BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Paint Protection Film (clear bra) now avail for M Sport

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
15
Rep
1,594
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
tuco - get those badges off (we don't need no stinking badges) and get some film on the front!!
I really do need to get the film done, but hadn't heard back from the shop yet if they have the template (I need to call them admittedly).

One of my friends has de-badged his X3 35i but I don't mind them, and have never taken them off any of my cars.
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #24
clarka@csolve.net
Private
clarka@csolve.net's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

We have ours booked in for next week. We are getting the entire front bumper, 18 inches of hood, mirrors, and bumper sill wrapped. Our guy prefers not to use a template; I hope the result is as good as yours Ledzep!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I really do need to get the film done, but hadn't heard back from the shop yet if they have the template (I need to call them admittedly).

One of my friends has de-badged his X3 35i but I don't mind them, and have never taken them off any of my cars.
I didn't used to mind them, until they added the ultra-annoying "XDrive" banner to it. So very Toyota....


Quote:
Originally Posted by clarka@csolve.net View Post
We have ours booked in for next week. We are getting the entire front bumper, 18 inches of hood, mirrors, and bumper sill wrapped. Our guy prefers not to use a template; I hope the result is as good as yours Ledzep!
He must be very skilled. Good luck!
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #26
clarka@csolve.net
Private
clarka@csolve.net's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

We got our X3 with M-sport back from the detailer last night and are very happy with the results. He used a product called Solargard which comes with a lifetime warranty. We had the full front bumper done including lights, 12 inches up the hood, front fenders, mirrors, and rear bumper sill done. The cost was $780. He did it custom without a template!
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
h0mersimps0n
Private
2
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

So, aside from Xpel - what else is out there?

Anyone get anything from anyone else.

I know you get what you pay for but Xpel is on the expensive side and I'm not convinced the cost/benefit ratio is there when other products of quality are on the market as well...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
So, aside from Xpel - what else is out there?

Anyone get anything from anyone else.

I know you get what you pay for but Xpel is on the expensive side and I'm not convinced the cost/benefit ratio is there when other products of quality are on the market as well...
There are several brands of film, but as you point out they are not all of equal quality. Talk to an independant installer and ask about the choices, and why (s)he carries or recommends certain brands. It does not always come down to cost or profit for these folks, because if they are working with a poor product they will eventually see their business dry up.

3M makes good film, but the adhesive is prone to some yellowing.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #29
paul386
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Can the film ever be removed? Will it discolor in the sun after a few years?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #30
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Can the film ever be removed? Will it discolor in the sun after a few years?
The film can be removed at any time (recommended that the pro does this though). Because the film is clear, it cannot discolor... and because the film is clear it also allows the paint underneath to fade at the same rate as the rest - more or less. I'm not sure if they put UV protection in the film. I tend to keep my film protected with wax, so it should be receiving roughly the same UV as the rest of the paint. Keeping in mind I have Alpine White. But I have seen a black M3 that had film on it for a few years, and you couldn't tell.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
sard
Major
81
Rep
1,330
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to sard
Just had mine clear bra'd. Mobile guy from Doza Designs. Great job. He used Venture Shield brand film. He mentioned Expel's Ultimate self healing film. You Tube it, the one where they put the film on a clock face, used a bbq metal brush to scratch it, and watch as it repairs itself ... it's insane ... you will be paying a lot more for it though.
__________________

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #32
h0mersimps0n
Private
2
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I've done three so far on previous vehicles so I have no fear.

I just ordered M-sport bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, lights from cleardefender.com - they don't list it on their website but they have the Msport bumper in two different cuts.

Of the three films they offer I decided to try the Avery Nano (most expensive of the 3M and VentureShield)...

Will post pictures when arrives/applied/done.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #33
cadman50
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

I was thinking of having it done at the dealer. Is that a waste of money? Not sure what they use or charge. It seems that it's the safest as far as not getting any chips on the front before the shield is applied but maybe they don't have the most experienced person doing it also. Too bad they don't do that right at Spartanburg. There must be some timeframe that the paint needs to cure before applying it though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
paul386
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I have already been driving my car since May and it has a few marks from road debris. Can I still get the film installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I was thinking of having it done at the dealer. Is that a waste of money? Not sure what they use or charge. It seems that it's the safest as far as not getting any chips on the front before the shield is applied but maybe they don't have the most experienced person doing it also. Too bad they don't do that right at Spartanburg. There must be some timeframe that the paint needs to cure before applying it though.
Does your dealer offer this service? My dealer does, but they use a local installer (who happens to be my installer, that they discovered after he did such a great job on my E90 year ago). You might be better off getting a direct quote from the installer, since the dealer will want to make a few bucks on the deal. My advice is that if and when possible, you should have it done as soon as you can. Factory baked paint will not be affected by applying the film, so there is no reason to wait because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I have already been driving my car since May and it has a few marks from road debris. Can I still get the film installed?
You can, and it will certainly prevent further damage. But sometimes the film will actually accentuate any existing chips or marks... it might be worth doing some touch-up on them first.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #36
Bandit6
Migrant Worker in the Global War of Terrorism
Bandit6's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 328i sedan 07, X3 28i 12
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
There are several brands of film, but as you point out they are not all of equal quality. Talk to an independant installer and ask about the choices, and why (s)he carries or recommends certain brands. It does not always come down to cost or profit for these folks, because if they are working with a poor product they will eventually see their business dry up.

3M makes good film, but the adhesive is prone to some yellowing.
I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting info from two installers I've asked for an estimate. One uses VentureShield and applies it in his shop (not close BTW) and requires about 7 hours. The other uses 3M Scotchguard but does it in 3 hours wherever you car is (its a mobile shop). Both have years of experience and both claim their film is infinitely superior to the other. Both films are apparently made by 3M. The Scotchguard is about $200 more installed. Does anyone have any experience or insight to share as I wrestle with the choice? The mobile installation is definitely much more convenient. Thoughts?

Last edited by Bandit6; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #37
h0mersimps0n
Private
2
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

personally, I would not do a mobile installation. It's the same whether it's window tint or clear paint protection- you want a clean/dust reduced environment to put the film on. Bubbles will come out over time, but debris caught under the film during install will be there forever.

A few people I talked to said the VentureShield stuff does not hold up well with time. The company I purchased my film from stated they've seen a lot of cracking and only recommend it for heavily garaged vehicles.

Its a tough decision, just make the best informed decision you can and go with it. Be sure whoever you go with is 3M "certified installer" to make sure you can cash in on the 5 year warranty against cracking on whatever you decide to get god forbid it happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #38
nyalpine90
Major General
nyalpine90's Avatar
Colombia
96
Rep
9,107
Posts

 
Drives: '15 X3 28i carbon black
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: L.I. & Bklyn

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2012 X3  [3.83]
Send a message via MSN to nyalpine90
i will be doing this as well
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
MJM's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
I was thinking of having it done at the dealer. Is that a waste of money? Not sure what they use or charge. It seems that it's the safest as far as not getting any chips on the front before the shield is applied but maybe they don't have the most experienced person doing it also. Too bad they don't do that right at Spartanburg. There must be some timeframe that the paint needs to cure before applying it though.
I just had my X3 xDRIVE35i M-Sport (Carbon Black) completed by Rick at his Wakefield Shop and the outcome of his work was OUTSTANDING. I have had clear bras done on many of my BMWs of the years and this is the best ever. If you want to see it, I would be happy to show it to you as I live in Massachusetts as well.

Last edited by MJM; 10-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #40
cadman50
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrack View Post
The factory paint is baked at the factory, so no need to wait.

If you're still interested in having it done, I am located in Wakefield, MA and offer clear bra as well. My installers are the best in the business, so feel free to send me a PM with any questions...

Here's a recent install on a BMW 1M using Xpel Ultimate film: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...-clear-bra.htm
Thanks Rick but I've had my X3 now since February and decided not to do it. Maybe next vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #41
DonC
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
355
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: near Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Just spent the day driving back from Vancouver - I have the whole hood wraped as I wanted some protection for when someone lifted the wiper blades. Installer gave me a good deal after his wife said "insted of installing small strips by the wipers why not wrap the whole hood - no lines..."
__________________
2013 X3 3.5i AW,Msprt,rear fogs,PS,CP, Tech, etc...
Other cars
2005 S2000
2007 TL-S
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #42
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston Area, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I just had my X3 xDRIVE35i M-Sport (Carbon Black) completed by Rick at his Wakefield Shop and the outcome of his work was OUTSTANDING. I have had clear bras done on many of my BMWs of the years and this is the best ever. If you want to see it, I would be happy to show it to you as I live in Massachusetts as well.
Just had mine re-done today after an accident. My first film was 3M by the dealer at time of purchase. This time also by Rick (at Unique Car Care in Wakefield, MA) with Xpel ultimate film. From initial observation I can say the Xpel film looks to be higher quality. The 3M has a slight orange peel look to it while the Xpel film looks no different than the surrounding paint. The install was different as well, my first film was a pre-cut while this is custom cut on the car (this made me nervous) but there are fewer seams, fuller coverage, and the film goes much closer to edges.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
Jan van Zyl
Private
Namibia
1
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windhoek, Namibia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
Just had mine re-done today after an accident. My first film was 3M by the dealer at time of purchase. This time also by Rick (at Unique Car Care in Wakefield, MA) with Xpel ultimate film. From initial observation I can say the Xpel film looks to be higher quality. The 3M has a slight orange peel look to it while the Xpel film looks no different than the surrounding paint. The install was different as well, my first film was a pre-cut while this is custom cut on the car (this made me nervous) but there are fewer seams, fuller coverage, and the film goes much closer to edges.
Thank you for sharing. Xpel then seems to be the better one currently: less orange peel look, self-healing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #44
kglo
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I just had my Alpine White X3 sealed with Optiguard yesterday - I didn't really want a piece of plastic on my car (I've done 3M Clearbra previously with my Audi A3 - it started to peel and was really visible).

Google Optiguard (or Opticoat) and see if that is an alternative for you guys - the results seems to be quite good on people that have had this done (lots of pics on the web). It provides a harder surface for BMW's notorious soft paint. The additional benefit is that it makes washing the car a lot easier and virtually eliminates the need for waxing (its good for lazy guys like me!). Also, the Optiguard can be added to all surfaces (except windshield and side mirrors for safety reasons) - so surface area wise, its pretty good protection.

If you are in the Toronto area - Bryan from concurstouch is who I went with and he did an amazing job and is fully insured to do this procedure - my X3 looked better than when it came off the lot. (Again, his reputation speaks for itself when you google his name)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST