BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Clunk in reverse

I have seen another thread on something like this but no detail except that apparently there are loads of other threads ... Which I can't find.

I have noticed that when parking in reverse at full lock moving off slowly that sometimes there is a really rough clunk and jarring ...

First couple of times I thought I had clipped the car in front when reversing in ... However this is not the case.

I have struggled to reproduce it on demand, but for sure, sometimes when reversing into a parking space, typically on full lock, slowly, possibly from stand still, the car gives out a clunk and jars as if it haddock clipped something.

And no, I am not driving with auto hold on ...

Is there anything concrete on this subject I should be reading?

Other than that, the car is fantastic!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

There was a thread on this where we had posted opinions, you can do a search, but I have the same clunk like many others do. I believe it is the brake pads moving slightly in their calipers-not sure front or rear but noise coming from rear I guess- , and dealer had confirmed that too . Nothing annoying or frequent for me and it's been doing it for 45,000 kms now apparently with no harm mechanically. Rears were replaced at 25,000 km , clunk persists. Fronts due on next service in 5,000 kms.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
mihai_arahidu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Same problem here, did you solved the problem, thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:14 AM   #4
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai_arahidu View Post
Same problem here, did you solved the problem, thank you
Happened to me like maybe 2 times in one year and a half, mechanical inspection revealed absolutely nothing wrong (arms, bushings, engine mounts, transmission mount, etc. all ok).

Only in reverse, and only on full steer to the right. Very strange. Also can't be reproduced on demand.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Happened to me. I went ahead and cleared adaptations and while it did help, there was a smidge of it left. Checked the transmission filter pan and turns out there was a leak. I bought the service kit for the tranny and after the service, the transmission feels the same as new.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 05:27 PM   #6
martinisounds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 X3 M Sport

I recently had this problem and the shop found that my inner tie rod ends had worn.
Appreciate 0