BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Rattles & Clunks

10-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #45
Docray1
Private

Drives: 2007 BMW 335 Convertible

Rear End Noise

Our 2011 X3 2.8 has had numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks, along with multiple other problems including malfunctioning and noisy power windows and throttle lag.

The latest noise was a loud "creaking" that was heard when going up an incline (like a driveway) where the body would flex a bit. It sounded like it was coming from the left (drivers side) rear end. I tried adjusting the hatch stops, and looked elsewhere for the source, but had no luck. We took it to our dealer (again) and they claim it came from a loose "sunroof cassette brace". We are picking up the car later today; hopefully that latest issue has now been solved.
      10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #46
MattUK
Captain Unsensible

Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D MSport

Garage List
I've just accepted the clunks from the wheels when going over bumps and uneven road now, doesn't sound right at all but fed up with them. The boot clunk was the worse, but that got sorted by the lugs
MattUK is offline   United Kingdom
      12-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #47
gareth12468
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Yes, please see the red arrows in picture below that shows the black plastic stoppers that needed to be adjusted. Just give them a half turn (counter clockwise) and check to see if tailgate is more secure. Only a half turn has solved our tailgate rattle issues!

*Note: the picture is not of my X3, but the same parts are on the X3.

I hope this helps for your tailgate rattle issue as it helped me!

Thank you biglare..... That fixed most of the noise.....
gareth12468 is offline   Canada
      12-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #48
biglare
Brigadier General

Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
Thank you biglare..... That fixed most of the noise.....

Glad to have helped. I noticed that over some larger bumps I still heard the noise, so I gave the stops another 1/2 turn and then the all was fixed.

12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #49
gareth12468
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Glad to have helped. I noticed that over some larger bumps I still heard the noise, so I gave the stops another 1/2 turn and then the all was fixed.

Yes.... mine still have some noise over bumps too..... Need to work with it when I have time.....
gareth12468 is offline   Canada
      08-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #50
gmazet
Lieutenant

Drives: No bimmer.. Bummer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post
I managed to fix the rear rattle over bumps. It drove me insane to the point that I asked a friend to sit in the trunk and identify the source...it was the tailgate! The noise was tin / metal like knocking every time I drove over a hard enough bump. Especially loud when there was a bit of body flex. I tried everything prior to the fix below including stripping and removing tools, covers etc. The fix is as follows:

If you open the tailgate you will notice that there are 2 black rubber stoppers on the body just above the tail lights. These stoppers are adjustable. I've noticed that if the differential adjustment is such that one side of the tailgate is slightly higher than the other, that the weight of the tailgate causes the clunk when the body moves in just the right way. I experiement by adjusting the stoppers a few times and voila - after 3 or 4 times, noise was gone.

The only noise - now have is a light bizz/ rattle when I take off and sometimes at speed. Seems to be centre speaker or somewhere around that area.
BINGO! thanks for the post, mine was getting worse and worse. I dropped it off at the service center last week and they kept telling me it wasn't making a noise, maybe I was more "in tune" with the car than they were. LOL!

now if only they could come up with a software update that fixes the throttle lag...

2012 F25 28i, SG/Chestnut|Msport|Premium|Tech|Cold1&2
Me: Still miss my 2008 E92tt, F82 ED coming in 2015 (if I can hold out)
      08-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #51
buze
Owner

Drives: F25 2.0d Manual

after nearly 12k miles. I don't have any weird rattles. There is sometime a creak in the front console when I se the aircon to cool down the car, but it's clearly thermal induced and only happends once in a while.

Only rattle I have is when my wife dumps half her handbag in the capacious door pocket on her side! :-)
Received 13-03-01. 2.0d Manual:Sparkling Bronze:Red/Brown Leather:Alu Trim:Run Flats:Xenons:Auto Headlights:Moonroof:Thermal Glass:Sunblinds:Comfort Access:Electric Tailgate:Electric Seats:Lumbar:Extended Storage:Top view cam...
buze is offline   United Kingdom
      10-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #52
X3Bernie

Drives: 2014 BMW X3 28i

Thanks for the info, I'll have to tell the dealership about this one.

Have had the car for about 2 months. The rear lights had to be replaced before I even drove it and it seems those cushion's are in the same location as the light casings.
The non-stop almost random knocking from the tailgate is slowly driving me nuts. The dealership found the noise did something and it went away ..... for like a day.
Have another appointment for them to look at it again and this time take the car away for the day to drive it and figure it out. I will ask them to check those tailgate cushions even though I'm pretty sure they'll blow me off.
UGH! Have driven the car for a little over two months and been in the shop 4 times already.

Slightly depressed about it, was loving the car before all of this, sure hope your solution works
X3Bernie is offline   United Kingdom
      07-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #53
gmazet
Lieutenant

Drives: No bimmer.. Bummer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
BINGO! thanks for the post, mine was getting worse and worse. I dropped it off at the service center last week and they kept telling me it wasn't making a noise, maybe I was more "in tune" with the car than they were. LOL!

now if only they could come up with a software update that fixes the throttle lag...
btw the rattle is back.. and if I try to adjust more, the back hatch won't close..

super annoying

2012 F25 28i, SG/Chestnut|Msport|Premium|Tech|Cold1&2
Me: Still miss my 2008 E92tt, F82 ED coming in 2015 (if I can hold out)