BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Anyone concerned about radiation contamination?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
andrewbmw
New Member
 
Drives: x3 28i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Anyone concerned about radiation contamination?

Fellow new/future X3 owners,

I ordered my X3 a few weeks ago then realized that some parts might be imported from Japan.

I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month.

Does anyone else has the similar concern? What can we do to have the peace of mind other than canceling the order?
andrewbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (0)

NO.
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
tuco44 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

You'll be fine. Just don't eat it
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
silverforumsurf
Private
 
Drives: To Buy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

not sure how much a geiger counter costs but that'd solve the issue
silverforumsurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
 
Beyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (0)

A million ways to die everyday, the least of my worries is contaminated plastic or metal in a car. I always found it funny when people complained about unhealthy things such as obesity, pesticides, or radiation then go tanning or smoke a cigarette.
Beyu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Harplayr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
A million ways to die everyday, the least of my worries is contaminated plastic or metal in a car. I always found it funny when people complained about unhealthy things such as obesity, pesticides, or radiation then go tanning or smoke a cigarette.
True dat!
In less they are now using that reactor as a smelting pit, I wouldn’t worry about radiation.

I remember the musty smell in my grandparent’s basement.
Now a days it would be declared a bio hazard due to the mold down there.
We worry too much.
Harplayr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Lotus7
Major
 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
Fellow new/future X3 owners,
..I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month....
The only measurable amount of contamination beyond the 30 km immediate no-travel zone has been I-131. This isotope has only been found in tiny amounts in the drinking water. It's virtually impossible for any of it to have been incorporated in any of the electronics components coming form Japan that are used in a X3. In addition, I-131 has a half live of only 8 days. After 40 days the radiation level would be only 1/256th of the initial amount.

According to all reports no Uranium or Plutonium has escaped beyond a few km from the plants.

If you have granite counter tops in your kitchen or any cracks in your basement (which often leak the alpha emitter Polonium -218) you will be exposed to thousands of times the nuclear radiation that you'll ever see from a X3 made with components made in Japan.

One cross country flight in a plane at 35,000 feet or one dental x-ray would be much more exposure.
Lotus7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The only measurable amount of contamination beyond the 30 km immediate no-travel zone has been I-131. This isotope has only been found in tiny amounts in the drinking water. It's virtually impossible for any of it to have been incorporated in any of the electronics components coming form Japan that are used in a X3. In addition, I-131 has a half live of only 8 days. After 40 days the radiation level would be only 1/256th of the initial amount.

According to all reports no Uranium or Plutonium has escaped beyond a few km from the plants.

If you have granite counter tops in your kitchen or any cracks in your basement (which often leak the alpha emitter Polonium -218) you will be exposed to thousands of times the nuclear radiation that you'll ever see from a X3 made with components made in Japan.

One cross country flight in a plane at 35,000 feet or one dental x-ray would be much more exposure.
You'd be quite handy on a pub quiz team Lotus

With an average wait of over 6 months, the 8 day half life makes all UK orders safe
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
 
BIMMER UK 76's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You'll be fine. Just don't eat it


Radiation
__________________

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
BIMMER UK 76 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Lotus7
Major
 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You'd be quite handy on a pub quiz team Lotus
lol:
Maybe not. 40 days decay at an 8 day half-life actually leaves 1/32nd remaining (mental hiccup substituted 8 days for 8 half-lives). Still, not to worry, 1/32nd of nothing is still pretty low.
Lotus7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
andrewbmw
New Member
 
Drives: x3 28i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the assurance but don't forget caesium-137, which is also in a significant level and has much longer half life.

"The daily amount of caesium-137 released from Fukushima Daiichi is around 60 per cent of the amount released from Chernobyl, http://www.prisonplanet.com/japanese...s-leaking.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The only measurable amount of contamination beyond the 30 km immediate no-travel zone has been I-131. This isotope has only been found in tiny amounts in the drinking water. It's virtually impossible for any of it to have been incorporated in any of the electronics components coming form Japan that are used in a X3. In addition, I-131 has a half live of only 8 days. After 40 days the radiation level would be only 1/256th of the initial amount.

According to all reports no Uranium or Plutonium has escaped beyond a few km from the plants.

If you have granite counter tops in your kitchen or any cracks in your basement (which often leak the alpha emitter Polonium -218) you will be exposed to thousands of times the nuclear radiation that you'll ever see from a X3 made with components made in Japan.

One cross country flight in a plane at 35,000 feet or one dental x-ray would be much more exposure.
andrewbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My hair has been falling out in clumps ever since I picked mine up.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Shaw
Captain
 
Shaw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i, 2014 F15 X5 35D
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
Fellow new/future X3 owners,

I ordered my X3 a few weeks ago then realized that some parts might be imported from Japan.

I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month.

Does anyone else has the similar concern? What can we do to have the peace of mind other than canceling the order?
My friend,
with all the responses you've got here, I think you just earned yourself the funniest thread in this forum!!!
Shaw is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
Fellow new/future X3 owners,

I ordered my X3 a few weeks ago then realized that some parts might be imported from Japan.

I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month.

Does anyone else has the similar concern? What can we do to have the peace of mind other than canceling the order?
I think its better to worry about those bad drivers on the road.....
gareth12468 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Beyu
Lieutenant
 
Beyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
My hair has been falling out in clumps ever since I picked mine up.
Beyu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
jt2
Annoyance
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

I wondered why the dashboard illumination was green instead of red..
jt2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,876
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
Fellow new/future X3 owners,

I ordered my X3 a few weeks ago then realized that some parts might be imported from Japan.

I can't help thinking about the possibility of the radiation contamination due to the Japan nuclear leak last month.

Does anyone else has the similar concern? What can we do to have the peace of mind other than canceling the order?
You're thinking about a non-thing here. Really, really, really, a non-thing. I can't possibly emphasize without getting quite rude and condescending how much of a non-thing this is. On the flip side, if you have the time and mental capacity to worry about something as fantastic as this, you're life must be pretty dang good. Congrats on that!
__________________
Nahoa is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
andrewbmw
New Member
 
Drives: x3 28i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Well, it might be a non-issue for you or many other people but just not me.

As the matter of fact, dear wife will be primary driver and two little boys will be sitting in the car on daily base ...

There are lots of risks in one's life and I don't care about most of them, but not those which could endanger my beloved ones. I can't just say to myself that they won't happen and do nothing.

I will try to get a Geiger counter though they seem to be sold out everywhere. I also called BMW USA and requested a disclosure on the list of parts and material which were imported from Japan and used in X3. Will post if I hear back anything.

Anyhow, thank you all for the positive replies and have a great weekend!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
You're thinking about a non-thing here. Really, really, really, a non-thing. I can't possibly emphasize without getting quite rude and condescending how much of a non-thing this is. On the flip side, if you have the time and mental capacity to worry about something as fantastic as this, you're life must be pretty dang good. Congrats on that!
andrewbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,876
iTrader: (0)

See the part about it being a non-issue isn't an opinion, it's science, physics. You can make it into an issue, but it's your own fantasy. Good luck buying a Geiger counter -- you can't. Try looking for a scintillator. That'll detect radiation -- lots of it everywhere. Next you'll need to learn what radiation is significant. If you don't you'll be busy hiding yourself and your beloved kids from the dirt in your garden and the ash from the wonderful coal fueled power plants that is -- you guessed it -- not only toxic, but also radioactive.

Bottom line, you're chasing your behind around the table. Knock yourself out but watch out, my guess is Darwin's after you . . .
__________________
Nahoa is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,876
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
One cross country flight in a plane at 35,000 feet or one dental x-ray would be much more exposure.
That's it. Never taking my kids on an airplane again without a Geiger counter.

1 Geiger . . . 2 Geigers . . . 3 Geigers . . .
__________________
Nahoa is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
Well, it might be a non-issue for you or many other people but just not me.

As the matter of fact, dear wife will be primary driver and two little boys will be sitting in the car on daily base ...

There are lots of risks in one's life and I don't care about most of them, but not those which could endanger my beloved ones. I can't just say to myself that they won't happen and do nothing.

I will try to get a Geiger counter though they seem to be sold out everywhere. I also called BMW USA and requested a disclosure on the list of parts and material which were imported from Japan and used in X3. Will post if I hear back anything.

Anyhow, thank you all for the positive replies and have a great weekend!
I bet the risk of your beloved group being hit by a drunk driver is way higher than a radiation risk on Japanese parts.....but of course, that's one of the risks you don't care about.

I think you are misguided - but it's your life. Happy hunting.
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
tuco44 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
andrewbmw
New Member
 
Drives: x3 28i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Sure radiation is everywhere but that's not the point. What I am talking about here is the level which might be much higher than the average background radiation level, due to the potential nuclear contamination in the part from Japan. And that's what a decent geiger counter is suppose to do, Nah?

I appreciate the reply but your arguments doesn't sound to be scientific by any means.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
See the part about it being a non-issue isn't an opinion, it's science, physics. You can make it into an issue, but it's your own fantasy. Good luck buying a Geiger counter -- you can't. Try looking for a scintillator. That'll detect radiation -- lots of it everywhere. Next you'll need to learn what radiation is significant. If you don't you'll be busy hiding yourself and your beloved kids from the dirt in your garden and the ash from the wonderful coal fueled power plants that is -- you guessed it -- not only toxic, but also radioactive.

Bottom line, you're chasing your behind around the table. Knock yourself out but watch out, my guess is Darwin's after you . . .
andrewbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST