BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » [DYI] [US x3 35i] My first mod: Euro side mirrors (aspherical)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Smile [DYI] [US x3 35i] My first mod: Euro side mirrors (aspherical)

So yesterday I finished my first mod. Unhappy with the performance of the factory set of mirrors and distracted by the unsightly warning on the passenger side mirror, I decided to order a set of Euro mirrors auto-dimming and heated.
That's what I started with:


The Euro one on the left:

The Euro one on the left again:

Installation is a breeze. Just fold your mirrors all the way in (or in and down) and gently but firmly pry with your fingers the glass out. Then disconnect the heating/dimming connector and replace the glass. The connector in question depicted:

First test, mirrors realigned using seat and side mirror memory function. Compare it with the pair of pictures above.


Time for a road test. Pay attention how much more I can see. The blind spot got noticeably smaller and so the car got safer.





I hope you liked it and if you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. I have the exact same type of mirrors on my other car, and because we were so used to them I needed to have them on my X3 too! The only downside is that it takes a few days getting used to, but once you do, those mirrors will be indispensable.

There are a few more mods in the pipeline. My goal is to have an "OEM plus" car. Stay tuned!

Mod history:
1. [DYI] [US x3 35i] My first mod: Euro side mirrors (aspherical)
2. [DYI] [US x3 35i] My second mod: Euro headlight switch (rear fog lights enabled)
3. [DYI] [US x3 35i] My third mod: BMW Performance glossy black grilles (kidneys)

Last edited by dandanio; 10-22-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
VikingOne
Private First Class
VikingOne's Avatar
United Kingdom
1
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wokingham, UK

iTrader: (0)

Nicely done.
__________________
UK Order 10 Feb 2011 - picked up 30th Sept 2011
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
tank531
Deckhand
tank531's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coventry - UK

iTrader: (0)

dandanio - I like the use of the better Euro design spec. mods you have done/planning. One OEM mod I was planning was retrofit of the rear view camera. But until I get my F25 I can't be sure if its possible. I need to check if the AV cable is pre-installed behind the license plate lamp even if you dont spec the camera at the factory. If the cable is there, then I belive it will be possible to fit the camera easily.

All you need now is Euro front indicator lenses then you are complete. I am not aware of any other spec. differences, bar the engines of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
coolesnce
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 X4 3.0 M-line Maxed out
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
So yesterday I finished my first mod. Unhappy with the performance of the factory set of mirrors and distracted by the unsightly warning on the passenger side mirror, I decided to order a set of Euro mirrors auto-dimming and heated.
That's what I started with:


The Euro one on the left:

The Euro one on the left again:

Installation is a breeze. Just fold your mirrors all the way in (or in and down) and gently but firmly pry with your fingers the glass out. Then disconnect the heating/dimming connector and replace the glass. The connector in question depicted:

First test, mirrors realigned using seat and side mirror memory function. Compare it with the pair of pictures above.


Time for a road test. Pay attention how much more I can see. The blind spot got noticeably smaller and so the car got safer.





I hope you liked it and if you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. I have the exact same type of mirrors on my other car, and because we were so used to them I needed to have them on my X3 too! The only downside is that it takes a few days getting used to, but once you do, those mirrors will be indispensable.

There are a few more mods in the pipeline. My goal is to have an "OEM plus" car. Stay tuned!
Looks good! I been trying to do the same. I tried to order through bmw dealer here in California and they said and couldnt order it. How did you order the mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
dandanio - I like the use of the better Euro design spec. mods you have done/planning.
Thank you. I am already planning on adding the rear for lights and the orange blinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
All you need now is Euro front indicator lenses then you are complete. I am not aware of any other spec. differences, bar the engines of course.
Not to my own thread , but can someone please post any pictures of those? Like a close up?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolesnce View Post
Looks good! I been trying to do the same. I tried to order through bmw dealer here in California and they said and couldnt order it. How did you order the mirrors?
I have a friend at a European dealership. The part number is the same for an X# as it is for an X1. So they are somewhat cheaper, still - quite expensive, especially that I needed both: dimming and heated.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
tank531
Deckhand
tank531's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coventry - UK

iTrader: (0)

Dont have my F25 yet for pictures, but take a look at a European members foto shoot on the forum. you will see Euro indicator lenses are 'clear', like headlights with a coloured lamp inside. I have read on this forum that they do not meet US regs. I think the configurator from the UK BMW site will shown them also.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

The problem I have now is with backing into my garage. The door got smaller overnight!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Dukat
First Lieutenant
Dukat's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X3 35i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

That looks great. Why don't we get those in the US?
__________________
2012 X3 35i | Mineral Silver | Oyster | Wave Wood
Packages | Sports | Cold Weather | Dynamic Handling | Premium | Technology | Premium Sound
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
walendvay
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
293
Posts

 
Drives: '11 F25 28i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW

iTrader: (0)

what are the part numbers for these pieces of glass?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Left: 51162991663
Right: 51162991664
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24
Rep
1,876
Posts

 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Sure would be nice to have them available here in the US . . . not that many drivers seem to know how to use their mirrors or that they have them!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
Beyu
Lieutenant
Beyu's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
579
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Very nice, not only does it reduce blind spots but also looks nicer.

However I've noticed that the US spec mirror is of a higher magnification than the Euro spec one, has this affected your driving or ability to see in any way?





Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
All you need now is Euro front indicator lenses then you are complete. I am not aware of any other spec. differences, bar the engines of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanio
Not to my own thread , but can someone please post any pictures of those? Like a close up?
For the front indicators you have two options:
1. Replace the whole housing w/ Euro spec ones
2. Apply a decal over the orange section.

Option 1 could potentially be very expensive and perhaps hard to install, I'm sure it'll at least set you back a couple hundred.

Option 2 is much cheaper. I can't remember if there's a thread where there is a link to buy silver decals but I did find one where you can buy black ones. I'm sure if you keep this thread going or post a new one someone on here could answer you question.

http://www.bimmian.com/25/HRO/

Not really a close up but this was the best I could find.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
However I've noticed that the US spec mirror is of a higher magnification than the Euro spec one, has this affected your driving or ability to see in any way?
The magnification factor in a side mirror is not an issue, you do not need to see the car on your side in great detail, you just need to see a movement, shadow, a car body, which should prevent you from doing something irresponsible. So, it has not affected the ability to see to the side of the car in any way, if anything, it enhanced it!

As for the orange reflector, I am already on the lookout for a set of EU-spec xenons, should have them here by xmas. Will report with pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
April1
Love All
April1's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i 2011
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via Yahoo to April1
I like this mod. Has any one got a source for these mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
I like this mod. Has any one got a source for these mirrors?
I sourced it straight from an European dealer. I probably can help you source it if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quick video I shot today:

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #18
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
6
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Québec city (Canada)

iTrader: (0)

I'll just have it installed by my dealer. It's in the accessories available in Canada this "Wide-Angle Side Mirrors".
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
yurio12601
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 2011 335ix
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Side-View Euro Mirrors for 2011 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
I sourced it straight from an European dealer. I probably can help you source it if you are interested.
Hi,
I know I am in the X3 forum and I've been having the same issues with blind spots in side-view mirrors on my 2011 BMW335ix. Could you, possibly, address me to where I could order/buy the euro-type glass for these mirrors? I would appreciate you assistance.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
plymjack
First Lieutenant
plymjack's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
375
Posts

 
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D SE Auto
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK

iTrader: (0)

Just seen this and thought you might like to know that there is a Genuine BMW run EBAY shop you could order from? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bmwdirectstore/pages/form
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
CaliRubicon
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Nice mod. Well now we all know who to sweet talk for the euro parts hookup. Put me on the list dandanio. Keep up the custom work.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #22
dandanio
The one that drives!
dandanio's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

If you are looking for a good source of Euro parts, contact Chris (Parts and Accessory Department Manager at BMW AutoPremium in Rzeszow, Poland at: kdepa (at) bmw-autopremium (dot) pl He gave me permission to share his details and will work with you on price, payment and shipment to your address.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aspherical mirrors, bmw x3, dyi, usa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST