BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Exclamation BMW X4 Concept Coming! X3 M, X3 35is, X3 Active Hybrid Coming.

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW X4 Concept Coming! X3 M, X3 35is, X3 Active Hybrid Coming.
COMMENTS

Apparently a marketing presentation with the project leader for the F25 X3 took place today, and so it happens that I just got a hint on interesting new models BMW is evaluating to possibly expand the X3 lineup.

First, there's the new X4, of which there is already a design which is described as very sporty - a bit sleeker than the X6 and adds a trunk similar to the GT allowing its concept idea as a Sport Activity Sedan. It takes some design cues from the new X3 but reverses them - for example that character line on the X3 is reversed on the X4 by having the line shoot upwards to the A-Pillar instead of downwards to the wheel arch (per Scott26). The guys at BMW really seem to be fond of this car, so the X4 has been scheduled to be presented as a concept car sometime next year. Expect the production version to be launched in late 2013 or early 2014.

On top of that, BMW is also working on the X3 Active Hybrid, X3 xDrive35is and the X3 M. All are in their mature phases of development already. The X3 xDrive35is and X3M bodyshells will be shipped from Spartanburg to Munich where they will build evaluation models of the proposed strategy (per Scott26).

Besides, there are two more engines coming for the X3. It appears that BMW is preparing a new diesel engine and a new petrol engine, both to make the X3 accessible to a broader customer pool. No word if these engines will be available in the US, though.

In other news, X6 sales have now passed 100,000 units. Needless to say that this is quite a success.

Rendering of BMW X4:

More info from Scott26:
Quote:
The X4 will be engineered to match how the X6 is very different to drive from the X5, now that the X6 is established (original projections for the X6 at this time period were at 40,000 units , we have almost surpassed three times that amount. But we have discovered an opening for a smaller Sport Activity Coupe.

One thing learned about the X6 though is that customers would prefer a more seperate identity than the X5. X4 and X6 will introduce this new approach although undeneath they will still be based on the X3 and X5 respectively.

New design details established on the X1 and the new X3 such as sculpted surfaces and higher rear window line will move to the X5 and X6 also new to the X5 will be T-Shaped rear lights from the X3 as they move to give X vehicles typical X characteristics and visually seperate them from the road car portfolio.

X4, X5 and X6 will build upon BMW's latest design philosophy in which wheelarches are defined by making them more three-dimensional , instead of building them out by adding more technicality and un-needed lines. The X5 for example uses the same but a more dramatic angle "slash" through the front doors from the wings , ahead of this the front quarter of the car is more pronounced expanding the width of the car and especially the wheel arches , a similar line at the rear does the same expanding the rear wheel arches. This is important for the interior in which space is increased and suspension mountings are pushed out without compromising interior space. X4 will do something similar but it will keep a bloodline with the X3 although the front and rear will be seperate designs.

Although you dont like it but X sales in X1, X3(E83), X5 (E53),(E70) and X6 have been highly profitable for BMW. Advance orders for Europe are sold out until spring on the new F25 X3 , The X1 continues to surpass it's projections and next year the M-Sport Packet will help further sales with the X1 , X6 receives it's Life Cycle Impulse,, on the back of high sales whilst the LCI X5 has proved to be the best selling SAV of it's segment. MINI Countryman in parts of europe is sold out until April 2011.

As for a smaller Sport Activity Coupe based on the X1? It is under consideration but could form part of the Lifestyle orientated "Y" Concept under development which takes the essence of the original X Coupe concept mixing a Z with an X although exclusively with 2drs.

The "Y" also has scope for expansion especially with a 2dr shooting brake type car and maybe an open air X vehicle. Interesting enough is that although it is labeled "Y" because of the proximity to "X" and "Z". Discussion has ranged on calling the car "K" due to the "half "X" in which the Y is a Z vehicle fused with an X vehicle - half and half.

For the time being though MINI will extend it's Countryman with a more sporting Activity Coupe which looks as if it will arrive in both 2dr and 4dr with double rear-hinged doors to add to it's uniqueness. The MINI will be aimed at the Range Rover Evoq with the intent to match it's style but not at the same price. This picture especially from the front doors back to the rear is an indication of how the car is progressing , the concepts and ideas are similar, especially the roof line.

MINI Activity Coupe , BMW X4 and the "Y" project are all projects of BMW's strategy aimed at the growing Compact and Premium entry segments which are heading for increased growth.

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Nice I'd love to see an x 3m
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

The X6 grew on me, and this looks great. It'll probably come with a lower sticker price too with a turbo motor. I like it a lot!

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Lastcombo
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 730D

Hmm looks like familiar car from the another car manufactor in Germany,if this is the way the guys in Munchen are heading,i hope they don't f... the new seven series
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Man I love that X4 idea. Perfect garage mate.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

i love the x6, i would very much consider this!

i love that the x6 is so different
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Can we change that render of the Ford Kuga mixed with BMW X6?
Visually it is awful.

How about this More accurate outline?...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Nice, now when do we get an X2?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

wtf....

SUV/SAV/whatever overload imo.
      10-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
It's on the drawing board but first you will see a MINI branded Sport Activity Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
jonsibal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: widebody hooptie

I didn't realize that the X3M have been confirmed. When's the eta on this?
      10-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
mike5411
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW... Yet

There are starting to be too many models in my opinion.

1 Series with 5 different models including the 1 ///M

3 Series with 18 different 3 series I can pick some before I even have to think about options.

5 Series with 9 different models including the GT and 10 if you want to count the future M5.

The soon to released 6 series with 6 different models.

7 Series with 10 different models.

the x3 with currently only one model but with three additional new models in the pipline.

the x5 with 5 different models.

the x6 with 3 different models.

the Z4 with 3 different models.

Then there is the new x4 with 1-3 new models.

There is also the x1 which they are planning on bringing to the US with 1-3 more models.

There is also the rumored z2, the FWD models that BMW will introduce in the US and the VED with two confirmed models.

So to sum it up if I went to my local BMW dealer to buy a new BMW, I would have over 70 models to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5411 View Post

So to sum it up if I went to my local BMW dealer to buy a new BMW, I would have over 70 models to choose from.
Well, but its a bit of a stretch to consider each different trim package a seperate model in my opinion. I understand what you are saying, but for example, what is a 335i really, other than a 328i with the optional engine? It's only because of the way BMW names their products that they become seperate models.

When talking about truly different models, there are really only:

1 series
3 series
5 series
6 series
7 series

Z4

X1
X3
X5
X6

Granted, the X4, X2 (thanks for the reply on that, SCOTT!), Z2, will likely be added soon. And its true that the passenger car models comprise multiple body styles. But I still don't see a big issue here. Plenty of other manufacturers have large lineups and almost no one is discontinuing model lines. Instead, the big push in the industry is to create more specialized vehicles which meet the exacting needs of an ever more discerning consumer. BMW is only trying to stay ahead of the curve. I agree that there has been some suspicious overlap of late, such as with the 550xi GT and X6 50xi for example. But, for the most part each different model listed above offers its own distinct size, cargo space, utility, performance, seating, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:

. . . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it fair to call all of those different "models"? It seems to me that many (almost all?) are simply different powerplants.
      10-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #16
mike5411
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it fair to call all of those different "models"? It seems to me that many (almost all?) are simply different powerplants.
Yes and no...

It's unfair since they're just different engines. But think about this. That is almost like saying the 328i and M3 are both 3 series, with rear wheel drive and an available manual. We all know that there is so much more to it than just that.

But, on the contrary, it is fair to say that since if you walk into the BMW dealership wanting a 335i and they only have a 328i, it would be fair to say that that BMW dealership does not have the model you want and it would most likely cost them a sale. (assuming you want are set on the 335i and not a 328i)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I want to see a Z2 first.
      10-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
.....and an X1M, and a X7, and X7M, and a 0 series, and X0, X0M.......oh, and can we get a pick-up version of the X3 and get that in an ///M variant as well?

What about hair dryers, can we get one of those as well?

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

good news!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

So BM is thinking just about everything... X2, X3M, Z2, VED, X4, Z4M... But no word on any supercar. Hey SCOTT are we having a supercar (not talking about the VED)?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

x3 M please!

Build as many models as your heart desires, I realize (unlike some) that as the population grows more and more diverse, their needs and desires in their vehicles also grows just as diverse...

Car manufacturers that have recognized this and are putting into motion the ability to manufacture multiple "niche" vehicle segments will continue to grow their market share in the future...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 10-13-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #22
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Don't forget the MegaCity X-Drive11si Active-Hybrid

Quote:

1 Series with 5 different models including the 1 ///M

3 Series with 18 different 3 series I can pick some before I even have to think about options.

5 Series with 9 different models including the GT and 10 if you want to count the future M5.

The soon to released 6 series with 6 different models.

7 Series with 10 different models.

the x3 with currently only one model but with three additional new models in the pipline.

the x5 with 5 different models.

the x6 with 3 different models.

the Z4 with 3 different models.

Then there is the new x4 with 1-3 new models.

There is also the x1 which they are planning on bringing to the US with 1-3 more models.

There is also the rumored z2, the FWD models that BMW will introduce in the US and the VED with two confirmed models.

Appreciate 0