11-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Troll? Hardly. I'm much more active on other BMW forums (have been since the late '90s). I rarely come here because, let's face it, the E60 portion of this forum is nothing but a classified ad section. I use this forum to look for parts, interesting political threads, and the 'non-BMW' car talk. Call me a troll if you want; jimmy crack corn, and you know the rest.

This is a thread soliciting opinions on the new 'Vette. Usually I stay out of these threads because I have no interest in crapping on someone's choice of car. If this thread were titled "check out my new C7!!!", you wouldn't be reading this because I never would have posted. I know we all work hard for our money and put a lot of thought into the cars we choose to buy. But since this was a generalized 'what say you?' thread, I threw my hat into the ring. It's amusing how some folks just cant't stomach a dissenting opinion, whatever the reasons may be.

Sorry guys and gals, I'm not a fan of the Corvette. Yes I've seen it. In person. It does nothing for me.

To me, GM is the Disco Stu of the automotive world. God help them when the baby boomer generation dies off. I predict GM's funeral will be shortly thereafter. I find it interesting that nearly half of Corvette buyers last year were age 55 or older.

I'm someone that is impressed by new technology, and by automotive companies that push boundaries. I don't see any of that in the Corvette. I see a car with composite panels glued to a spar-type frame, powered by an inefficient (power-wise) large displacement V8 with camshafts that STILL aren't where they should be. Basically the same formula they've been using for a long, long time.

So that's what I think of the new Corvette. If you decide to buy one, I'm happy for you. Really, I am.
Kyle,

Much of what you've posted is somewhat true of past variants of the Corvette. I in fact have owned two C5 Z06s which were primarily track cars although they still functioned extremely well as a DD when I wanted. The 'low rent' interiors really let the cars down however although dynamically there were no BMW's, and very few Porsches, that could keep up with them at a DE event.
But the C7 is different. Not only does the 'base' Z51 version come very close to the speed/handling of the previous C6 Z06, but the quality of the interior in particular has moved the car into a totally different bracket. It can now compete with the European brands on not just speed, handling, etc, but in interior appointments also. The fact that the car can outrun so many (much) higher priced vehicles at a substantially lower price is outstanding, and will lead to a whole new sub-set of owners buying the car simply because of what it offers, both dynamically and quality wise, for such a competitive price when compared to others. Frankly the high powered version of the car when its released in 2015 is going to kick some serious butt if it comes in at <$100K.
Bish
Appreciate 0