BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » 10K+ Oil Changes

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
 
HighPlainsCruiser's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

10K+ Oil Changes

It was none other than Consumer Reports who did a study of a large number of cars that had driven over 200,000 miles and determined that the one common denominator they all had was that they changed the oil at least every 3500 miles. How do you folks feel about the much larger distance between changes that BMW is using?
__________________
Non-Sport
All Options Except Lane Change Warning and Cold Weather II
Car Name: Princess
HighPlainsCruiser is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
noka
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsCruiser View Post
It was none other than Consumer Reports who did a study of a large number of cars that had driven over 200,000 miles and determined that the one common denominator they all had was that they changed the oil at least every 3500 miles. How do you folks feel about the much larger distance between changes that BMW is using?
I think it would depend on whether using conventional or synthetic oil and what type. From what I have read, there is zero benefit to changing synthetic oil that often.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired: '09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, '01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i,... '86 4000 CS Quattro... too many to list.
noka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
rory breaker
Private First Class
 
Drives: C63
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Way too many variables. Most accurate way to do it would be to do oil analyses during intervals - new, 3k, 7k etc. With modern Syns 9x out of 10 you lose very little oil performance through 10k. 3500 is no longer relevant for most applications.
rory breaker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Broch
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X3 35d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aberdeenshire

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

I changed the oil around 9500 miles.
Before this change the OBC would show 510 - 520 miles range on a full tank.
Now, although just 2 top ups since the oil change, the OBC is showing 600+ both times..
So I beleive it was worth it just for the extra miles per tank
__________________
X3 35d M-Sport
Broch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
DonC
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: near Seattle

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Having mine changed on the 7th with 10K miles...
__________________
2013 X3 3.5i AW,Msprt,rear fogs,PS,CP, Tech, etc...
Other cars
2005 S2000
2007 TL-S
DonC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
plymjack
First Lieutenant
 
plymjack's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D SE Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
I changed the oil around 9500 miles.
Before this change the OBC would show 510 - 520 miles range on a full tank.
Now, although just 2 top ups since the oil change, the OBC is showing 600+ both times..
So I beleive it was worth it just for the extra miles per tank
You cant say that is because of an oil change. Much more likely to be simple bedding in/freeing up of the engine and drive train. - If you really got a 15% saving in fuel consumption a lot of other people would have noticed it by now.
__________________
Dont and

BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d SE . . Alpine White. . Oyster Leather . . 8 Speed Servotronic. .RFTs. . High Beam Assist. . Electric Seats . . DAB Radio. .USB/Bluetooth
plymjack is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Rogerbu
Private
 
Drives: X3 3.0D M Sport, Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portsmouth, UK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

I changed my oil (to Castrol Edge FST 0W30 BMW Oil Filter) at 9000 miles and the consumption has definately got 10% worse!
Rogerbu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Broch
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X3 35d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aberdeenshire

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
You cant say that is because of an oil change.
plyjack, you are correct in what you say.

I stated 3 facts.
Fact 1 = I changed my oil
Fact 2 = Before the oil change, the OBC would show 510-520m/tank
Fact 3 = After the oil change, the OBC has shown 600+m/tank, twice.

It's too early to tell, and only future top ups will tell, but in the meantime,,,I'm a happy camper
__________________
X3 35d M-Sport
Broch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Sco
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: X3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
I changed the oil around 9500 miles.
Before this change the OBC would show 510 - 520 miles range on a full tank.
Now, although just 2 top ups since the oil change, the OBC is showing 600+ both times..
So I beleive it was worth it just for the extra miles per tank
Could it just be that the OBC takes into account your recent driving style when calculating the range in the tank? If you have been driving more efficiently since the oil change it may have revised the range figure. Or perhaps you have put more fuel in than previously?
Sco is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Rodion
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: X3 (F25)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

Interesting. My OBC gives me 10 000 miles to oil change... and I have 13 000 miles on the clock now.

Also next service is due 12/2013, even though the car was manufactured 12/2011.

So I am yet to experience oil change and its effects on consumption.
Rodion is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Eurocar11
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

It's interesting that in years past when the customer paid for maintenance, BMW recommended shorter oil change intervals. Now that they are footing the bill, oil change intervals have lengthened. Draw your own conclusions from that.

My oil change philosophy comes from my late father, a life-long mechanic. As he was fond of saying, "Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive."

So I changed the oil (myself) in our X3 at 1,500 miles and again at 4,000 miles. Didn't do an analysis, but the oil was pitch black both times. I'll probably change it again around 7,500 miles. After that.....for "mature" engines I usually change the oil every 9 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. Synthetic of course. (Mobil 1 0w-40)

At around $45 per oil change, I consider it cheap insurance.

As always, your mileage (and opinions) may vary.
Eurocar11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
lbjgh
Major
 
lbjgh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North of Toronto

Posts: 1,451
iTrader: (0)

Are you just doing a transfusion or filter and oil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurocar11 View Post
It's interesting that in years past when the customer paid for maintenance, BMW recommended shorter oil change intervals. Now that they are footing the bill, oil change intervals have lengthened. Draw your own conclusions from that.

My oil change philosophy comes from my late father, a life-long mechanic. As he was fond of saying, "Oil is cheap. Engines are expensive."

So I changed the oil (myself) in our X3 at 1,500 miles and again at 4,000 miles. Didn't do an analysis, but the oil was pitch black both times. I'll probably change it again around 7,500 miles. After that.....for "mature" engines I usually change the oil every 9 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. Synthetic of course. (Mobil 1 0w-40)

At around $45 per oil change, I consider it cheap insurance.

As always, your mileage (and opinions) may vary.
__________________
2013, AW, xDrive35i, M Sport Package, Technology Package, Dynamic Comfort Package, Premium Package, 3M Clear Bra, Euro foglight switch, a few coded fixes
lbjgh is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #13
colson79
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wisconsin

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

The 3,000 mile oil change interval has been around since the 50's and back then the oil was inferior, so was the gas, and vehicles didn't run nearly as clean as they do now. With all the improvements to oil, gas, filters, and vehicles in the past 60 years I'm not surprise that pretty much everyone auto manufacture is now recommends much longer oil changes. If you are sticking to 3,000 mile oil changes you are just wasting money and resources.
__________________
2012 X3 35i | Deep Sea Blue | Oyster |
Packages | Sports | Cold Weather | Cold Weather 2 | Premium | Technology | Premium Sound
colson79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
daninny
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Cayman S
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsCruiser View Post
It was none other than Consumer Reports who did a study of a large number of cars that had driven over 200,000 miles and determined that the one common denominator they all had was that they changed the oil at least every 3500 miles. How do you folks feel about the much larger distance between changes that BMW is using?
I agree with a prior poster that there are way too many variables to come to a definite conclusion. A reasonable explanation for the above could be that people who change their oil more often take better care of their cars overall and other variables (or a combination of factors) may account for the longer lasting cars and not just the oil change.
daninny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,876
iTrader: (0)

When was the test done? One which vehicles? With which oils?

And how many of us honestly intend to keep driving this car that long before getting a newer one?

The above said, I did two "interim" oil changes on mine applying the "cheap insurance" concept in the early miles of the engine. After those, I'll just be sticking to the schedule.
__________________
Nahoa is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (0)

I changed my oil and filter following break-in (at about 3,000 km) as I've seen many oil analyses on these forums that show it is a good idea. My car shows that it will be due for the first scheduled oil change at about 24,000 km. From now on, I will most likely change the oil after every winter (once annually) or split the 24,000 km in half and do 12,000 km per oil change.
epiphone3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
pokerface
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pokerface's Avatar
 
Drives: B8 A4 2.0T
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
plyjack, you are correct in what you say.

I stated 3 facts.
Fact 1 = I changed my oil
Fact 2 = Before the oil change, the OBC would show 510-520m/tank
Fact 3 = After the oil change, the OBC has shown 600+m/tank, twice.

It's too early to tell, and only future top ups will tell, but in the meantime,,,I'm a happy camper
On my N52 E90, I got much better fuel economy and performance (seems to have freed up the engine) after my first ol change at 10,000kms. After that, I did not notice any improvement from subsequent oil changes.

I think it was more related to break-in oil and the break-in process itself.
__________________
F25 X3 N20:

2010 B8 A4 2.0T quattro (current)/
2013 F25 X3 x28 N20 (babymobile)
pokerface is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST