BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Internet - worth it or not?

09-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
DAN5047
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0 Msport

Internet - worth it or not?

Is the internet extra worth it in an X3? Especially nowadays with smart phones and all. Can it be added post production?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
brissim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25)

This seriously is the type of question that only you can answer.

What are your "on-the-move" internet requirements. There will always be those people who will get the internet (and other items such as TV) simply for bragging rights. Whether they use it or not is irrelevant. But there are those people who spend their working day on the road in their car and effectively the car becomes their office. For that having a larger screen internet connection (compared with a smart phone) without the added complication say of a laptop computer is important. But then even this type of use is being overtaken by iPads and other tablet-based equipment which has the added advantage of being able to be removed from the car.

Personally in this day of tablet devices, having car internet capability is largely a waste of money. But then as I said - its really up to you and your needs.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
England
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30d M Sport (63)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN5047 View Post
Is the internet extra worth it in an X3? Especially nowadays with smart phones and all. Can it be added post production?
Out of interest I looked at this option again today whilst playing with the SatNav. It is in the connecteddrive menu somewhere. I am not being precise because I have forgotten the details, but you can purchase it. There are 3 selectable menu options listed like I show below. I think the prices are as I state. The system uses the embedded sim in the car:

1 month = 15
6 months = 50
12 months= 80

Naturally you must have already have one of the newer connecteddrive accounts setup with credit card details embedded and linked to your car, so you can select any of the above options in the car and automatically pay for it.

As far as I am concerned, it has to be cheaper and a lot faster to use a smartphone on contract than faff about with the internet on the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0