BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Impressions after 1 week - Yes, another owner X3 review....

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
BIMMER UK 76
Major
 
BIMMER UK 76's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post


Yes....I do know how to stop my guidance, but to prove a point I just went out to my car and set "stop guidance" as a favorite button. Now, stop and listen to what I am saying people.....

My "stop guidance" works perfectly too BEFORE I get to my destination. To simulate what I'm talking about you will need to drive to your destination without stopping so the Nav knows you reached where you were going. Now, keep on driving past your destination without switching off your car and without "stopping navigation" before you get to where you're going. Your arrow will now point to where you've been and starting adding feet as you drive away even though your main screen is done navigating. At this point you shouldn't be able to "stop nav" because you are already there. In fact, after you reach the destination and your chick tells you you're there, pressing your favorite button that you've set on "stop navigation" will, in fact, restart your navigation because that's the same place your favorite switch was set up. Try it and see.

This thread is driving me nuts. Am I taking crazy pills here or is it just me and the other 2 people in this thread that this happens to???
I'm with you but other peeps only trying to help
__________________

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
BIMMER UK 76 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post


Yes....I do know how to stop my guidance, but to prove a point I just went out to my car and set "stop guidance" as a favorite button. Now, stop and listen to what I am saying people.....

My "stop guidance" works perfectly too BEFORE I get to my destination. To simulate what I'm talking about you will need to drive to your destination without stopping so the Nav knows you reached where you were going. Now, keep on driving past your destination without switching off your car and without "stopping navigation" before you get to where you're going. Your arrow will now point to where you've been and starting adding feet as you drive away even though your main screen is done navigating. At this point you shouldn't be able to "stop nav" because you are already there. In fact, after you reach the destination and your chick tells you you're there, pressing your favorite button that you've set on "stop navigation" will, in fact, restart your navigation because that's the same place your favorite switch was set up. Try it and see.

This thread is driving me nuts. Am I taking crazy pills here or is it just me and the other 2 people in this thread that this happens to???
haha - my bad! Apologies - again!! I didn't read your initial post properly and was in the car and thought, I'll just try it before I get there. And then said to myself, it's fine, what's he on about?!

I assume I will have the same problem but I will of course check - properly this time
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

Incidentally, why do you keep driving past your end destination?
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
lateshow
Private First Class
 
lateshow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
haha - my bad! Apologies - again!! I didn't read your initial post properly and was in the car and thought, I'll just try it before I get there. And then said to myself, it's fine, what's he on about?!

I assume I will have the same problem but I will of course check - properly this time
No worries whatsoever. My frustration isn't directed at any one member in particular...just frustration in general trying to explain something that isn't logical to a bunch of logical people (assuming logical people buy BMW's). If I wasn't the one facilitating this thread I wouldn't believe me either. It's such an illogical thing for an engineering nerd like me to understand and/or explain properly.
lateshow is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
 
sfax's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

Posts: 3,853
iTrader: (0)

Just kidding
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
sfax is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #28
Razel
Rider and driver
 
Razel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black X35i Rides: K1300GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fremont, CA.

Posts: 251
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Razel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Incidentally, why do you keep driving past your end destination?
I certainly hope he as a little sense of humor left ...
__________________
2011 X3 35i
Black Saphire - Nevada Mojave - Y Spoke 308 - Premium Sound - Navigation

I work for Keyser Söze
Razel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #29
BIMMER UK 76
Major
 
BIMMER UK 76's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Incidentally, why do you keep driving past your end destination?


I went to a country house and the address was the gateway, however, the driveway is about 3 miles long and the arrows got me and wouldnt go damn it - please dont mock the afflicted
__________________

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
BIMMER UK 76 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #30
lateshow
Private First Class
 
lateshow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Incidentally, why do you keep driving past your end destination?
I pick people up and drop people off quite a bit. That's where this applies. I use the Nav even though I know where I'm going to get routed around traffic when nesessary without having to pay attention to the traffic icons.

It's not a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things. I was hoping to find out I was doing something wrong. Looks like instead I found a tiny glitch in the software that doesn't make intuitive sense. What would the purpose be of leaving the arrows in action?
lateshow is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #31
Bustofa
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington, UK

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a cock up rather than a conspiracy to me. P. poor software testing I would suspect.
Bustofa is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #32
lateshow
Private First Class
 
lateshow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
And here's another crazy thing...my passenger side fog light came on for no reason today. Noticed it reflecting off the back of another car. It still on when I got home so I snapped a pic so the dealer won't think I'm nuts.
lateshow is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #33
lateshow
Private First Class
 
lateshow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
And here's another crazy thing...my passenger side fog light came on for no reason today. Noticed it reflecting off the back of another car. It still on when I got home so I snapped a pic so the dealer won't think I'm nuts.
Oddly enough, I noticed this on the test drive car that the Drive Event dude pulled up to me and my wife as well but I didn't bother saying anything. Just thought it to be a strange thing.
lateshow is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #34
Ultimate Driver
New Member
 
Drives: X3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North America

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

While this is a minor thing, I can understand your frustration (I have a similar issue with bot being able to program my garage door opener). I didn't notice the arrows staying on after reaching the destination but for good measure tried it out today. It definitely does NOT happen on mine (28i March build) so I would check it out with your dealer.
Ultimate Driver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #35
Razel
Rider and driver
 
Razel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black X35i Rides: K1300GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fremont, CA.

Posts: 251
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Razel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
Oddly enough, I noticed this on the test drive car that the Drive Event dude pulled up to me and my wife as well but I didn't bother saying anything. Just thought it to be a strange thing.
It's a feature. Turn to the right, and the right fog light comes on as a cornering aid. Park in the driveway and have an observer tell you what happens ... turn right, right comes on. Turn left, the right goes out and the left comes on.
__________________
2011 X3 35i
Black Saphire - Nevada Mojave - Y Spoke 308 - Premium Sound - Navigation

I work for Keyser Söze
Razel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
Razel
Rider and driver
 
Razel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black X35i Rides: K1300GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fremont, CA.

Posts: 251
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Razel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
While this is a minor thing, I can understand your frustration (I have a similar issue with bot being able to program my garage door opener). I didn't notice the arrows staying on after reaching the destination but for good measure tried it out today. It definitely does NOT happen on mine (28i March build) so I would check it out with your dealer.
Pulled into the driveway last night after earlier setting my destination to "Home". Left arrow still lit, 400ft to go. Voice command: "Guidance Off". Voice replies "Guidance already off".

__________________
2011 X3 35i
Black Saphire - Nevada Mojave - Y Spoke 308 - Premium Sound - Navigation

I work for Keyser Söze
Razel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #37
lateshow
Private First Class
 
lateshow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
It's a feature. Turn to the right, and the right fog light comes on as a cornering aid. Park in the driveway and have an observer tell you what happens ... turn right, right comes on. Turn left, the right goes out and the left comes on.
That's news to me, so thanks. I didn't see that anywhere in the manual and this is my first BMW. Makes sense I guess, but certainly didn't expect that to be a feature.
lateshow is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #38
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
 
LEDZEP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

Posts: 12,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
It's a feature. Turn to the right, and the right fog light comes on as a cornering aid. Park in the driveway and have an observer tell you what happens ... turn right, right comes on. Turn left, the right goes out and the left comes on.
Correct. This has been on several models for some years now. I know the 3 Series has had cornering lights for awhile.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
LEDZEP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST