BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Coolant Issues

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
mtbmaniac
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupe, 2013 X3 MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Coolant Issues

I have a 2013 X3xdrive35i with approximately 4200 miles on it. I've had to add coolant three times after the warning light came on. The first time was at roughly 600 miles when starting it up in my garage one morning. The second time was at about 1500 miles while driving on the highway and it was roughly 0 degrees F outside. The final time was last friday while driving on I70 up to Vail. There has never been any spots from leaking under the car during this time. I'm bringing it to the dealer today and thought I would see if anyone on this forum has any thoughts or ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.
mtbmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
02420X3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 666
iTrader: (0)

Most (all?) reports of low coolant levels that have been posted here have been one-time issues, where dealer pressure tests have not shown a problem, and a small top-up of the cooling system resolved the issue. The need to add coolant more than once is a problem that I don't recall seeing previously.
02420X3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,871
iTrader: (0)

You might be leaking coolant into your combusion chamber, does your car produce more white smoke than usual?
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
You might be leaking coolant into your combusion chamber, does your car produce more white smoke than usual?
Check oil to see if white/milky - oh, wait,... no dipstick.
But electronic measurement in iDrive could also tell if overfilled (e.g. if enough coolant mixed with oil and it was at maximum to begin with).
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Check oil to see if white/milky - oh, wait,... no dipstick.
But electronic measurement in iDrive could also tell if overfilled (e.g. if enough coolant mixed with oil and it was at maximum to begin with).
Usually, if coolant is in the oil, you should be able to tell by looking in through the oil filler nozzle. Either way, the thing is under warranty and will be repaired at no charge to you. My guess is that it is simply a leak at a connection somewhere that probably only leaks when under pressure (i.e. under load with the everything hot) and therefore you maybe losing coolant while driving but not while parked.

FYI, I added coolant to mine as well but I did so proactively because of threads I saw here... never got a warning light. My bottle was just below the min so I added 8 - 10 oz. and got it up to just under the max line. Seems like many were underfilled at the factory... my guess is that has to do with a misprint in their build manual or some sort of issue with their air purging process.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
mtbmaniac
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupe, 2013 X3 MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

I spoke to the service coordinator this morning two hours after dropping off the X3. They said they conducted a pressure check and everything appeared normal. They also stated that it is normal for these engines to consume coolant and that I should not be concerned. I asked to speak to the service manager to voice my concern that having my low coolant light come on three times in under 4000 miles is considered normal. We had a civil discussion and I asked them to check multiple other variables, some of which were mentioned in previous posts. I received a call back a few hours later and they said that a slow leak was found on a line on the bottom half of the motor and a new hose would have to be ordered from Germany. I thanked them for their diagnosis of the problem and will now wait for the part to arrive in a week or two.

I can't help but feel frustrated by this entire experience. First, since when is adding coolant three times in two months to a vehicle considered normal? I am a previous multiple Audi owner over the past twelve years and have never had to add coolant to any of the three vehicles I had. Secondly, why can't the service department take the time to thoroughly do their job?

I guess I just had to rant a little bit about the experience. At the end of the day, the problem was identified and will be corrected without any damage done to the vehicle. Thanks to everyone for responding and offereing your advice.
mtbmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmaniac View Post
I spoke to the service coordinator this morning two hours after dropping off the X3. They said they conducted a pressure check and everything appeared normal. They also stated that it is normal for these engines to consume coolant and that I should not be concerned. I asked to speak to the service manager to voice my concern that having my low coolant light come on three times in under 4000 miles is considered normal. We had a civil discussion and I asked them to check multiple other variables, some of which were mentioned in previous posts. I received a call back a few hours later and they said that a slow leak was found on a line on the bottom half of the motor and a new hose would have to be ordered from Germany. I thanked them for their diagnosis of the problem and will now wait for the part to arrive in a week or two.

I can't help but feel frustrated by this entire experience. First, since when is adding coolant three times in two months to a vehicle considered normal? I am a previous multiple Audi owner over the past twelve years and have never had to add coolant to any of the three vehicles I had. Secondly, why can't the service department take the time to thoroughly do their job?

I guess I just had to rant a little bit about the experience. At the end of the day, the problem was identified and will be corrected without any damage done to the vehicle. Thanks to everyone for responding and offereing your advice.
I had Audi, MB and BMW vehicles and never had to add coolant. Having to add three times in two months is, without a doubt, abnormal. Let us know the final outcome, after the hose is replaced.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
wrp
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmaniac View Post
I spoke to the service coordinator this morning two hours after dropping off the X3. They said they conducted a pressure check and everything appeared normal. They also stated that it is normal for these engines to consume coolant and that I should not be concerned. I asked to speak to the service manager to voice my concern that having my low coolant light come on three times in under 4000 miles is considered normal. We had a civil discussion and I asked them to check multiple other variables, some of which were mentioned in previous posts. I received a call back a few hours later and they said that a slow leak was found on a line on the bottom half of the motor and a new hose would have to be ordered from Germany. I thanked them for their diagnosis of the problem and will now wait for the part to arrive in a week or two.

I can't help but feel frustrated by this entire experience. First, since when is adding coolant three times in two months to a vehicle considered normal? I am a previous multiple Audi owner over the past twelve years and have never had to add coolant to any of the three vehicles I had. Secondly, why can't the service department take the time to thoroughly do their job?

I guess I just had to rant a little bit about the experience. At the end of the day, the problem was identified and will be corrected without any damage done to the vehicle. Thanks to everyone for responding and offereing your advice.
This is a big loose-loose situation. It sounds like they already charged BMW for the time the service tech spent to not find any problems, and they really can't charge BMW to look at the same problem so soon. So the subsequent time that is spent to check again is on the dealer clock, which will make any dealer get nasty.

Plus dealers don't like to admit that any of their service techs ever do anything wrong. And now you've been marked as a whiny customer, so you'll always get substandard service - until the dealer is either acquired by someone else or they get a major kick in the ass by BMW.
wrp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp View Post
This is a big loose-loose situation. It sounds like they already charged BMW for the time the service tech spent to not find any problems, and they really can't charge BMW to look at the same problem so soon. So the subsequent time that is spent to check again is on the dealer clock, which will make any dealer get nasty.

Plus dealers don't like to admit that any of their service techs ever do anything wrong. And now you've been marked as a whiny customer, so you'll always get substandard service - until the dealer is either acquired by someone else or they get a major kick in the ass by BMW.
While that may be be true in isolated cases, I don't think it fairly characterizes all BMW dealership service departments.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
centexE9x
Private
 
Drives: e9x coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: austin

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Everyone chill. There is problems with the VW looking coolant tanks that BMW has switched to. The coolant level sensors leak into the connector and cause a false low coolant light to come on. Have it checked and fixed. No problem. There is a BMW bulletin addressing this issue.
centexE9x is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexE9x View Post
Everyone chill. There is problems with the VW looking coolant tanks that BMW has switched to. The coolant level sensors leak into the connector and cause a false low coolant light to come on. Have it checked and fixed. No problem. There is a BMW bulletin addressing this issue.
Some people are not having false low coolant light but actual coolant loss. There are threads about it.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
wrp
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
While that may be be true in isolated cases, I don't think it fairly characterizes all BMW dealership service departments.
Yes I agree - there are some isolated cases where BMW dealers are nice, but most dealers are not.
wrp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

If you are lucky enough to find a good dealer, your experience becomes more positive. My SA is an avid BMW fanatic who owns several BMW's (some vintage 2002's, 635,...) and he takes all problems seriously, as if they were his own.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,426
iTrader: (0)

I'm calling BS on the stealership.

The car cannot pass a coolant pressure test with a leak anywhere in the coolant system.
__________________
2013, AW, xDrive35i, M Sport Package, Technology Package, Dynamic Comfort Package, Premium Package, 3M Clear Bra, Euro foglight switch, a few coded fixes
lbjgh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST