BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Dynamic Handling Package +/- Sports Activity/M-Sport

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Dynamic Handling Package +/- Sports Activity/M-Sport

Ladies and gentlemen I have finally figured out the difference between the combinations of these packages.

Sports Activity Package without Dynamic Handling Package
Let's say you get the SAP without the DHP, you get something called "Dynamic Drive Control." Dynamic Drive Control, manages only drivetrain and engine preferences. On Normal, your engine will behave modestly, reaching up towards the fuel saving gears 7 and 8 as often as possible. If you click the up button to Sport, the engine will behave as though you have pushed the gear lever into DS, staying in lower gears with a touchier throttle response. If you push up one more time into Sport+, your engine will hold lower gears even longer, your throttle response will be near immediate with almost ZERO shift lag, and if you push the transmission to M (using the SAP designated shift paddles is best), shift timing increases with near DSG immediacy. If you're hard on the throttle when you upshift, you'll feel the car jolt a little bit. Don't be alarmed or concerned; your SAV is having an identity crisis between utility road car and sports/track car, and you like it. Selecting Sport+ will also turn on Dynamic Traction Control, which is standard for most 2010 and newer BMW models (there's a button on the shift console plate with skidding tires). Dynamic Traction Control, or DTC, "releases" your car and enables the transfer case to apply up to 100% of the power to your rear wheels, and 60% of the power to each individual wheel where superior loose-surface traction is required. Powerslides, anyone?

Sports Activity Package with Dynamic Handling Package
If you get the SAP and the DHP together, you not only get aforementioned Dynamic Drive Control, but you also get Variable Sport Steering, which variably adjusts the steering ratio depending upon your speed (something I don't love but hey, it works damn near perfect). But wait, there's more! You also get the option to control the accuracy and responsiveness of your steering, brakes, and suspension in addition to the Performance Control engine settings. And you can decide whether you want Sport to change drivetrain settings, chassis settings, or both via iDrive. The names for this vary globally: Dynamic Damper Control, Variable Damper Control, Dynamic Chassis Control, Variable Chassis Control, Adaptive Damper Control, etc. Stay in Normal and your suspension will be characteristic of a very stiff, nimble Lexus. Ordering the DHP allows you to delete the sport suspension via the Normal mode. That's not a bad thing if the ground is insufferably rough. If you selected that Sport should change both chassis and drivetrain: the drivetrain settings will be the same as described above with the SAP but no DHP. But your chassis settings: your suspension stiffens and the car becomes more nimble almost like a 3-series wagon, the steering tightens for increased responsiveness, and your brakes stiffen but become more responsive as well. Going into Sport+ also offers the same drivetrain settings as described above, but you do not have the option to alter the Sport+ dynamic settings.

The M-Sport Package with/without Dynamic Handling
The relationship between M-Sport and DHP is the same as the relationship between SAP and DHP. The online configurator and options booklet will drive you back here telling me I'm wrong, but certain information has been left out for the sake of making money and confusing buyers into things they don't understand. I can assure you, I'm correct about this.

The website will depict the M-Sport Package and DHP as having something called Performance Control--which manages a rear-bias torque split for sportier power application--where the SAP does not. This is not Dynamic Drive Control. Dynamic Drive Control is a term used for the 5 and 7 when the F10 and F01 models debuted with the console mounted Comfort-Normal-Sport-Sport+ switches as a new option. It is difficult to apply this term to the X3 because there are other options and features that share the DDC acronym.

Dynamic Handling without M-Sport or SAP
The online configurator will tell you that the DHP comes with Performance Control and that the SAP does not. I believe this is actually correct, in that if you order the DHP and the SAP you can have all that the M-Sport and DHP combo offers EXCEPT the aesthetic alterations. Performance Control is a feature that maintains a rear-oriented torque bias (40f/60r) so that power application offers a sportier, high speed cornering friendly vehicle. This power is variable as described earlier via Dynamic Traction Control (standard).

Below is the link to my order list as copied and pasted from BMWNA Track My 2011 X3 xDrive35i. As you will see, the Dynamic Handling Package listed three features when I ordered my car back in December (early February delivery), and now it lists only two. I believe this changed when the M-Sport package was added. It's either a deceptive ploy by BMW or a mistake that just so happens to look like a deceptive ploy.

X3 xDrive35i En Route!
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485060

My order (Dec '10-Feb '11):
Dynamic Handling Package
-Variable Sport Steering
-Dynamic Damper Control
-Performance Control
Another order (Mar '11-present)
Dynamic Handling Package
-Variable Sport Steering
-Performance Control

Clearly the Dynamic Damper Control name has been compromised; the option still exists exclusively with the Dynamic Handling Package, but it is no longer specified as exclusive to the Dynamic Handling Package (even though it is).

I hope this dispels any confusion. I apologize if I've further confused you, but my words are as clear as BMW is willing to offer the correct and fully explained options list. But then again, if they wanted to correct it, they'd pay a wordsmith for a more intuitive read.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)

Last edited by xDrive35i; 05-18-2011 at 10:40 PM.
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
pault
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 F25 35i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
This is awesome and finally makes sense. Makes me wonder how BMW made something so complex when they really didn't need to. We can all get back to enjoying driving our new cars now.
__________________
2011 F25 35i Space Gray with Black Leather
Cold Weather | Convenience | Dynamic Handling | Premium | Sport Activity | Technology | Dynamic Damper Control | Head-up Display | Smartphone | BMW Apps | Premium hi-fi | Satellite radio | Automatic high beams
pault is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
mole7374
Private First Class
 
Drives: '11 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I have finally figured out the difference between the combinations of these packages.

Sports Activity Package without Dynamic Handling Package
Let's say you get the SAP without the DHP, you get something called "Dynamic Drive Control." Dynamic Drive Control, manages only drivetrain and engine preferences. On Normal, your engine will behave modestly, reaching up towards the fuel saving gears 7 and 8 as often as possible. If you click the up button to Sport, the engine will behave as though you have pushed the gear lever into DS, staying in lower gears with a touchier throttle response. If you push up one more time into Sport+, your engine will hold lower gears even longer, your throttle response will be near immediate with almost ZERO shift lag, and if you push the transmission to M (using the SAP designated shift paddles is best), shift timing increases with near DSG immediacy. If you're hard on the throttle when you upshift, you'll feel the car jolt a little bit. Don't be alarmed or concerned; your SAV is having an identity crisis between utility road car and sports/track car, and you like it. Selecting Sport+ will also turn on Dynamic Traction Control, which is standard for most 2010 and newer BMW models (there's a button on the shift console plate with skidding tires). Dynamic Traction Control, or DTC, "releases" your car and enables the transfer case to apply up to 100% of the power to your rear wheels, and 60% of the power to each individual wheel where superior loose-surface traction is required. Powerslides, anyone?

Sports Activity Package with Dynamic Handling Package
If you get the SAP and the DHP together, you not only get aforementioned Dynamic Drive Control, but you also get Variable Sport Steering, which variably adjusts the steering ratio depending upon your speed (something I don't love but hey, it works damn near perfect). But wait, there's more! You also get the option to control the accuracy and responsiveness of your steering, brakes, and suspension in addition to the Performance Control engine settings. And you can decide whether you want Sport to change drivetrain settings, chassis settings, or both via iDrive. The names for this vary globally: Dynamic Damper Control, Variable Damper Control, Dynamic Chassis Control, Variable Chassis Control, Adaptive Damper Control, etc. Stay in Normal and your suspension will be characteristic of a very stiff, nimble Lexus. Ordering the DHP allows you to delete the sport suspension via the Normal mode. That's not a bad thing if the ground is insufferably rough. If you selected that Sport should change both chassis and drivetrain: the drivetrain settings will be the same as described above with the SAP but no DHP. But your chassis settings: your suspension stiffens and the car becomes more nimble almost like a 3-series wagon, the steering tightens for increased responsiveness, and your brakes stiffen but become more responsive as well. Going into Sport+ also offers the same drivetrain settings as described above, but you do not have the option to alter the Sport+ dynamic settings.

The M-Sport Package with/without Dynamic Handling
The relationship between M-Sport and DHP is the same as the relationship between SAP and DHP. The online configurator and options booklet will drive you back here telling me I'm wrong, but certain information has been left out for the sake of making money and confusing buyers into things they don't understand. I can assure you, I'm correct about this.

The website will depict the M-Sport Package and DHP as having something called Performance Control--which manages a rear-bias torque split for sportier power application--where the SAP does not. This is not Dynamic Drive Control. Dynamic Drive Control is a term used for the 5 and 7 when the F10 and F01 models debuted with the console mounted Comfort-Normal-Sport-Sport+ switches as a new option. It is difficult to apply this term to the X3 because there are other options and features that share the DDC acronym.

Dynamic Handling without M-Sport or SAP
The online configurator will tell you that the DHP comes with Performance Control and that the SAP does not. I believe this is actually correct, in that if you order the DHP and the SAP you can have all that the M-Sport and DHP combo offers EXCEPT the aesthetic alterations. Performance Control is a feature that maintains a rear-oriented torque bias (40f/60r) so that power application offers a sportier, high speed cornering friendly vehicle. This power is variable as described earlier via Dynamic Traction Control (standard).

Below is the link to my order list as copied and pasted from BMWNA Track My 2011 X3 xDrive35i. As you will see, the Dynamic Handling Package listed three features when I ordered my car back in December (early February delivery), and now it lists only two. I believe this changed when the M-Sport package was added. It's either a deceptive ploy by BMW or a mistake that just so happens to look like a deceptive ploy.

X3 xDrive35i En Route!
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485060

My order (Dec '10-Feb '11):
Dynamic Handling Package
-Variable Sport Steering
-Dynamic Damper Control
-Performance Control
Another order (Mar '11-present)
Dynamic Handling Package
-Variable Sport Steering
-Performance Control

Clearly the Dynamic Damper Control name has been compromised; the option still exists exclusively with the Dynamic Handling Package, but it is no longer specified as exclusive to the Dynamic Handling Package (even though it is).

I hope this dispels any confusion. I apologize if I've further confused you, but my words are as clear as BMW is willing to offer the correct and fully explained options list. But then again, if they wanted to correct it, they'd pay a wordsmith for a more intuitive read.


Is this your own interpretation of it or something you got directly from BMW?? I only ask b/c this topic has had so many different threads where the opinions have been all over the place (including the one from the other forum with you on it) I think BMW has made us all start guessing and guessing incorrectly.

The only think I will say on your post is this.... you have not accounted for the differences between the 28i and 35i with SAP! They clearly have a different setup b/c the 28i does NOT get driving dynamics with the SAP...only the 35i gets that b/c you need the sport auto tranny for that. (see link here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513681

The other thing is this....as many people who have the 35i with SAP and no DHP are reporting, their idrive is allowing them to setup the chassis control in addition to the throttle control, and their own experiences are that of the suspension getting tighter. its not just one or two people saying that...many are. I take delivery on Monday so I'll let you know....my gut is telling me that the DHP setup is more advanced in that it not only sets things up in a stiffer/sportier manner, but it allows each wheel to behave completely differently whereas with the SAP 35i, it may get stiffer but each wheel stays the same.

What i'd really like to see on this is an OFFICIAL BMW announcement...not that I'm flaming your post b/c you have done a lot of posting on this, but I just think tha twe are all still guessing and BMW needs to clarify.
mole7374 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
mole7374
Private First Class
 
Drives: '11 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

btw...here's the other thread I'm talking about...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519423
mole7374 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Is this your own interpretation of it or something you got directly from BMW?? I only ask b/c this topic has had so many different threads where the opinions have been all over the place (including the one from the other forum with you on it) I think BMW has made us all start guessing and guessing incorrectly.

The only think I will say on your post is this.... you have not accounted for the differences between the 28i and 35i with SAP! They clearly have a different setup b/c the 28i does NOT get driving dynamics with the SAP...only the 35i gets that b/c you need the sport auto tranny for that. (see link here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513681

The other thing is this....as many people who have the 35i with SAP and no DHP are reporting, their idrive is allowing them to setup the chassis control in addition to the throttle control, and their own experiences are that of the suspension getting tighter. its not just one or two people saying that...many are. I take delivery on Monday so I'll let you know....my gut is telling me that the DHP setup is more advanced in that it not only sets things up in a stiffer/sportier manner, but it allows each wheel to behave completely differently whereas with the SAP 35i, it may get stiffer but each wheel stays the same.

What i'd really like to see on this is an OFFICIAL BMW announcement...not that I'm flaming your post b/c you have done a lot of posting on this, but I just think tha twe are all still guessing and BMW needs to clarify.
Well, yes, I thought the sophistication of the entire system--and my understanding of it therein--was implied in my 4 paragraph essay .
You are right, though. I did forget the 28i aspect of things; I even knew that. Whoops. There's really no telling why BMW has done it this way, but all I know is that this description is the way I ordered the car, and Dynamic Damper Control is still an option that is supposed to be exclusive to the Dynamic Handling Package.

This information did come from both my sales associate at the dealership and the superintendent of the service department. In a panic when I originally ordered my car, I noticed that the DHP was not listed on Track My BMW. It was also not listed on my showroom sticker, but it was on the bill and the contract where I signed. I had called my sales associate to confirm I did receive the DHP before I took delivery, and he confirmed via a dealer-BMWNA server that it was, in fact, featured on the vehicle. Many people who ordered the car with the SAP 35i and no DHP think they have the DHP (or its features) by mistake because the configurator does not add the switches unless the DHP is added. But when selecting the SAP 35i, the switches should technically show up if BMWNA would get their asses moving and call the geek squad or something!

I know this is the way that the 35i works.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
btw...here's the other thread I'm talking about...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519423
Yeah. I'm in that thread. I carefully considered what was discussed to make sure I did not get anything incorrect.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...36&postcount=8

His last statement about the 35i is what I was trying to explain, but in greater detail so nobody had any extra questions. Anybody who is confused about the car they got and the options they received, well, they're destined to be confused. There's a placebo effect of having the switches and thinking they include the damper control. I know I'm right about this. I don't mean to be indignant, but I've been following every move of this car since March 2010. I've built the car over 150 times before purchasing. The configurator was not mistake ridden when I ordered my car.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Want the thrill
Major
 
Drives: X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MI

Posts: 1,102
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 X3 35i  [3.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Yeah. I'm in that thread. I carefully considered what was discussed to make sure I did not get anything incorrect. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...36&postcount=8

His last statement about the 35i is what I was trying to explain, but in greater detail so nobody had any extra questions. Anybody who is confused about the car they got and the options they received, well, they're destined to be confused. There's a placebo effect of having the switches and thinking they include the damper control. I know I'm right about this. I don't mean to be indignant, but I've been following every move of this car since March 2010. I've built the car over 150 times before purchasing. The configurator was not mistake ridden when I ordered my car.
I beg to differ Juddholland. You were WRONG in that thread. You argued with me that there was not a sport switch on the 35i unless you ordered the DHP. I told you and showed you in pictures that there was. You told me my Sales associate lied and that I was wrong and it must have been a mistake. I have the 35i with the Sport Activity package and I can tell you that the steering completely changes as well when you use the sport and sport +. It becomes much tighter. You can also feel every bump in road and the shift points are higher. I'm really sick of this getting re-hashed. When I see something official from BMW, I might just believe it.
Want the thrill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,849
iTrader: (0)

Great post. The UK is confused on this too. There is a "dynamic package" but that only includes performance control and some other non-engine related options.

If you add VDC you get DDC but not VSS.
If you add VSS and not VDC you get DDC.
If you add VDC and VSS and perf control (through dynamic package or its own) you get the lot.
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
ManMachine
Lieutenant
 
ManMachine's Avatar
 
Drives: 3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Volcanoes

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

Juddholland is correct, especially regarding the dynamic damping control. We are just waiting for someone with M Sport and without DHP to take a photo of the suspension components to confirm.

And seriously, most people driving X3 will never bother to remove a wheel just to take a picture. Why bother to confirm something that's likely not there? Those who do care, like Lotus7, have the DHP option.

About the steering - the default steering is servotronic on all BMW models.

see: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html

The variable sport steering option is NOT part of the SAP. It's part of DHP. And it is part of M Sport package.

see: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...kage.html#more

Of course, in the U.S., M Sport does NOT have the sport suspension, thus "sport suspension delete" is part of the U.S. M Sport (kinda amusing if you ask me, but that's the decision of BMWNA).
__________________
328i
ManMachine is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I beg to differ Juddholland. You were WRONG in that thread. You argued with me that there was not a sport switch on the 35i unless you ordered the DHP. I told you and showed you in pictures that there was. You told me my Sales associate lied and that I was wrong and it must have been a mistake. I have the 35i with the Sport Activity package and I can tell you that the steering completely changes as well when you use the sport and sport +. It becomes much tighter. You can also feel every bump in road and the shift points are higher. I'm really sick of this getting re-hashed. When I see something official from BMW, I might just believe it.
Yeah I was wrong, and then I corrected so as not to make those mistakes again.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

I have the DHP. I do care, not enough to remove the wheel. My money's spent, I have a smile on my face. I was trying to do a nice thing for the people on the forum. So I did my research and called in some aids. I don't see why this is a big deal, for any of you.

Let's try the following words, shall we?

"Thank you."

Now, now, now, no fuss! I know these phonetics are hard, but you can do it! Just do your best.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
whispered
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2011 Carbon Black X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I have the DHP. I do care, not enough to remove the wheel. My money's spent, I have a smile on my face. I was trying to do a nice thing for the people on the forum. So I did my research and called in some aids. I don't see why this is a big deal, for any of you.

Let's try the following words, shall we?

"Thank you."

Now, now, now, no fuss! I know these phonetics are hard, but you can do it! Just do your best.
Thank you. Your post was one of the most detailed one that I have seen to date regarding the confusion. BMW should copy/paste it and put it in their X3 description!
whispered is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Great post. The UK is confused on this too. There is a "dynamic package" but that only includes performance control and some other non-engine related options.

If you add VDC you get DDC but not VSS.
If you add VSS and not VDC you get DDC.
If you add VDC and VSS and perf control (through dynamic package or its own) you get the lot.
Plus motherfucking one for that whom I've observed to be the least contentious member of this community; you, sfax.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,849
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
About the steering - the default steering is servotronic on all BMW models.

see: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html
It's not standard in the UK. It's a cost option, and one worth getting IMO
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,849
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Plus motherfucking one
This is a fantastic alternative for the XBimmers app iPhone bug where "+1" gets posted as "1". Plus motherfucking one from hereon in
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This is a fantastic alternative for the XBimmers app iPhone bug where "+1" gets posted as "1". Plus motherfucking one from hereon in
I'd write +1 again, but that's not the standard protocol as of five minutes ago.
__________________
2001 Audi A6 Allroad 2.7T (C5); 2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro (C6); 2005 BMW X5 4.4i (E53); 2008 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon (E61); 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i (F25); 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro Prestige (B8)
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #17
lola_falana_12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: X3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

I test drove the 28i that had SAP and I thought it had the buttons to shift from Normal to Sport. I remember my CA telling me to shift to feel the difference.
lola_falana_12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,849
iTrader: (0)

There might be some confusion here with nudging the shifter to the left (right if LHD?!) which puts the transmission in DS rather than D. This is standard on all X3s I think and just changes the ratios/revs. This isn't DDC.
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #19
mole7374
Private First Class
 
Drives: '11 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Can't we all get along??? Do you know what the REAL crazy thing is....BMW has caused all of this f-n chaos but making this feature/setup/option whatever the F you want to call it...impossible to understand. I think to the other user's point about Lotus7 and the removing the wheel, that really helps...see this thread: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=520196&page=7

And like I originally said....that thread is a LONG SS thread and is probably one of 8 or 9 I've read on DHP...

The one thing I think everyone will agree on is that the "dynamic dampening" factor is absolutely a DHP thing...and that it looks like per BMWs site (and what everyone here has discussed) that it can be setup on cars independent of everything else. Obviously as noted in other models, the BIG thing that DHP does is it will modify the suspension on an active and ongoing basis for each wheel individually...that is crystal clear! I honestly don't know if hitting sport or sport+ on a 35i changes the suspension to stiffer...I have not taken delivery yet...but what I do know is that it shows up in idrive and users have been reporting it feels stiffer...but what we all should agree on, is that even if the 35i does do that, what it doesn't do is active each wheeel individually (ie DHP) and changes the feel/setup of each wheel. It seems like if the 35 does do it, it's an all or nothing approach, whereas with DHP its an individual wheel approach. WHO THE F REALLY KNOWS EXCEPT THE CRAZY ENGINEERS WHO BUILD THIS DAM THING!!!

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ics/index.html

Seriously though...let's all hug b/c we are in this together and I think the more each user posts the better it is...Judd I wasn't being contentious in the beginning either, but I just waneted to put it out there that on this VERY confusing topic, let's make sure that everyone knows it's our opinion....even if it's an educated opinion....or a VERY educated opinion...and not BMW fact. After all...many people are spending money based upon what they read here and we need to be sure we don't present our opinions as facts unless we know 100%....which I don't think any of us do...that being said great write up.

And the BIG THANK YOU can go to BMW for confusing the F out of all of us!
mole7374 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #20
Want the thrill
Major
 
Drives: X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MI

Posts: 1,102
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 X3 35i  [3.88]
++1 to that!
Want the thrill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: kia
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NW

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

lot's to process here, but kudos to juddholland for the legwork.

so now my question which apparently isn't clear yet, does comfort mode on a m-sport non-dhp m3 provide a more comfortable ride than sport/sport+? does the suspension stiffen (non-wheel independent, of course) overall for sport/sport+ or is it a placebo effect?
lhsa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Marmik
Private
 
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsa View Post
lot's to process here, but kudos to juddholland for the legwork.

so now my question which apparently isn't clear yet, does comfort mode on a m-sport non-dhp m3 provide a more comfortable ride than sport/sport+? does the suspension stiffen (non-wheel independent, of course) overall for sport/sport+ or is it a placebo effect?
Clearly feels to me like the answer is YES. The effect is too pronounced to be placebo effect imho. And it's too firm for me, I prefer normal.
Marmik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST