BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X3 Forums | F25 (2011 - Current) > Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum » Solid Jet black vs metallic black durability

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
inamik75
Major
No_Country
49

 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 Melbourne Red Xline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www


Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (0)

Solid Jet black vs metallic black durability

Hi all anyone with experience in maintenance of the 2 especially scratches, fading, effects of the sun and other stains.

Last edited by inamik75; 02-04-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
4

 
acove's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi & 2011 X3 2.8i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Mettalic would hide the scratches a little better than the Jet Black, that's for sure. I think Jet Black is nicer but easily scratched.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
32

 
BIMMER UK 76's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom


Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acove View Post
Mettalic would hide the scratches a little better than the Jet Black, that's for sure. I think Jet Black is nicer but easily scratched.
Spot on

My solid black E60 looked magnificent when new but have chosen metallic black for X3
__________________

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
inamik75
Major
No_Country
49

 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 Melbourne Red Xline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www


Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acove View Post
Mettalic would hide the scratches a little better than the Jet Black, that's for sure. I think Jet Black is nicer but easily scratched.
Ok but I hear its much easier to buff out the scratches than on metallic and easiier to maintain overall
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
1

 
ShinySteelRobot's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 650i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greater Seattle area, WA, USA


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Hi all anyone with experience in maintenance of the 2 especially scratches, fading, effects of the sun and other stains.
I have noticed that the metallic black seems to show less swirling. If you get the Jet Black, be sure to hand wash it carefully with clean rags and dump the water and switch to new rags between the wash and rinse cycle (so you don't grind dust back into your paint as you rinse). Otherwise you WILL get swirling over time.

So far I haven't noticed any effects from the sun. Here in the Northwest we have a lot of big trees, and therefore a lot of tree sap and bird poo winds up on your car. BMW paint seems more resistant to staining due to sap and bird poo than my wife's VW (although it could be because I always wash off bird poo and sap immediately and my wife is more laissez-faire about it ).
__________________
2006 650i Coupe ED 11/2005, re-delivered 2/2006 -- Jet Black paint | Dakota black leather+Ruthenium | 6-speed MT | Sport package | Premium sound | Cold weather package | HUD | Sirius radio | Upgraded to M6 wheels | 35% window tint | 3M protection film
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
inamik75
Major
No_Country
49

 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 Melbourne Red Xline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www


Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
I have noticed that the metallic black seems to show less swirling. If you get the Jet Black, be sure to hand wash it carefully with clean rags and dump the water and switch to new rags between the wash and rinse cycle (so you don't grind dust back into your paint as you rinse). Otherwise you WILL get swirling over time.

So far I haven't noticed any effects from the sun. Here in the Northwest we have a lot of big trees, and therefore a lot of tree sap and bird poo winds up on your car. BMW paint seems more resistant to staining due to sap and bird poo than my wife's VW (although it could be because I always wash off bird poo and sap immediately and my wife is more laissez-faire about it ).
Do u have supa gard ie the film put on body paint to protect iit?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
30

 
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia


Posts: 1,876
iTrader: (0)

Loved my Jet Black in general. Looked good even when a bit dirty. Looked spectacular (IMHO) when cleaned, sealed, and polished BUT the swirls marks were a bear. Standing back a bit, or looking at it from another car, you don't see them, but when you're washing it, grabbing the door, standing next to it, you do. I'm better with that stuff disguised from me with a more amenable color so I don't stress out about it. Depends on the person, I'd say. As said above, if you have the Jet Black make sure to select and manage your washing/drying/polishing clothes VERY carefully and be very cautious about allowing anyone (or anything) else wash it. Folks tell me the metallic hides the swirls. Never noticed fading or anything like that. With the clear coat and a good polish or wax with UV protection, that seems unlikely to me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
1

 
ShinySteelRobot's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 650i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greater Seattle area, WA, USA


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Do u have supa gard ie the film put on body paint to protect iit?
Yes, I have 3M film (there are lots of different film vendors) but only on the front bumper, side mirrors, headlights, and part of the hood. BTW I highly recommend the paint protection film, that stuff is super durable and almost invisible. It has saved my paint from many a rock chip (I can see pits in the film that would have been pits in the paint without the film).
__________________
2006 650i Coupe ED 11/2005, re-delivered 2/2006 -- Jet Black paint | Dakota black leather+Ruthenium | 6-speed MT | Sport package | Premium sound | Cold weather package | HUD | Sirius radio | Upgraded to M6 wheels | 35% window tint | 3M protection film
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST