BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » scratched anti-glare on idrive screen

06-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
walendvay
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 F25 28i

scratched anti-glare on idrive screen

Anyone accidentally scratch and/or remove some of the fragile anti-glare coating on the CIC iDrive screen?

This happened during routine cleaning.

Not sure what to do. New screen is $2k. I have an email into the dealer to see if they can do anything.

I can't believe how fragile that screen is.

Anyone? Have seen remedies of removing all of the anti-glare and maybe placing a screen protector / anti-glare screen. I found solutions from Lexard and Vikuiti.

anyone? thoughts?
      06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i

What did you used to clean the screen?
      06-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
osxcode
Lieutenant

Drives: Collection

Send a message via AIM to osxcode Send a message via Yahoo to osxcode
Cool

That happened to my first X3, dealer had to replace the screen, it was like that when I took delivery becuase someone in the prep area damaged it by accident. They are very very delicate. Only use compressed air and if you have to touch the screen, use one of those LCD cleaning cloths without any water or residue. I would only use a cloth that came with a computer and was inside wrapping. Even the smallest debris can scratch the screen on a cloth.

You basically have two options, you can remove all of the anti-glare coating and have a shiny display (you can search for how to do this), they have protective films that can cover the display.

You can replace the display at a huge cost or you could just live with it.

In the case of my X3 it drove me nuts right off the lot, my eyes kept grimacing at the scratch, especially when the light hit it. I made them replace it in fairly short order.

www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
osxcode is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*

Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [2.83]
Man this anti glare is very useful but a bish when it gets scratches =_=
      06-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
pacecapt
Private

Drives: 2014 435i & 2013 X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I had the same thing happen on my 528 and I bought universal screen protector at Walmart and installed it over the damaged screen. Not perfect but it looks better and won't have the same problem in the future.
pacecapt is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
winkyyee
Registered

Drives: X3

2011 BMW X3 OEM in-dash Navigation Screen Protector

I had a similar problem with my 2011 X3 CPO. I got this screen protector. It covers up the scratched anti-glare very nicley and looks brand new.

http://lexerd.com/

http://lexerd.com/shop/category_19/B...aram=cid%3D%26
      06-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
NordicBMW
Private

Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

I installed the Lexerd protector. It was actually a tad too wide and needed some careful trimming but the result was ok if not 100%. You can still see the scratch underneath but it is barely noticeable and much less visible compared with doing nothing. A tip i learned elsewhere on this forum is to use Scotch tape to remove all dust and particles from the screen before installing.

But the quality of the sceen coating from BMW is indeed under par IMO.
NordicBMW is offline   Norway
      06-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
nyalpine90
Major General

Drives: '15 X3 28i cCB

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkyyee View Post
I had a similar problem with my 2011 X3 CPO. I got this screen protector. It covers up the scratched anti-glare very nicley and looks brand new.

http://lexerd.com/

http://lexerd.com/shop/category_19/B...aram=cid%3D%26
      06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
osxcode
Lieutenant

Drives: Collection

Send a message via AIM to osxcode Send a message via Yahoo to osxcode
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBMW View Post
I installed the Lexerd protector. It was actually a tad too wide and needed some careful trimming but the result was ok if not 100%. You can still see the scratch underneath but it is barely noticeable and much less visible compared with doing nothing. A tip i learned elsewhere on this forum is to use Scotch tape to remove all dust and particles from the screen before installing.

But the quality of the sceen coating from BMW is indeed under par IMO.
The anti-glare works very well, it's just too soft and scratches easily. A warning should be on the screen device when you are taking delivery, or even better, they could make a scratch resistant anti-glare coating!

www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
osxcode is offline   United_States
      06-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
walendvay
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '11 F25 28i

I have a Lexerd panel on hand. A vikuiti ARMR220 is on it's way. I'll test which performs better and go that route.

The jury is out regading the removal of the residual anti-coating, or just applying the screen protector right on top.
      07-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #11
lliang
Registered

Drives: bmw535i

I used lens cleaner on the nav screen of my 535i to remove the figure prints and dirty spots, guess what, I completely removed the anti-glare coating near the bottom and right edge, and the portions are so glaring that I could not read the screen anymore under direct sun. I was very mad to myself and also pissed with the quality of the coating from BMW. I used lens cleaner on my TV screen with no problem, and also fine on my phone.

Thank for sharing the info about the protector trick, and I just ordered one online from Lexerd.

Please share your experience in applying it. I don't want to screw it up again, and I assume when it's applied, you can not remove it and reposition it again.

Thank you,
Larry

Last edited by lliang; 07-22-2014 at 12:32 AM.
      07-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #12
lliang
Registered

Drives: bmw535i

I wonder if BMW has any kind of anti-glare coating spring available that we can spring on to fix the coating. It's crazy to replace it with the cost of 2k. It's so sensitive and delicate that it's very easy to have it scraped off and I am sure many owners may have the same problem. This is just not the quality we expect from BMW.
      07-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
NordicBMW
Private

Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliang
I used lens cleaner on the nav screen of my 535i to remove the figure prints and dirty spots, guess what, I completely removed the anti-glare coating near the bottom and right edge, and the portions are so glaring that I could not read the screen anymore under direct sun. I was very mad to myself and also pissed with the quality of the coating from BMW. I used lens cleaner on my TV screen with no problem, and also fine on my phone.

Thank for sharing the info about the protector trick, and I just ordered one online from Lexerd.

Please share your experience in applying it. I don't want to screw it up again, and I assume when it's applied, you can not remove it and reposition it again.

Thank you,
Larry
I went with the Lexerd option as mentioned above. First i carefully trimmed it to exact size witout removing the protective coating (wonder why it was a tad too big in the first place) After vacuuming the surrounding area I cleaned the screen carefully with LCD cleaner (the "gel" type) and wiped gently with a soft cotton cloth.

The last preparation was to cover the screen entirely with Scotch tape (use genuine Scotch and not another too sticky tape) which was then peeled off to remove all dust residue. It's extremely important to remove absolutely all dust.

Finally I applied the screen protector wearing medical rubber gloves (the type without talc) to make sure there would be no finger marks, utilizing a discarded credit card to carefully remove air bubbles during application as per Lexerd's instructions.

Almost one year later the solution still works fine. Not as "non-glare" as the original coating but acceptable to me at least.

It is actually possible to remove the protector for re-positioning (wear rubber gloves as mentioned) but the best result is achieved by getting it right the first time. I screwed it up at my first attempt but had bought two screen protectors while I were at it and the second attempt worked out just fine.
NordicBMW is offline   Norway