BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Im not impressed with the welding finish on my X3 (bad finish and spikes)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #67
nonagon
Lieutenant
 
nonagon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 X3 35i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arlington VA

Posts: 569
iTrader: (0)

The seal lines are probably done by a robot. If that's the case, the nationality of the worker is not the issue, the vehicle's production line is. It should be fixed; this is not up to BMW standards. I hope BMW is continuously improving the process and can address this issue soon.
__________________
2012 X3 35i | CB/Oyster | M Sport | Premium | Tech | CW I & II | DHP | Premium Audio | Apps
-----
Past Bimmers: 2008 135i SGM, 2007 X3 3.0si SBM
nonagon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #68
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
 
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: @

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
The seal lines are probably done by a robot. If that's the case, the nationality of the worker is not the issue, the vehicle's production line is. It should be fixed; this is not up to BMW standards. I hope BMW is continuously improving the process and can address this issue soon.
Well one can say I have a one of a kind car with the fingerprint of the guy who soothed the seal line at the ends with his fingers..
X3andZ4owner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #69
Le Chef
Banned
 
Drives: BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 412
iTrader: (0)

A little more clarity

Those are not welds but sealant to increase sound deadening.

American workers are not the problem, American car companies are. Remember that Honda, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyota all produce vehicles successfully in US with high levels of reliability, fit and finish. The issue is how old the plant is, including the manufacturing technology vs the build process needed for the vehicle. Many US Big 3 plants were Stone Age in their design and the equipment workers had to use. It's a cyclical thing, but it requires smart management and smart timely investment to produce good vehicles.

If you're a global car company the goal is to provide high levels of consistency at all your plants, wherever they are. Having worked as a "partner" of BMW in the past I'm sure that what you're looking at is one end of the tolerance scale, and not the good end.

Thirdly criticism of the US economy is misplaced. When the US does well every country around to globe rides on its shirt-tails and everyone benefits but says nothing and contributes nothing. But when the US economy fails the rest of the world does nothing but complain.

Europe can't even take care of itself economically or secure it's own borders without help. Will the ECB step up to the plate and bail out Greece? And NATO is essentially US bankrolled. And I don't see a big contribution to either NATO or the global economy from Norway. Maybe European countries should stop taking the US's global leadership for granted and start stepping up to the plate to make a contribution.

And btw I carry a British passport.
Le Chef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #70
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
 
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: @

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Those are not welds but sealant to increase sound deadening.

American workers are not the problem, American car companies are. Remember that Honda, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyota all produce vehicles successfully in US with high levels of reliability, fit and finish. The issue is how old the plant is, including the manufacturing technology vs the build process needed for the vehicle. Many US Big 3 plants were Stone Age in their design and the equipment workers had to use. It's a cyclical thing, but it requires smart management and smart timely investment to produce good vehicles.

If you're a global car company the goal is to provide high levels of consistency at all your plants, wherever they are. Having worked as a "partner" of BMW in the past I'm sure that what you're looking at is one end of the tolerance scale, and not the good end.

Thirdly criticism of the US economy is misplaced. When the US does well every country around to globe rides on its shirt-tails and everyone benefits but says nothing and contributes nothing. But when the US economy fails the rest of the world does nothing but complain.

Europe can't even take care of itself economically or secure it's own borders without help. Will the ECB step up to the plate and bail out Greece? And NATO is essentially US bankrolled. And I don't see a big contribution to either NATO or the global economy from Norway. Maybe European countries should stop taking the US's global leadership for granted and start stepping up to the plate to make a contribution.

And btw I carry a British passport.
Partly agree on the manufacturing issue.
Don't agree on the economic issue, the US has always paid their partly imperialistic wars with the rest of the world..

Weapons of mass destruction in iraq duh...and Afghanistan .. Yeah , if total chaos is the goal.. Then the US will succeed.. Or do you really know why the US is at war now?

Obama criticizes china for violating human rights and in the same time have prisoners in Guantanamo for years without prosecution.. Democrazy yes..

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.
X3andZ4owner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #71
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Just my 2 cents...
That's 10 cents now!

This is car forum so half of this is not to mention dull

It's easy to knock whoever is at the top of the world's pecking order for its mistakes. America now, China soon
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #72
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
 
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: @

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
That's 10 cents now!

This is car forum so half of this is not to mention dull

It's easy to knock whoever is at the top of the world's pecking order for its mistakes. America now, China soon
Yes that was off topic, nice spin off ..

I merely dared to question if the US worker put as much soul in their work as the German... Won't happen again , next I'll have a SWAT team banging down my door... Charging me for anti-American activity..

Guys, the car is great, I have locked the trunk and I can't see the seams, problem solved ...
X3andZ4owner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #73
acey81
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Make sure you never open it again! :-D
acey81 is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #74
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
The seal lines are probably done by a robot. If that's the case, the nationality of the worker is not the issue, the vehicle's production line is. It should be fixed; this is not up to BMW standards. I hope BMW is continuously improving the process and can address this issue soon.

The sealant are applied by robots, they are not normally touched by humans in between welding & painting of the shell.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #75
RxCritical
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Yes that was off topic, nice spin off ..

I merely dared to question if the US worker put as much soul in their work as the German... Won't happen again , next I'll have a SWAT team banging down my door... Charging me for anti-American activity..

Guys, the car is great, I have locked the trunk and I can't see the seams, problem solved ...
We don't send SWAT teams overseas. Us warmongering Americans have other Teams for that.
RxCritical is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #76
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
 
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: @

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
We don't send SWAT teams overseas. Us warmongering Americans have other Teams for that.
Ok, off topic again, but I can't resist

Yes I recall that the SEALs recently took care of one guy no one had ever seen and burried him at sea according to desert Islamic traditions.. And wasn't this at the same time a guy with a funny hairdo questioned where the Us president was born? Who by the way still hasn't been able to show an original birth certificate only PDF scans... Why is this so difficult?

Only details , but what the heck, who cares about details anymore ?

Just my 2 cents again...

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.
X3andZ4owner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #77
nonagon
Lieutenant
 
nonagon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 X3 35i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arlington VA

Posts: 569
iTrader: (0)

Let's keep politics out of this. Please.
__________________
2012 X3 35i | CB/Oyster | M Sport | Premium | Tech | CW I & II | DHP | Premium Audio | Apps
-----
Past Bimmers: 2008 135i SGM, 2007 X3 3.0si SBM
nonagon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #78
skier219
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 S30i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 285
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I can confirm that the caulk is applied by robot after seeing this in some BMW production videos (I wish I could remember where I saw that). Where the caulk is straight, it's way straighter and more uniform than a human could do it, and where it's back-filled, it's done in a repeatable pattern no human could do. Go back to the picture I posted on page 1 of my Z4's caulk, and you can see a back-fill pattern very clearly.
skier219 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #79
Lotus7
Major
 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Yes, I can confirm that the caulk is applied by robot after seeing this in some BMW production videos (I wish I could remember where I saw that). Where the caulk is straight, it's way straighter and more uniform than a human could do it, and where it's back-filled, it's done in a repeatable pattern no human could do. Go back to the picture I posted on page 1 of my Z4's caulk, and you can see a back-fill pattern very clearly.
In the pics that X3andZ4owner posted, especially pic no. 4, it SURE looks like there was some human intervention in the form or somebody sticking their finger in the sealant. I've looked at the sealant line on my Feb. production X3 an there is no similar evidence of somebody sticking their fingers in where they didn't belong. The sealant lines are smooth and there are no peaks visible. It seems that his car is probably not typical of most X3s so he should have a very good case to get something done to correct it.

Who knows what actually happened. Maybe the robot sealing device was a little low on pressure or running out of sealant, so some person decided to "smooth" the sealant over a few gaps. It might be a good idea to compare the car side by side with others at the same dealership.
Lotus7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #80
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
In the pics that X3andZ4owner posted, especially pic no. 4, it SURE looks like there was some human intervention in the form or somebody sticking their finger in the sealant. I've looked at the sealant line on my Feb. production X3 an there is no similar evidence of somebody sticking their fingers in where they didn't belong. The sealant lines are smooth and there are no peaks visible. It seems that his car is probably not typical of most X3s so he should have a very good case to get something done to correct it.

Who knows what actually happened. Maybe the robot sealing device was a little low on pressure or running out of sealant, so some person decided to "smooth" the sealant over a few gaps. It might be a good idea to compare the car side by side with others at the same dealership.
For QC purpose they take samples of unpainted shells. Probably it was one of them & the inspector thought the robot applied too much (or too little) sealant.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #81
Beyu
Lieutenant
 
Beyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (0)

Decided to check the sealant in the trunk area after seeing this thread and it's smooth as butter, no jagged peaks at all. TBH even if the car did have jagged sealant I could care less. The OP's main argument is that if lapses in QC are present in areas that aren't immediately visible it could also mean that there's cause for concern in other non visible areas. To me this seems like a "what if" statement, statements like these are irrelevant because no one knows what the outcome may be; I mean what if the X3 that the OP has turns out to be a lemon, it dies before the break in period is even over and what if it turns out to be the greatest car he ever has, it could have the longest longevity of any car he's ever owned or will own.

While no one knows if the supposed lack of QC will be the death of our cars, what is known is that many of us on these forums including the OP has already purchased their X3. At this point there's not much more that any of us can do because all the complaining one can muster out won't do them any good if their car really does dies prematurely. Until a actual problem arises its trivial at best to dwell on what could happen and what rough sealant may indicate in terms of overall QC of the X3.

This thread has already strayed far enough as somehow a discussion about rough sealant has gone on to include politics, a history lesson, and the generalization of a whole country's work ethics. Bury this thread already, no need for a 5th page.
Beyu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #82
azhar
New Member
 
azhar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

I'm disappointed about BMW's quality of manufacturing just as satisfied with its driving and control. No matter whatever reason or excuse, I cannot understand a luxury brand like BMW produces car with such low standard of quality. Even many cars twice cheaper than BMW have very high quality.
azhar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #83
Le Chef
Banned
 
Drives: BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 412
iTrader: (0)

Data points

If BMW has poor manufacturing quality would you care to post the statistical data that proves it's worse than other manufacturers? I would love to see your data on this.
Le Chef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #84
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhar View Post
I'm disappointed about BMW's quality of manufacturing just as satisfied with its driving and control. No matter whatever reason or excuse, I cannot understand a luxury brand like BMW produces car with such low standard of quality. Even many cars twice cheaper than BMW have very high quality.
This doesn't match my experience at all. I owned a VW before which I thought was pretty good build quality but BMW is better again. Shut the door and you can tell from the noise it makes. So much better than the noise on my previous VW. Push down on the roof and it's hard and resists. VW roof was so soft it felt like you could dent it.
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #85
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhar View Post
I'm disappointed about BMW's quality of manufacturing just as satisfied with its driving and control. No matter whatever reason or excuse, I cannot understand a luxury brand like BMW produces car with such low standard of quality. Even many cars twice cheaper than BMW have very high quality.
Really......
gareth12468 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #86
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This doesn't match my experience at all. I owned a VW before which I thought was pretty good build quality but BMW is better again. Shut the door and you can tell from the noise it makes. So much better than the noise on my previous VW. Push down on the roof and it's hard and resists. VW roof was so soft it felt like you could dent it.
Try pushing the hood of the CR-V then......
gareth12468 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #87
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhar View Post
I'm disappointed about BMW's quality of manufacturing just as satisfied with its driving and control. No matter whatever reason or excuse, I cannot understand a luxury brand like BMW produces car with such low standard of quality. Even many cars twice cheaper than BMW have very high quality.
I don't agree at all, maybe you could prove your point?
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
tuco44 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #88
clivem2
Captain
 
Drives: F25 3.0D MSport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 827
iTrader: (0)

I have to say this is getting out of hand. The finish of the caulk on the OP's car seems to have been particularly poorly finished. It isn't right but it's not a complete disaster either, yes BMW should do better and pointing this out is no bad thing. But the X3 is not a heap of junk either.
__________________
F25 3.0D | M Sport | Black Sapphire | Oyster | Fineline Wave Wood | Heated Front Seats | Panoramic Roof | Matt Aluminium Roof Rails & Window Trim

Sept 2011
clivem2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
:-(

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST