BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Push Start/Stop Standard?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
wagsoja
Private
1
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

Push Start/Stop Standard?

Hi guys, even though my X3 28i should be coming in within the next couple weeks I have a question. I know the comfort access package lets you start/stop the engine without entering the key fob anywhere. But how do you start/stop the car if you don't have that option? Do you still insert the fob, and push the fob in, or is the start/stop engine button still there and you push that in once the key is inserted. Just curious, and I don't want to wait until the X3 comes in! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
4
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

It's the same even if you do not have the Comfort Access package. This feature is now standard in all X3s (at least in North America).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
MA78
TK-421
MA78's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Yep. No need to insert a key into anything. Keyless Start/Stop is now standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,041
Posts

 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

iTrader: (0)

As jijioben said, All X3's have the big push button and no F25 X3's have a key slot, except for the "emergency" mechanical keyhole in the driver's door handle.

The system actually is redundant and has (2) ways of allowing the car to start:

Normally, with a fully functional key fob with a good internal battery, the key fob sends a coded signal to the car's receiver that "unlocks" the ignition and disables the theft prevention interlocks. The car then sends a status signal to the fob, which is stored, that records the vehicle condition, mileage and any fault codes. Supposedly, the key can be read at a dealership and the condition of the car can then be evaluated without the car actually being there!

If the key fob lithium battery dies, you can still start the car by holding the bottom surface of the key fob in contact with a specially marked space on the right side of the steering column. It appears that the key fob has a coded RFID chip and if the Start/Stop button is pressed with no normal fob RF signal present, the car will then scan for the RFID chip. This is a very short-range signal so the key fob must be positioned correctly.

The F25 X3 key fob uses a primary battery that is not recharged in the vehicle (unlike some others that are recharged), so expect to have to replace the battery at some point in the future (see pp. 32 in the X3 manual).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
wagsoja
Private
1
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

wow. thats awesome. when did that become standard? they don't really promote that fact anywhere. I was searching!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,041
Posts

 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsoja View Post
wow. thats awesome. when did that become standard? they don't really promote that fact anywhere. I was searching!
Haven't checked any other countries, but since the UK and USA configuration websites have been up (many months), all that has been available has been the current push button Start/Stop system.

It's sophisticated, and that means it's probably a fairly expensive key to replace. I don't have a reference handy, but believe I read somewhere that the system will handle up to (4) keys with (2) sets of presets for each key. Therefore you can have up to (8) different drivers' settings (seat & mirror positions) and (4) radio presets, cell phone directories, iDrive settings, etc.) stored and automatically changed as the key is activated.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
MA78
TK-421
MA78's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
As jijioben said, All X3's have the big push button and no F25 X3's have a key slot, except for the "emergency" mechanical keyhole in the driver's door handle.

The system actually is redundant and has (2) ways of allowing the car to start:

Normally, with a fully functional key fob with a good internal battery, the key fob sends a coded signal to the car's receiver that "unlocks" the ignition and disables the theft prevention interlocks. The car then sends a status signal to the fob, which is stored, that records the vehicle condition, mileage and any fault codes. Supposedly, the key can be read at a dealership and the condition of the car can then be evaluated without the car actually being there!

If the key fob lithium battery dies, you can still start the car by holding the bottom surface of the key fob in contact with a specially marked space on the right side of the steering column. It appears that the key fob has a coded RFID chip and if the Start/Stop button is pressed with no normal fob RF signal present, the car will then scan for the RFID chip. This is a very short-range signal so the key fob must be positioned correctly.

The F25 X3 key fob uses a primary battery that is not recharged in the vehicle (unlike some others that are recharged), so expect to have to replace the battery at some point in the future (see pp. 32 in the X3 manual).
A wealth of information as always!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,041
Posts

 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
A wealth of information as always!
I just hope that someone doesn't decide that lithium disc batteries are bad for the environment (as the US government has done for mercury and some silver oxide batteries and R-12 refrigerant) and leaves us with a bunch of cars that can't ever be started.

I'm not worried about oil shortages, but lithium primary batteries may be another story!

Ca'mon now guys - no battery hording
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
MA78
TK-421
MA78's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I just hope that someone doesn't decide that lithium disc batteries are bad for the environment (as the US government has done for mercury and some silver oxide batteries and R-12 refrigerant) and leaves us with a bunch of cars that can't ever be started.

I'm not worried about oil shortages, but lithium primary batteries may be another story!

Ca'mon now guys - no battery hording

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
wagsoja
Private
1
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I just hope that someone doesn't decide that lithium disc batteries are bad for the environment (as the US government has done for mercury and some silver oxide batteries and R-12 refrigerant) and leaves us with a bunch of cars that can't ever be started.

I'm not worried about oil shortages, but lithium primary batteries may be another story!

Ca'mon now guys - no battery hording
I used to work in a research lab on Li battery systems, and they are no longer a safety or environmental concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24
Rep
1,876
Posts

 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Li batteries are now biodegradable like my breakfast banana peel?

Not buying . . .
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
wagsoja
Private
1
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

Ive never heard that one, but when you hear lithium battery, the electrodes are not pure lithium. They used to be back in the old days (80s) but those where unsafe. The lithium is inserted into a matrix of usually carbon or some oxide such as vandadium oxide. The battery electrochemistry stays similar, but the safety is a whole lot better.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,041
Posts

 
Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: xxxx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsoja View Post
I used to work in a research lab on Li battery systems, and they are no longer a safety or environmental concern.
Whew! I was only being "half-serious", but I'll sleep better tonight!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
wagsoja
Private
1
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

haha, must be the scientist in me. Just wanted to put you at ease, atleast the half of you that was concerned.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
jaymk5's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Plymouth, MN, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsoja View Post
wow. thats awesome. when did that become standard? they don't really promote that fact anywhere. I was searching!
I am thinking bmw purposefully do not want to explicitly advertise this fact, since many including me and you, mistook that the start / stop button comes only when we buy comfort access package, first dealer that I talked to mentioned that it comes with the comfort access package, second dealer I talked to mentioned explicitly that it was standard, as well bluetooth is standard which was also not told very clearly. That is where this forum comes handy with a wealth of information. I trust our fellow bimmers in this website more than bmwna or dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
15
Rep
1,594
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

iTrader: (0)

Yep, I just found out the same thing today from my SA. About all Comfort Access gets you now is the ability to lock/unlock by touching the door handle. CA not much a big deal now.
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #17
flash3
Captain
17
Rep
653
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Yep, I just found out the same thing today from my SA. About all Comfort Access gets you now is the ability to lock/unlock by touching the door handle. CA not much a big deal now.
Yep, this forum is a great tool when it comes to learning about what the features really include.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #18
MA78
TK-421
MA78's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Yep, I just found out the same thing today from my SA. About all Comfort Access gets you now is the ability to lock/unlock by touching the door handle. CA not much a big deal now.
Yep, this forum is a great tool when it comes to learning about what the features really include.
Especially since most SAs are clueless.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Hawkshaw
Major
Hawkshaw's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,013
Posts

 
Drives: X3 xDrive28i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah, when I bought my e90 330i "comfort access" was an option - one of the few I didn't get, which means I have to perform the two step start method of inserting fob then pressing the start/stop button. Kind of silly if you ask me. Glad they got it right on the X3.
__________________
Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
sfax's Avatar
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,853
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
A wealth of information as always!
I'm still trying to think of something really complicated that Lotus won't know the answer to......
__________________

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
MA78
TK-421
MA78's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
A wealth of information as always!
I'm still trying to think of something really complicated that Lotus won't know the answer to......
I know. He's like a BMW Rain Man.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
8
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to roders
Comfort Access is different to Keyless start.....
Comfort Access options allows you to lock and unlock the doors just by touching the handle. You do not need to use the key to lock/unlock the doors.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST