View Single Post
      02-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
telecaster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleung View Post
I am currently in the process of doing this to my e60. I ended up buying my TCU from the e90 portion of this forum. But basically I would suggest looking around forums and ebay. Also have a chat with your dealer to see what they say. the only other issue is the tcu unit will have a different VIN number than your vehicle so if you subscribe to bmw assist they will not see your correct VIN. I've been told though that this can be fixed with coding however your dealer will not have the right software to do that kind of coding.
When I searched on TCU on ebay everything seemed to line up with 2006 and below. Is there a different term for the unit starting in 2007? I called the dealer and they said that even after buying the part you would need coding (I am assuming this is around the VIN number for BMW assist). He basically said if your car didn’t come with the option, then you can’t have it.
I would have thought you would just buy a unit and buy the microphone and plug them in. I don’t care about BMW assist, I just want the phone to work.
Post back on how the project goes for you and if anyone else has experience or guidance, please let me know. Right now based on what the dealer said I am thinking about not trying it
Appreciate 0