BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Turbo Cool Down

I don't know much about Turbo advancements lately, but I recall something about the old-time turbos where you had to let them cool down before shutting off the car. Anyone remember those days?

With the advancements in Turbo technology, I'm assuming that is no longer an issue coming off the highway or an extended trip....

Thoughts?

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
kennygee
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
I don't know much about Turbo advancements lately, but I recall something about the old-time turbos where you had to let them cool down before shutting off the car. Anyone remember those days?

With the advancements in Turbo technology, I'm assuming that is no longer an issue coming off the highway or an extended trip....

Thoughts?
I am involved with trucks and in the early days of turbos you were advised to allow them to cool off on tick over after a run. I dont hear it mentioned now I can only presume that this is not necessary. It was because of the extreme temperatures that the turbos operate.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Cool down not necessary.
      10-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Better oils and turbo cooling means no need for that type of cool down unless you've just done 5 laps of the 'ring in less than 40 minutes total time...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post

Thoughts?
No real need, but if you have just come off the motorway and have been really flying then a few minutes cruising should be enough to cool them.
      10-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Cool down not required, oil pump electric - no overheating problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
...oil pump electric....
Sorry, don't think so... The N55 engine uses a variable displacement mechanical oil pump. However, the coolant pump is electric.
The oil pump is driven by a small roller chain and some sprockets that look like they were lifted from an old Motobecane!
When the engine stops turning, the oil stops flowing to all bearings, including the turbo's.

With modern turbos having a liquid cooled turbine/compressor shaft and bearings, along with modern oil formulations, cool down is a thing of the past. Bearing destruction due to oil turning to carbon "coking" when the engine is shut down, does not happen as long as the coolant is at the appropriate level.

Last edited by Lotus7; 10-19-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
According to the documentation I've read, the only thing that requires a cool-down period after driving a BMW is your temper, from sitting behind the "left lane hogs".

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Nice, thanks guys

I figured as much. Thanks for the input.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
According to the documentation I've read, the only thing that requires a cool-down period after driving a BMW is your temper, from sitting behind the "left lane hogs".
+1
      10-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee View Post
I am involved with trucks and in the early days of turbos you were advised to allow them to cool off on tick over after a run. I dont hear it mentioned now I can only presume that this is not necessary. It was because of the extreme temperatures that the turbos operate.
Yes this....

Engine temperature dictates the need for turbo cool down via engine idle or a turbo timer in trucks / machinery etc.

Couldn't imagine these engines getting to those insane temperatures to require it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
ILuvMy335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0d Msport

I highly doubt that any cool down or idle period is required - anyway, with the STOP/START function it is difficult to do this....unless you switch the feature off every time.
      10-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
With modern turbos having a liquid cooled turbine/compressor shaft and bearings, along with modern oil formulations, cool down is a thing of the past. Bearing destruction due to oil turning to carbon "coking" when the engine is shut down, does not happen as long as the coolant is at the appropriate level.
I second this.

Also I remember that one other problem was that turbo was still rotating quite fast even though in idle. And if the oil was very warm and therefore only thin layer on turbo's axel (ie. bearings), the oil layer ran out when engine was stopped and turbo still rotating fast and no new oil pressed into the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
I second this.

Also I remember that one other problem was that turbo was still rotating quite fast even though in idle. And if the oil was very warm and therefore only thin layer on turbo's axel (ie. bearings), the oil layer ran out when engine was stopped and turbo still rotating fast and no new oil pressed into the bearings.
Correct.

A turbo timer is simply an electronically controlled oil accumulator which feeds oil to the turbo after car/truck/machine has been shut down through ignition.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post
I highly doubt that any cool down or idle period is required - anyway, with the STOP/START function it is difficult to do this....unless you switch the feature off every time.
Right. Start/Stop might not allow for cool down in some situation.

Have to admit I'm an old fashioned guy and still give my cars a little time to breath and cool (water, oil, brakes) before shutting it down, especially after extended time at high(er) speeds on the autobahn. When coming home this happens automatically cause I need 15/20 minutes from autobahn. But I really watch it when going to a rest or gas station, or after driving steep mountain passes.
Appreciate 0