BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post X3 xDrive28i to Get N20 Turbo 4 Cylinder Engine and Driving Experience Control Featur

BIMMERPOST NEWS
X3 xDrive28i to Get N20 Turbo 4 Cylinder Engine and Driving Experience Control Feature
COMMENTS
Name:  bmwdrivingexperiencecontrol.jpg
Views: 11146
Size:  83.7 KB

Fresh accents for even better sporting performance: BMW X3 and BMW X5.

Innovative alterations to the range of engines and equipment emphasise the dynamic character of the two Sports Activity Vehicles – BMW X3 xDrive28i now with exceptionally high-performing BMW TwinPower Turbo power unit – Driving Experience Control standard on all BMW X3 model variants– BMW X5 now also available in the M Sport Edition.

Munich.
Dynamic handling characteristics are still the trademark of BMW’s Sports Activity Vehicles. In each of their segments both the BMW X3 and the BMW X5 are seen as the benchmark for agility and driving pleasure. In the spring of 2012, the sporting character of the two BMW X models will be further underscored by innovations added to the range of engines and equipment features. A new and particularly powerful engine for the BMW X3 xDrive28i, Driving Experience Control for individual vehicle settings for all variants of the BMW X3 and the M Sport Edition of the BMW X5 ensure targeted optimisation of sporting qualities.

Furthermore, the choice of optionally available driver assistance systems featured by BMW ConnectedDrive is being further extended for the BMW X3.

New BMW X3 xDrive28i: Faster sprint, better fuel economy thanks to BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology.
Starting in the spring of 2012, all BMW X3 model variants will be powered by engines equipped with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology. The latest addition to the drive train portfolio is the 2-litre, four-cylinder 180 kW/245 hp petrol engine, which gives the BMW X3 xDrive28i even more power and efficiency. The technology package employed in this engine comprises a supercharging system operating according to the Twin Scroll principle, High Precision Injection with direct fuel injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve control and double VANOS variable camshaft control. This combination guarantees not only spontaneous throttle response and sporty power delivery continuing into the high load range, but also fuel economy that is outstandingly favourable even for a petrol engine of this performance class.

Compared to the predecessor engine, the new power unit mobilises 40 percent higher maximum torque, which has now increased to 350 Nm and is available within a significantly broader engine speed range between 1,250 and 4,800 rpm. Thanks to the boost in pulling power and response resulting from this, the new BMW X3 xDrive28i accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 6.7 seconds – 0.2 seconds faster than the predecessor model. The advancement made in terms of efficiency is even more significant. With an average fuel consumption of 7.5 litres/100 km in the EU test cycle and a CO2 emission level of 175 grams per kilometre, previous figures have been undercut by around 17 percent.

The new power unit comes as standard in conjunction with the eight-speed automatic transmission. The intelligent four-wheel drive system BMW xDrive with electronically controlled and variable power distribution between the front and real wheels provides optimum transfer of torque to the road and off-road terrain.

Driving Experience Control including ECO PRO Mode as standard.
Moreover, in future, all BMW X3 model variants will be equipped as standard with the Driving Experience Control feature. At the press of a button located on the centre console next to the gearshift lever or gear selector lever respectively, the driver is able to vary the vehicle setting. There is a choice between the “COMFORT”, “SPORT” and “SPORT+” modes as well as the ECO PRO mode. Driving Experience Control has an effect on the settings of the stability control function DSC, the characteristic maps of the accelerator pedal and Servotronic power steering and, depending on how the vehicle is equipped, also the gearshift characteristics of the automatic transmission and the control map of the Dynamic Damper Control system.

In the ECO PRO mode, an exceptionally economical driving style is supported thanks to corresponding adjustment of the drive control and efficiency-optimised operation of the heating and air-conditioning unit, the exterior mirror heater and the seat heater. Specific visual displays in the instrument cluster inform the driver about the additional range obtained as a result.

Extended range of BMW ConnectedDrive features.
In the spring of 2012, the choice of BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance systems available for the BMW X3 is also to be extended yet again. The Speed Limit Info System including the No Overtaking Display is now available as a new option. The system informs the driver by means of corresponding symbols in the instrument cluster about identified speed limits and no overtaking signs at the roadside or on overhead sign gantries identified by its camera.

In addition, the BMW X3 is now also available with the Lane Departure Warning function including rear collision warning. This system monitors road markings by means of a camera mounted on the base of the rear view mirror and helps to avoid unintentional course deviations. If the vehicle leaves the lane before the direction indicator has been activated, the steering wheel begins to vibrate. In addition, the camera detects other vehicles ahead and, if necessary, a two-stage alarm function comprising visual and acoustic signals is activated to avoid collisions.

BMW X5: M Sport Edition for particularly dynamic performance.
In the spring of 2012, the BMW X5 model range will be complemented by a BMW M Performance Automobile, which in addition to a 280 kW/381 hp diesel power plant with innovative three-stage turbocharging, also features an M-specific suspension setting and a particularly impressive and aerodynamically optimised design. Simultaneously with the market launch of the BMW X5 M50d, the new M Sport Edition will be offered for all further model variants. It contributes effectively towards a further enhancement of the supremely powerful and agile characteristics of the Sports Activity Vehicle, thereby also emphasising its visual qualities.

The M Sport Edition comprises M exterior features for optimising air guidance, 20-inch M light alloys including tyre mix, BMW Individual High Gloss Shadow Line, Xenon lights (standard on the BMW X5 xDrive50i and the BMW X5 xDrive40d) and Adaptive Cornering Headlights. The BMW X5 xDrive50i is also equipped with pneumatic rear wheel suspension including automatic levelling. For all other model variants, the M Sport Edition offers a sporty suspension setting.

The sporting ambience in the interior is emphasised by the M leather-clad steering wheel with shift paddles, BMW Individual anthracite roof lining, BMW Individual interiors trim strips in black piano lacquer, doorsills boasting the M logo, stainless steel pedals and the M footrest for the driver. The M Sport Edition also includes electrically adjustable sports seats. The new M Alcantara/Black Nappa leather combination is available exclusively in conjunction with the M Sport Edition.

Over and above that, the range of special equipment for the BMW X5 will in future also include the optional heated steering wheel in conjunction with the M leather-clad steering wheel. From the spring of 2012, the colour variant Orion Silver metallic will be available as a new exterior paint finish.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

+1. When will the pricing guide be available?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

I was told that my car with Dynamic Dampers will have ECO PRO. Will hit production next week.

They still say this. After reading this I'm not so sure...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

So I suppose this is the extent of the MY2013 changes commencing in April 2012?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
So I assume this will all carry over to the next generation X5? I will be looking to trade the 2010 X5d for the next generation.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

This must be for the 2013 models beginning with April production.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

No mention of a Diesel for N.A.

Some nice features just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
This must be for the 2013 models beginning with April production.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
No mention of a Diesel for N.A.

Some nice features just the same.
I wonder if the VDC/DDC buttons will still remain or merge with the Driving Experience Control buttons
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Archmc
Rep
Drives: M3

With the Driving Experience Control as standard, I guess the starting price will increase at least $1000..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Before everyone gets disappointed or excited... this is not a BMWNA release. Only thing known officially is N20 is coming the rest is still not official. Note the X5 40d..
      02-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Hi

Sorry to be obtuse, but I should be making a (UK) X3 order tomorrow....

What effect would this press release have on me (UK):
- if I made the order tomorrow: no effect whatsoever? This only effects orders made after March/April - orders made now will not be effected.
- if I delayed my order (by how long? When does this take effect?): does this apply to UK orders? Will it effect the 2.0D? If so, how? Will the 2.8i (petrol?) be introduced to the UK? If so, is it worth considering over the 2.0D?

Thanks
QT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Sure it is... it is word for word out of BMW Media Group: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2244

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Before everyone gets disappointed or excited... this is not a BMWNA release. Only thing known officially is N20 is coming the rest is still not official. Note the X5 40d..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Sure it is... it is word for word out of BMW Media Group: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2244
Which is NOT the BMWNA media site. That is the generic site. Look around and you'll see that nothing is NA specific. BMWNA will release their own press info shortly.

Like I noted above- the US doesn't get the 40d and if it WERE to get it the press release would need to be more detailed. BMW Connected Drive is not marketed the same as in Europe.

BMWNA has officially confirmed the N20 (elsewhere) and that is all. Nothing else has been officially confirmed.

The NA market is the only one getting the 6speed manual M5- so if I am in Germany reading the US site does that mean it is coming to Germany?
      02-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Point taken, we'll wait for BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTPie View Post
- if I made the order tomorrow: no effect whatsoever? This only effects orders made after March/April - orders made now will not be effected.
This affects BUILD date, not order date. If you order in the UK tomorrow, your car will 99.9% likely be built after 1st April (and likely much later), thus you will have a new model year car and be affected by the changes. They are all positive, there is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Will the 2.8i (petrol?) be introduced to the UK?
Not yet announced but I would guess unlikely. We have a particular love for diesels (especially in SUVs) in this country.
      02-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Thank you very much . I found the press release fairly vague...

QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
This affects BUILD date, not order date. If you order in the UK tomorrow, your car will 99.9% likely be built after 1st April (and likely much later), thus you will have a new model year car and be affected by the changes. They are all positive, there is nothing to worry about.

Not yet announced but I would guess unlikely. We have a particular love for diesels (especially in SUVs) in this country.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Bring on the Tri-Turbo X3M...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

based on the article the driving experience control will also adjust the dampers if so equiped... you'd still need to purchase the optional dynamic damper package.

Quote:
I wonder if the VDC/DDC buttons will still remain or merge with the Driving Experience Control buttons
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
It seems a glaring omission that they have not added an X3 25d carrying the N47 TT found in the recently introduced 525d. That would give you a 4 cyl diesel with performance roughly equivalent to the gasoline (petrol) X3 28i.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
based on the article the driving experience control will also adjust the dampers if so equiped... you'd still need to purchase the optional dynamic damper package.
Then the comfort settings are useless if no vdc/ddc as standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I wouldn't say useless... perhaps "less useful" is a better description.

I think the driving experience control may just be a glorified ECO button without dynamic dampers.
Quote:
Then the comfort settings are useless if no vdc/ddc as standard.
Appreciate 0