BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Another 2015 X3 xDrive35i on order

06-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
cSurf
Captain

Drives: BMW

Hello all- just ordered my second F25 X3 (having only driven our first - an '11 35i - for 7 months). Went M-Sport for the sport auto, sport seats, steering wheel, anthracite headliner and wheels... the body kit I could do without, but I'll make it work (more on that below). Spec is as follows:

Space Gray Metallic Paint
Oyster Nevada Leather (w/o contrast stitching)
Brushed Aluminum Trim

M-Sport Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Surround View
Harmon Kardon surround sound system
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
19" M Double Spoke wheels - style 622M with mixed performance run-flat tires (19" x 8.5" front, 19" x 9.5" rear)
Shadow Line roof rails
Rear manual side window shades

On the M Sport body kit - the one item that I dislike are the (in my opinion) oversized lower grills. Of course, these are the new familial M Sport look which is shared with the X5. In the F15 community, a popular modification that breaks up the large surface area of the M-Sport is the addition of the horizontal silver trim from the M50d. See below:

[IMG]http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1399524086[/IMG]

Of course- there's no equivalent X3 from BMW, but Alpina appears to have mimicked the look for the XD3 BiTurbo. See below:

[IMG]http://www.inautonews.com/wp-content...14-520x344.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.inautonews.com/wp-content...10-520x344.jpg[/IMG]

It doesn't look like they've modified the bumper, other than adding on a lip and these trim pieces, which gives me some hope that I might be able to retrofit with limited impact.

Has anyone looked into this? Anyone have an Alpina parts contact?

Anyway- I look forward to delivery and will keep everyone updated.

Thanks.

Last edited by cSurf; 07-04-2014 at 12:52 PM.
      07-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
cSurf
Captain

Lots of talk re: M Sport being ugly and while I don't think it's the best implementation of BMW's new M Performance design language, I also don't think that BMW's press materials and the BMWNA configurator do the areo kit justice. For those on the fence, below are the photos (in addition to a quick trip the dealer when one finally landed) that helped convince me that I could live with (and possibly learn to love) M-Sport package (particularly the front bumper). For 35i owners, the right lower grill is (indeed) partially open and directs air to the oil cooler, for 28i/d, they're both dummies.

I think the following photo captures the real-life vs. rendering basis best; note that the front bumper has slope (toward the wheel wells) and horizontal curvature to it. When you look only at the configurator it appears much flatter/vertical.

Last edited by cSurf; 07-04-2014 at 10:37 AM.
      07-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i

Sorry cSurf I was wrong, it does not look better in black. just one look at picture 2 would keep me away from buying the car. The lower air intake looks better on the X5 MSport, it does not look as over sized as the X3.
      07-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
usual_suspect

For those who likes the m-sport but thinks the air intakes on the front bumper is a bit oversized I would recommend to buy the detail from the Alpina design. I'm only thinking of the silver details installed inside the air intakes, not the whole alpina kit. You can buy them separately and should be rather easy to install.

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/fi...BITURBO_01.jpg

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/fi...BITURBO_03.jpg

I have ordered a m-sport black sapphire with the 310 wheels and I'm thinking of adding these. I will wait a couple of months first though.
usual_suspect is offline   Sweden
      07-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
cSurf
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
For those who likes the m-sport but thinks the air intakes on the front bumper is a bit oversized I would recommend to buy the detail from the Alpina design. I'm only thinking of the silver details installed inside the air intakes, not the whole alpina kit. You can buy them separately and should be rather easy to install.

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/fi...BITURBO_01.jpg

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/fi...BITURBO_03.jpg

I have ordered a m-sport black sapphire with the 310 wheels and I'm thinking of adding these. I will wait a couple of months first though.
Agreed- see my first post.

Problem is, I don't think you can buy Alpina parts without an Alpina vin .
      07-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
usual_suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Agreed- see my first post.

Problem is, I don't think you can buy Alpina parts without an Alpina vin .
Hah - missed that part.

Yes, you should be able to buy separate parts. At least thats what I've bin told when I spoke to their swedish reseller. They are also the only reseller of Alpina in Sweden so they should know.
usual_suspect is offline   Sweden
      07-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
cSurf
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by usual_suspect View Post
Hah - missed that part.

Yes, you should be able to buy separate parts. At least thats what I've bin told when I spoke to their swedish reseller. They are also the only reseller of Alpina in Sweden so they should know.
Group buy??

US Alpina dealer told me that I needed am Alpina VIN.