its improved power and handling) we are going to take a closer look at the tire options to maximize its capabilities. But I am confused about the terminology.

Standard configuration - 19" M Double-spoke (DS) 698M style 'Performance' RFTs

Optional configurations - 19" M DS 698M 'All-Season' RFTs; 20" M DS 699M 'Mixed-performance' RFTs; and 21" M DS 718M 'Mixed-performance' RFTs

Searching the term 'Mixed-performance' online yields different opinions. Some indicate 'mixed' just means the Front and Rear tires are of different size (yet they are still 'Performance'). Page 3 of the HEA Guide would be consistent with that idea, as the 20" are Ft 20x8.0, 245/45 & Rear 20x9.5, 275/40; the 21" are Ft 21x8.5, 245/40 & Rear 21x9.5, 275/35. Yet others disagree indicating the term for that is 'Staggered'.

Others suggest 'Mixed' means different tread design on the fronts (designed for cornering) compared with the rears (designed for acceleration), yet both remain 'Performance'. Maybe someone can clarify?

Since the option for a space saver spare is now available, am also surprised they don't offer a non-RFT option - maybe this initial guide is a work in progress.
The copy of the "Draft" HEA Ordering Guide I have reads as yours with the 698M as All-Season RTFs. It is my understanding that "Mixed-Performance" tires are 3 season, "Performance" tires are summer and "All-Season" are just that...all 4 seasons...but then again, I really don't know anything about tires. I am currently driving around on Pirelli PZeros with 310Ms in snow.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0