BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Frontal Collision Warning DOES apply brakes automatically...

Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #1
JSY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i

Frontal Collision Warning DOES apply brakes automatically...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just wanted to post this here because there was a question about this a few months back in case anyone was wondering... If you have the Driver Assistance Plus package that includes Frontal Collision Warning, the are WILL apply the brakes if it feels that a collision is imminent.

Despite the description that says that there is brake intervention, I wasn't sure if that was only if you had the Active Cruise Control option (which I did not have). I've always only seen the red car icon on my HUD and dash and the beeping.

Well, someone in front of me stopped short and sure enough, the red car icon went on and the fast beeping immediately turned into a long beep. By the time I had pressed the brakes, the brake pedal was already on it's way to be pushed down somewhat and I was stopping. Thankfully no impact.

I don't know if I would have hit the car if the brakes were not automatically applied but one thing is for sure - it started to apply them before I reacted. I guess that is the point and for that I can say is well worth the cost.

So anyone who is still curious about this (because BMW doesn't do a great job of describing what comes with the Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus packages), the answer is yes - the brakes will automatically intervene once it feels there is going to be a collision.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #2
pokerface
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: B8 A4 2.0T

I haven't done much reading on the matter, but Fifth Gear did a comparison test once and pointed out only certain manufacturers have automated braking that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop / avoid collision, while some manufacturers (such as Benz) only slows down the car enough to make the crash less severe.

Where does BMW fall?

2010 B8 A4 2.0T quattro (current)/
2013 F25 X3 x28 N20 (babymobile)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #3
cigar3tte
Rep
Drives: Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I haven't done much reading on the matter, but Fifth Gear did a comparison test once and pointed out only certain manufacturers have automated braking that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop / avoid collision, while some manufacturers (such as Benz) only slows down the car enough to make the crash less severe.

Where does BMW fall?
According to my sales advisor, BMW's make a complete stop. I'm not gonna run a test to check him.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #4
Lotus99
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Cool! If I had it on my car, I would test it right away by may be putting a cardboard wall on the road, and drive into it! Or try it with a large sheet of paper or something. I wonder if it could sense those...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #5
fusion0389
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive M Sport

Interesting.. I opted out of the option when i placed the order for my wife's X3. Glad there is finally an answer though. The paper\cardboard idea sounds like it would theoretically work.
Appreciate 0