BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Light crunching / rustling sound coming from dash

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
MattUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
632
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Light crunching / rustling sound coming from dash

The in the last few weeks, when driving I have a little crunching / rustling sound coming from inside the dash, and I can't for the life of me work out what it is, or where exactly it is coming from.

When stopped it doesn't do it, even when driving lightly I hear it, its not the air systems, since if I turn that off / close all the vents, I still heat it.. seems to be coming from the bottom of the windscreen, but I have no idea.. and I know that if I show a dealer this they are not likely going to be able to do much without ripping out the dash, which would probably cost and end up with a worse rattle.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this, or has any idea?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
4
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Does is change slightly when you go over a speed bump ie as the body flexes? Does it sound as though it is coming from the bottom of the windscreen?

I had something similar and there is a fix if it is the same thing.

It's pretty hard to explain without pics but I will take some in the next few days if it sounds the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
MattUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
632
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Not that I have noticed.. I got the impression it was more when I was turning the steering wheel, but I will listen out for it in case it does change over bumps, thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
clivem2
Captain
14
Rep
869
Posts

 
Drives: F25 35D MSport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
Does is change slightly when you go over a speed bump ie as the body flexes? Does it sound as though it is coming from the bottom of the windscreen?

I had something similar and there is a fix if it is the same thing.

It's pretty hard to explain without pics but I will take some in the next few days if it sounds the same thing.
I have this......pls let me know the fix!
__________________
F25 35D | MSport | Space Grey | Saddle | Burr Walnut | VDC | Reversing Camera | Xenons | Panoramic Roof | Matt Aluminium Roof Rails & Window Trim

Dec 2014
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
MattUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
632
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Listened like an idiot yesterday and it does seem to make the noise more over bumps / uneven road yes..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
4
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

I will try explain but I won't get chance to do pictures for a few days.

Under the bonnet, you will see a rubber seal running the width if the car in front of the windscreen wipers. This is slotted onto a plastic cover, which itself is screwed into another plastic cover (one screw at either end).

It is the contact between these two pieces of plastic that makes the noise.

If you slide off the rubber seal and unscrew the first piece of plastic you will see two arms protruding - it is these arms that made the noise on mine.

Before you take it all apart you can just push the pieces of plastic to make them move slightly and you should hear the noise.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
MattUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
632
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks, ill take a look.

How did you stop the noise from occuring? just tightening it up? or applying some magic fix
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
45
Rep
1,784
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Macan S
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK
Thanks, ill take a look.

How did you stop the noise from occuring? just tightening it up? or applying some magic fix
I'd like to know as well. I've been driving my A4 almost exclusively to avoid dealing with a seemingly unfixable clunk from the front in my X3. If this is in fact the culprit, I will be ecstatic. Not a single service tech can help me out here. My A4 is a dream though--it's a whole two years older than my X3 and seems to be better built, it is quieter, and has exhibited less wear. I wish I could have the 35i in the A4...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
gareth3685
Private First Class
4
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I think I have this noise too, its not clunk more of a rustle.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Want the thrill
Major
17
Rep
1,156
Posts

 
Drives: X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 X3 35i  [3.88]
I have this noise as well and it happens often, but not all the time. Drives me nuts. It's such a strange noise I can never figure out where it is coming from other than the fact that it sounds like it is near the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
gareth3685
Private First Class
4
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

So it seems like the cause of the sound is known, does anybody know what you need to do to stop it?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
MattUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
632
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Took the rubber strip off, but couldnt see any point in removing the bars, as it just seems to be a void down there..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
JensM
Private
Switzerland
0
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X5 30D MSport 2012
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Mine 2011 X3 do the same....driving me nuts+
Sound like coming below the windshield.
Please post some pic to show how to fix

Thanks
Jens
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
4
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Guys. Sorry it is taking a while to get some pics I am completely bombed with work. I will try get this sorted in the next few days.

In the meantime take comfort that there is a fix !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
gareth3685
Private First Class
4
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Bump.

Would like to know solution to this rustling.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
3Bimmer
Private First Class
3Bimmer's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I will try explain but I won't get chance to do pictures for a few days.

Under the bonnet, you will see a rubber seal running the width if the car in front of the windscreen wipers. This is slotted onto a plastic cover, which itself is screwed into another plastic cover (one screw at either end).

It is the contact between these two pieces of plastic that makes the noise.

If you slide off the rubber seal and unscrew the first piece of plastic you will see two arms protruding - it is these arms that made the noise on mine.

Before you take it all apart you can just push the pieces of plastic to make them move slightly and you should hear the noise.

Good luck.
Did you put felt on these two arms? I think I have this noise, but it is so subtle that it is hard to tell sometimes.

Thanks for offering to put up some pics -- it looks like there are few of us interested in this fix!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Jurisprudent's Avatar
5
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Add me to the list of those waiting... Just started doing this a few days ago.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
gareth3685
Private First Class
4
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've booked mine in to get this looked at (along with a creaky seat). Hoping I can resolve it myself beforehand as the last thing I want is the dealership taking the dash out as I'm sure that would leave me with more rattles than I have now!

I joke that I never have to wash our Mini as its so regulary in the dealership (mostly for curing rattles), I hope the X3 isn't going to follow in its footsteps.

Last edited by gareth3685; 10-11-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Jurisprudent's Avatar
5
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Please report back what you find out
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
bimmerz
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
bafdonnelly
Bryan D
England
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2,0D F25 Black
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northumberland UK

iTrader: (0)

Light crunching sound from dash area.

After reading this forum I fixed the problem within 10 minutes after realising it came from under the bonnet and not behind the dashboard.

Open the bonnet and find the rubber seal close to the hinges that goes right across the car. This rubber seal unclips easily,(take note where it clips to for when you replace it ). then prise the plastic cover open slightly (you do not need to remove it) and you can see a square peg with a step on it, under the panel, the panel rests on this. There are two. one on either side of the car. All I did was to use a bit of 2 x 2" x !/2" foam and covered the step and pushed the cover back down and replaced the rubber seal. The seal just clips back on. Took 10 minutes and the car drives quietly, free at last from that irritating noise. Its been driving me mad and spoiling the pleasure of driving this great BMW.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited by bafdonnelly; 10-21-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
philtrick123
Lieutenant
6
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: TBA
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maidenhead

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafdonnelly View Post
After reading this forum I fixed the problem within 10 minutes after realising it came from under the bonnet and not behind the dashboard.

Open the bonnet and find the rubber seal close to the hinges that goes right across the car. This rubber seal unclips easily,(take note where it clips to for when you replace it ). then prise the plastic cover open slightly (you do not need to remove it) and you can see a square peg with a step on it, under the panel, the panel rests on this. There are two. one on either side of the car. All I did was to use a bit of 2 x 2" x !/2" foam and covered the step and pushed the cover back down and replaced the rubber seal. The seal just clips back on. Took 10 minutes and the car drives quietly, free at last from that irritating noise. Its been driving me mad and spoiling the pleasure of driving this great BMW.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.
bafdonnelly- Any chance of posting some pictures of your 'mod'
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST