BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Chrome Exhaust Trim 20D UK

10-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #23
Bustofa
Lieutenant

Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

What have I started?

Anyway, went into the dealer's yesterday and the part is now ordered, due to arrive tomorrow.

Only thing is, I don't have an X3 to put it on yet but should have before next week is out.
Bustofa is offline   United Kingdom
      10-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #24
clivem2
Captain

Drives: F25 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Don't know about the 20d version, but the ones BMW puts on the 35i are made of non-ferrous stainless steel. I wipe mine once a week with a damp paper towel and polish them with Semichrome every (2) months, or so, and they look as good as new.
My 30D version looks to be made from the same metal at the ones I had on my 335i Vert. Not chrome at all, surely stainless. The 335i ones blackened quickly, the X3 diesel seems cleaner. When the ends of the 335i exhausts became badly tarnished I used fine wirewool to no ill effect at all - just on the very ends and interior.

Sept 2011
      10-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Bustofa
Lieutenant

Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

So, picked up my chrome trim today but wanted to check that they had the right one before fitting it. Took a couple of photos but, to be honest, it looks the same as Bimmer's - so that's OK.
However, the spring clips inside looked a bit strange as the rear one doesn't look like it would hold/bear on anything once it was fully fitted. It occurs to me that it's there to stop the trim being pulled off too easily (nicked).
Does that sound OK to those that already have the trim? I could attach a pic once I'm on a PC if needed.
Many thanks.
Bustofa is offline   United Kingdom
      10-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
BIMMER UK 76
Major

Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
So, picked up my chrome trim today but wanted to check that they had the right one before fitting it. Took a couple of photos but, to be honest, it looks the same as Bimmer's - so that's OK.
However, the spring clips inside looked a bit strange as the rear one doesn't look like it would hold/bear on anything once it was fully fitted. It occurs to me that it's there to stop the trim being pulled off too easily (nicked).
Does that sound OK to those that already have the trim? I could attach a pic once I'm on a PC if needed.
Many thanks.
They are far harder to remove than fit as that clip really digs in.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
BIMMER UK 76 is offline   United Kingdom
      01-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #27
tomfromfife

Drives: 2012 X3

Chinese Chrome Tailpipe

I ordered a Chrome tailpipe for my 2013 X3 20d on ebay and it arrived today. It cost 12.99 including postage and took just 6 days to deliver to Scotland.

At 12.99 it was worth a punt as if it is no good there is not much lost. First impressions are that it looks good enough and it fitted perfectly with a little help from a rubber mallet. It has 4 'grips' inside to keep it in position.

It is advertised as only for the 20i but the exhaust tailpipe is the same for the 20d and the BMW part number for the chrome tailpipe is the same for the 20d and the 20i.

You can find it here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-STA...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I'll repost if it fails

Last edited by tomfromfife; 01-14-2014 at 10:56 AM.
tomfromfife is offline   Scotland
      01-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #28
buze
Owner

Drives: F25 2.0d Manual

Wonder if it's the same material? I like the idea of a clean pipe, but will the chinese corrode eventually, while the BMW one seems to be true and tested?

Do make sure to tell us :-)
Received 13-03-01. 2.0d Manual:Sparkling Bronze:Red/Brown Leather:Alu Trim:Run Flats:Xenons:Auto Headlights:Moonroof:Thermal Glass:Sunblinds:Comfort Access:Electric Tailgate:Electric Seats:Lumbar:Extended Storage:Top view cam...
buze is offline   United Kingdom
      01-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #29
ChesterX5
Lieutenant

Drives: F10 520D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
I dont get to polish mine as much as i used to