BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2024, 11:36 AM   #1
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I finally figured out the right things to lubricate to eliminate the sunroof Creek when you go over uneven surfaces. It's basically the connection point where the movable portion of the sunroof meets with the static glass in the rear. That whole line has three surfaces that come together. There is an inner soft seal, the ceiling point that is on the movable glass, and the harder ceiling point that is on the fixed glass. I purchased a tube of this German Lube that is specifically for sunroofs and it works great. It was fairly cheap on Amazon as well. I've added pictures that point out the areas that will get rid of the creek.
I applied the grease using my finger and spread enough to where it wasn't gobbed up but was still visible. If you spread it too thin it becomes translucent. I'm sure this will have to be a reapplied in time which is typical with lubricants for seals but it does eliminate the noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Burr0013383.00
Plimmie94.50
abbike18717.50
      05-04-2024, 11:51 AM   #2
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Most people who also installed a chassis brace also eliminated the noise due to chassis flex fyi. Using lube will eliminate noise but not the actual movement when going over uneven roads.
Appreciate 2
Keefy1654.00
abbike18717.50
      05-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #3
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Most people who also installed a chassis brace also eliminated the noise due to chassis flex fyi. Using lube will eliminate noise but not the actual movement when going over uneven roads.
What chassis brace?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 10:41 PM   #4
JonasM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
What chassis brace?
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950959&page=3

Scroll down the site.

Installed it yesterday. The guys listed the needed parts and described the indtallation process perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 12:25 AM   #5
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Quote:
I finally figured out the right things to lubricate to eliminate the sunroof Creek when you go over uneven surfaces. It's basically the connection point where the movable portion of the sunroof meets with the static glass in the rear. That whole line has three surfaces that come together. There is an inner soft seal, the ceiling point that is on the movable glass, and the harder ceiling point that is on the fixed glass. I purchased a tube of this German Lube that is specifically for sunroofs and it works great. It was fairly cheap on Amazon as well. I've added pictures that point out the areas that will get rid of the creek.
I applied the grease using my finger and spread enough to where it wasn't gobbed up but was still visible. If you spread it too thin it becomes translucent. I'm sure this will have to be a reapplied in time which is typical with lubricants for seals but it does eliminate the noise.
Very cool. But I wonder if that is the right grease to use as it is labeled for the rails? In any case it looks like you bought the last unit as it is now unavailable at Amazon.

I had a tremendous amount of noise from those same contact points when my car was brand new and the Sonax GummiPfleger worked for me. It took two applications. I’m always interested to see what people use. People swear by all kinds of products:
  • Shin Etsu (special Honda grease)
  • GummiPfleger (several brands)
  • Silicone lube
  • Carbaflo KSP 105
  • Krytox GPL 105

But lately what I have been experimenting with is to just clean it with a mild dilution of soapy water. Just a spray bottle with a few drops of dish soap, and an old rag. So far it’s working.

But I have the tube of Shin Etsu ready to go for my next experiment if the noise recurs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 10:15 AM   #6
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasM40i View Post
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950959&page=3

Scroll down the site.

Installed it yesterday. The guys listed the needed parts and described the indtallation process perfectly.
It definitely helps a lot. Used to creak every time I pulled out of my driveway before the chassis brace. Now that I have the brace, I do still get a creak out of the sunroof every once in a while, maybe 1 out of 10 times. (my driveway has a dropoff to the street, so I regularly flex the chassis pretty hard when I pull out of the driveway). I think it has to do when the moisture content is just right...anyways I'll prob do this too.
      05-05-2024, 10:21 AM   #7
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
It definitely helps a lot. Used to creak every time I pulled out of my driveway. But I do still get a creak out of the sunroof every once in a while, maybe 1 out of 10 times. (my driveway has a dropoff to the street, so I regularly flex the chassis pretty hard when I pull out of the driveway). I think it has to do when the moisture content is just right...anyways I'll prob do this too.
I have the same type of driveway. The grease comes out kind of like a lithium grease texture and white but as you apply it it becomes translucent.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 10:23 AM   #8
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the same type of driveway. The grease comes out kind of like a lithium grease texture and white but as you apply it it becomes translucent.
I was going to try dry silicon lube. Will let everyone know how it works.
      05-05-2024, 10:30 AM   #9
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Krytox oil or grease is used by many roof system OEM’s. Only a tiny qty is needed.

Guide what to use and where - https://www.krytox.com/ja/-/media/fi...2569eb61f0b44a
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #10
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbike18 View Post
I was going to try dry silicon lube. Will let everyone know how it works.
I can save you some time with that. I tried dry silicone spray and it does not last a week. It's too thin and viscous. If you go with silicone I would suggest getting a tube of silicone gel. It's clear and goes on thick but typically in the heat it doesn't hold up well and dissipates.
Appreciate 1
abbike18717.50
      05-05-2024, 12:20 PM   #11
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Not got a rubber/seal creak, but mine has a metallic noise when open full. I can only imagine some bolt needs tightening but in order to locate any bolts (other than the ones I can see) does anyone have access to that TIS-WIS thing that has the exploded diagrram that might help me locate as many as possible (I'm not in favour of hunting under the lining by taking it off :-).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:57 AM   #12
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For a real quick and dirty fix...there was a pile of grease in the front of the sliders from years of operation. Some of it was pretty clean. I just took some of that and spread it on the back seal of the glass! Probably best to get some new, and I've got some on the way to grease up the entire thing, but if you are out and about and it's driving you nuts you can do this. Just beware - it's very sticky grease so you'll need to clean your finger pretty well.
dinan5m34371.00