BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Arrow Chasing the Tiger... The BMW X4M.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Chasing
The
Tiger…

The BMW X4M.

With Porsche about to introduce a new performance niche based on the highly successful Cayenne Concept with the more compact and volume friendly Macan.

BMW and BMW M are in the process of developing a significant competitor that when it comes to the market in 2015. It meets the Macan with a roar rather than a whimper.

Both the Macan and X4 are significant to their parent companies fortunes. The success of both the Cayenne in its two generations and the X6 has led to demand for smaller similar highly focused concepts embodying the style , image and similar performance level in a much more compact and price effective package.

The success of the BMW X6M has taken BMW by surprise which in some markets and in this case key strategic growth markets X6M outsells the M3 and M5. M Consider the X6M as a “volume” model, although it does not sell in the usual quantities of BMW’s volume models. The amounts of X6M models that have been sold globally are considered “volume” by M. standards. Given the market reaction to the BMW X6 and BMW X6M. BMW has investigated the prospect of a further Sport Activity Concept in regards to the global market for the X6 which has surpassed initial BMW Expectations by tripling its sales projection since introduction in early 2008.

The success of the X6 has also pushed other manufacturers into developing similar concepts by combining sporty dynamic looks with luxury and high performance. The next phase of the luxury market and further expansion of luxury SUV vehicles.

BMW got there first.

Investigation into an X4 concept was further buoyed when it was revealed that the pre-owned market for the X6 was also extremely buoyant especially in markets where the X6 reigned.

The BMW X4 Concept was inevitable.

Given the progress of high performance SUV type vehicles and indeed the BMW X6M as a highly successful sales concept. The art of progress leads BMW to conform that in today’s market- potentially an X4M has A- to be more successful than the X6M due to accessibility and B to outsell the equivalent M3 Sedan in key strategic markets again like the X6M.

With the introduction of the Porsche Macan as the first high performance SUV concept in this segment. Development continues apace within BMW M’s engineering division in Garching.

Effectively dubbed internally as “An M3 on stilts” The X4M is being taken seriously as a concept in order to fulfill accessible performance for a Performance SUV and offer all-wheel-drive, a concept investigated and rejected for the current M5 and M3 and one of the decisions that led to the creation of the BMW M Performance brand.

POWERTRAIN / DRIVETRAIN

With media reports disclosing the Macan Turbo using a 360 HP V6 before any sub-sequent Turbo S and indeed like the Cayenne a GTS model. BMW are keen to make the point , that although X4M will have the advantage of the numbers game , the focus is on delivering that power in a dynamically competitive way that matches typical Porsche precision.

The X4M will feature the same M3 in-line six cylinder engine that is derived from an extensively reworked N55 with the latest in BMW’s advanced induction and bi-vanos variable valve timing technology. This will drive all four wheels via an M-engineered Torque sensing differential with the rear axle featuring a more advanced electronically controlled torque vectoring system from the rear wheels to improve cornering grip. BMW X4M will also benefit from specific springs, bushes and damping rates.

Chassis engineering will pay special attention to the cars dynamics. With the brief for the engineers focusing on providing the X4M with a more sporting and dynamic character with emphasis on traction, poise and grip by comprehensively retuning the donor X3’s underpinnings.

The key to opening up the X4M to a wider audience is actually delivering a level of precision that matches that typical expectation of a BMW M car.

Further developments inherited from the M3 will be the adoption of BMW M’s Electro-mechanical steering which has been specially developed and adapted for M cars to reflect pure driver-car communication. Given the situation of the market BMW only see need for the X4M to be available with a revised M-DCT transmission albeit with altered ratios to suit the car. With X6M only available as an automatic and the next generation also benefitting from an M-DCT. BMW do not see the justification for a manual given the scope of potential X4M markets.

As like the M3, The X4M will also intensively feature BMW EfficientDynamics technology such as engine stop-start, brake energy regeneration and on-demand operation of engine ancillaries.

STYLING

The overall look of the X4 very much takes its appearance from its larger X6 brother and is basically in overall concept a shrunken down version. X4 continues the more dynamic appearance with a low-wide stance and sleek profile. Height difference between the (current) X6 and X4 shows the X4 to be 40mm lower than its sibling.

The appearance is derived from the X3 but updates the details in terms of headlight placement and the addition of a more contemporary connected three-dimensional twin kidney grille.

The X4M inherits typical M aerodynamics with a more emphasis on sharper outlines to conform with the more chiseled X4 image. A deeper front bumper with large ducts for effective cooling for the engine and brakes with a more current M-Type kidney grille , exterior mirrors , subtle rear boot lid spoiler , traditional quad exhausts and in between them a functioning diffuser. The sharper look may conform more to form than function but it is truly the opposite here.

One of the biggest additions to the X4M will be the option of a full CFRP roof , a first for an XM but will also be available for the X6M to provide the lowest possible centre of gravity. Other weight reduction enhancements also include an aluminum intensive chassis and body panels.

The interior of the X4 will receive a modern contemporary interior of current BMW standards including revised upper dashboard to incorporate a floating flat screen monitor. Seating will accommodate five passengers with optional seating for four.

M PERFORMANCE MODEL

As well as a Fully-fledged BMW X4M, BMW are also investigating two options for their M Performance brand based on the X4.
The first uses a detuned version of the N57S found within the M50d models, expected to be designated as M40d and a vehicle created to appeal to tax conscious and efficiency driven European market.

The second is a forthcoming upgraded N55 which is previewed in the BMW Zagato Concept Car, with power of 400 hp and part of the latest EfficientDynamics family the model is expected to wear an M40i badge. This engine is expected to appear first in the M Performance BMW Z4 in 2013 after the LCi car is unveiled at the NAIAS in January.

The BMW X3 could also take advantage of the M Performance engines.
Attached Images

07-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Thx for the info, Scott. I will definitely consider it when it's time to upgrade my x3. You mentioned the x4m will take advantage of the engine in the upcoming m3/4, so is it safe to assume the x4m will produce around 450hp? If so, am very excited about it. Additionally, the extensive use of the next gen m3/4 parts will make it a serious contender.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

SCOTT26 is so working for BMW!

Sounds good though (but then it would), especially on the power front!

BMW could save money and have a fat guy sit on the roof of an X3 like the X5 became an X6. Job done!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

400hp in the Z4 will be interesting. Hopefully the suspension complaints will be addressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Bmw can u stop introducing so many ranges of choice.. Its so confusing!
      07-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
CF roof....wooooooo!

All you need now is a nice carbon hood/trunk and you're balling.
It would be amazing too to see it sub 4.5s, 0-62.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

While a carbon roof addresses the high centre of gravity issue it neglects the reason people chose these over sedans and coupes - they are seeking utility and comfort; eg sunroof and roof carrying. Carbon is a problem for both. Hope they are smart enough to make it optional.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Dear BMW:

Can you please come up with models in reply to the following also?
- Hyundai Velostar Turbo
- Honda Fit EV
- Chevy Tahoe/Ford Expedition
- Scion iQ

Okay, thank you. Bye now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

This vehicle sounds great. Can't wait to see more information. I am also interested in the Macan.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Awesome!!!

Does anyone have an estimate price point?
      07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
For Canadian market it would probably start at $60k+ BMW tax + government tax + SA's tax = $74k

Just under what a new X6 would cost ahah
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
It's not like BMW wants to just introduce model after model. With the premium luxury segment so competitive, companies don't want to miss an opportunity or allow a competitor to run away with sales no matter how unnecessary we think they might be.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Interesting. I like hearing that the N55 will be "EXTENSIVELY" reworked for the M3 and subsequently the X4M

I do think the carbon roof is counterintuitive for a SAV. Its already jacked up by nature so clearly a low center of gravity is not in the vehicles formula. The people who buy an SAV are most likely not concerned about a low center of gravity either. Theyre probably looking for comfort, utility, and speed.

The carbon roof is a good sign though. If it is going to be thrown so frivolously on these SAVs then BMW must anticipate reaching a level where manufacturing CFRP is cost effective. Hopefully that means we'll see it used more extensively in upcoming vehicles.

I think the X4M will be a popular vehicle.

Scott. When are we suppose to be seeing the X3M? In 2014?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Is it really brake energy regeneration (as in brake energy capture) or just a smart alternator?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Dear BMW:

Can you please come up with models in reply to the following also?
- Hyundai Velostar Turbo
- Honda Fit EV
- Chevy Tahoe/Ford Expedition
- Scion iQ

Okay, thank you. Bye now.
I am still waiting for this:

Name:  bmw_pickup_lg.jpg
Views: 11032
Size:  30.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I wish BMW would stop trying to fill gaps in the market. Eventually they are going to go the way of GM with too much R&D to keep so many variants going.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X5M

This could be my next car.
      07-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I wish BMW would stop trying to fill gaps in the market. Eventually they are going to go the way of GM with too much R&D to keep so many variants going.
I agree with you. They're going to become jack of all trades, master of none, and that will be their fate most likely, as I see them trying to please more markets. Here's a few things I don't appreciate:

1). Substituting Hydraulic Steering with Electronic

2). Minimizing the Negative Camber in read wheels.

3). Putting on Run-Flats on the cars, and not making it into an optional choice.

4). __________________. The more knowledgeable BMW owners can fill in the gaps obviously.

With all the things the car now says, beeps, suggests, controls, regulates, etc. on it's own, the Driver will soon be termed "Passive Passenger". Cmmon, is it really helping to make the mind dependent on the car to such an extent, that some people may not even look back anymore when they're backing up with a camera, or bother checking lane... the more technology becomes a master, the more we become a slave. Thin line here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
That render looks like a 3rd grader drew it.
      07-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
mmzcee
Rep
Drives: Silverstone 2001 M5

Stupid .
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
It's not like BMW wants to just introduce model after model. With the premium luxury segment so competitive, companies don't want to miss an opportunity or allow a competitor to run away with sales no matter how unnecessary we think they might be.
I agreed with u. If BMW only introducing X4M then its ok. But if they intro X4 35i . Tats realli confusing. Where does it stand? We already have x3? N isnt Macan suppose to compete with X3?
      07-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Recapping some of the more interesting notes, along with some theories:
  1. I believe this is the first time Scott himself has confirmed that the F8X will come with a revised N55 inline-6. Still no word on displacement.
  2. BMW's x40i engine will also be based on a revised N55 producing 400hp. BMW is really getting its money worth from the N54 and N55 platforms...
  3. X4M will get a CF roof option, next-gen X6M will too.
  4. X4M will have electro-mechanical steering, all but confirming that the F8X will.
  5. X4 will get two M Performance models underneath the X4M -- one diesel, one petrol. X3 will likely get the same ones too.
  6. "Z4 sDrive 35is" moniker will be replaced with "M Z40i" or something similar after its LCI, and get a power bump with that revised N55.
  7. It's likely that the F32 will debut with an M Performance model wearing this same revised N55 -- M440i. I'd expect the F30 to get a similar treatment with an M340i at the same time.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0