BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Build quaility comparison X3 vs GLK

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
jsl1419
Private
 
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Build quaility comparison X3 vs GLK

Just want to show both models' door build quality side by side.

At least BMW don't use thin vinyl barrier for the door like american brands do. Mercedes use 3M thinsulate foam for sound deadening. BMW use it for 6 series up.
Attached Images
    
jsl1419 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,689
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, and the GLK's door whumps shut. The X3's door clanks into place.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8); 2015 Porsche Macan S (on order)
xDrive35i is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Yeah, and the GLK's door whumps shut. The X3's door clanks into place.
Coming from a C300, I knew I should have test driven the GLK350 . Depending on how it goes with the X3, I might find myself back there in a couple or few.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
MetaX
Private
 
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

Anyone thinking about adding some Dynamat to the doors?
MetaX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
halfalife
Private
 
Drives: 2.0D MSPORT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: uk

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Bothered ?
halfalife is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
 
Chris55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

This is some sort of joke... right?
Chris55 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
mge.92
SPEED RACER
 
mge.92's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 28I M SPORT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Honestly you are really nitpicking. The BMW x3 is a wonderful car and is better than the GLK from Mercedes by miles. The looks of the GLK is awful and is worse to drive than the x3. Seriously guys, it doesn't matter how the door shuts just as long as it shuts and works and it doesn't matter what insulation there is just as long as it is quiet. If you don't like the x3 why buy it!
mge.92 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
TomBlue
New Member
 
Drives: X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

An auto engineer once told me the whole thing with the sound of a car door closing is just what they use for sound deadening. That thunk, has nothing to do with how solid the vehicle is.
TomBlue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
roundtree
Private
 
roundtree's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Frisco, TX, USA

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
2012 BMW X3  [5.00]
I would be interested in seeing things beyond the door insulation. Personally, I couldn't stand the completely idiotic layout of the controls in the GLK or the C300, both on/around the steering wheel and center console. The X3 controls are fantastic, mostly.

+1 @ mge.92. The X3 was such a better drive, for me, that the sound of the door wasn't really part of the evaluation.
roundtree is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
plymjack
First Lieutenant
 
plymjack's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D SE Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
Honestly you are really nitpicking. The BMW x3 is a wonderful car and is better than the GLK from Mercedes by miles. The looks of the GLK is awful and is worse to drive than the x3. Seriously guys, it doesn't matter how the door shuts just as long as it shuts and works and it doesn't matter what insulation there is just as long as it is quiet. If you don't like the x3 why buy it!
+1

Just rushed and and open and shut the doors... a nice sound it is too....

- and I checked the date and it is not April 1st?
__________________
Dont and

BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d SE . . Alpine White. . Oyster Leather . . 8 Speed Servotronic. .RFTs. . High Beam Assist. . Electric Seats . . DAB Radio. .USB/Bluetooth
plymjack is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
jsl1419
Private
 
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
+1

Just rushed and and open and shut the doors... a nice sound it is too....

- and I checked the date and it is not April 1st?
I know X3 is great car and much better than GLK.

Just disappointed with inconsistent materials and build quality throughout all models unlike MB.

I'm not talking about powertrain and chassis.

Here is F12 door that shows solid plastic cover bolted with 3M thinsulate damping. Also holes for clips is surrounded by rubber seal.

Tech said F25 and F30 has clips in the door panel for damping materials but BMW didn't put it in.

3M thinsulate is great material for sound damping and water resistent, most european luxury brands using it.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by jsl1419; 01-17-2013 at 11:02 AM.
jsl1419 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
DonC
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: near Seattle

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

So dump the F25 and buy the GLK - why whine about it?
__________________
2013 X3 3.5i AW,Msprt,rear fogs,PS,CP, Tech, etc...
Other cars
2005 S2000
2007 TL-S
DonC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,689
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC
So dump the F25 and buy the GLK - why whine about it?
Well that's not fair. You can like a car and still have gripes. This isn't complaining or whining, it's just talking. People who sell cars over this stuff are crazy and rare. It's more of a, "I'll be more mindful of this next time, but my car is great and it's hardly a punishment to live with."
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8); 2015 Porsche Macan S (on order)
xDrive35i is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
buze
Owner
 
Drives: F25 2.0d Manual
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berkshire, Powys

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Well that's not fair. You can like a car and still have gripes. This isn't complaining or whining, it's just talking. People who sell cars over this stuff are crazy and rare. It's more of a, "I'll be more mindful of this next time, but my car is great and it's hardly a punishment to live with."
Agree, in fact, we had a thread about the noise at the back of the car just a few days ago, so it /is/ relevant, and if it's not said and noticed, next time, there'll be even less insulation ...
__________________
Received 13-03-01. 2.0d Manual:Sparkling Bronze:Red/Brown Leather:Alu Trim:Run Flats:Xenons:Auto Headlights:Moonroof:Thermal Glass:Sunblinds:Comfort Access:Electric Tailgate:Electric Seats:Lumbar:Extended Storage:Top view cam...
buze is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Coming from a C300, I knew I should have test driven the GLK350 . Depending on how it goes with the X3, I might find myself back there in a couple or few.
My friend still regrets buying his GLK.....
gareth12468 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
My friend still regrets buying his GLK.....
Just took delivery of my X3 (and video was available same day ). Still in love,...hope it lasts.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
roundtree
Private
 
roundtree's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Frisco, TX, USA

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
2012 BMW X3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Just took delivery of my X3 (and video was available same day ). Still in love,...hope it lasts.
I'm a year in and still very much in love, even if I have gripes. I only wish I had been able to wait 4-5 months to get the new Eco features like Start-Stop and EcoPro.
roundtree is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
bluedevils
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC LI (originally Vancouver, BC)

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
I'm a year in and still very much in love, even if I have gripes. I only wish I had been able to wait 4-5 months to get the new Eco features like Start-Stop and EcoPro.
+1. It would have been nice to have those features. How much weight does the insulation add?
bluedevils is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
 
Chris55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl1419 View Post
I know X3 is great car and much better than GLK.

Just disappointed with inconsistent materials and build quality throughout all models unlike MB.

I'm not talking about powertrain and chassis.

Here is F12 door that shows solid plastic cover bolted with 3M thinsulate damping. Also holes for clips is surrounded by rubber seal.

Tech said F25 and F30 has clips in the door panel for damping materials but BMW didn't put it in.

3M thinsulate is great material for sound damping and water resistent, most european luxury brands using it.
"Sound damping and water resistant"?! Could be used as the ultimate diaper!
Chris55 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST