BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2024, 07:24 AM   #1
internalaudit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 8.5 gen Accord

Question A few newbie questions - will be purchasing a 2023 CPO M40i soon

Hi everyone, we were curiously anticipating the reveal of the 2025 G45 X3 as we shopped around for used M40is over the past two months.

Found a 2023 CPO ($14,000 USD lower than buying new, if allocation is even available for the 2024s) with majority of the features we wanted yesterday morning. I think the only features we would have wanted that were lacking are ventilated front seats and heated rear seats (four in the family but not a deal breaker), which would require the Vernasca leather add-on.

Also, seeing how many automakers are doing the same elongated display (Hyundai Sonata for one), I think the LCI or pre-LCI X3 instrument/dash layouts are more aesthetic/pleasing to the eye and looks classier. Definitely there will be no regret for us buying second to the last production model year versus buying the first production model with new suspension, steering system, and improved ADAS, which we probably won't care much about, except for the adaptive cruise control.

It's a pretty loaded build, and includes what I wanted - M Sport Differential (torque vectoring) as it will be useful during the winter months here in Canada.
  1. For our vehicles with the 48V mild hybrid battery system, does it even make sense to defeat the stop/go function? I think from 2022 MY onwards, BMW iDrive 7 (SP18) has put a stop to easy/inexpensive coding by owners? Is there still a way to shut off stop/go right from the get go or do we have to shut it off after every start up? I read somewhere that BMW purposely built a 30-hour cool down mechanism so that the engine doesn't have to endure too much expansion and contraction.
  2. Anyone used Code My Bimmer (or similar services) before and typically what would be the coding for? https://www.codemybimmer.ca/
  3. Can we really configure these individually as a custom setting, saw this post on reddit -- "Sport Ind with Steering C, Engine S+, trans S and suspension C." I may have to set a customized drive setting for my wife to be permanently on unless she choses to override it.
  4. Do we really need to let the car sit for 20-30 seconds for the turbo charger to cool down if the car is not driven hard? Saw the advice from Automotive Press' latest YT video:

At the 19 minute mark: "you want to take it easy and give engine as much chance as possible to have a long long life again for non turbocharger engine it's not as big deal but still if you're driving really hard or especially if it's a cold uh winter or something you want to let the engine just settle down for 20 30 seconds and then"
  5. Would 89 Octane do (no pre-knocking) or will it have to be premium gasoline?

Will definitely inquire whether dealership servicing will be required to keep the BMW factory extended warranty in force. Of course policies here in Canada could be different from those in the States.

Thanks everyone and my wife will surely enjoy her new ride.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1223.50
      05-03-2024, 08:04 AM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

1. For me yes because I think it's annoying... I coded my car to start in sport individual with it off.
2. Use bimmercode with a wired cable... easy and will get everything done.
3. Yes... sport individual will save your settings but car will always start in comfort, so you will need to either switch it on start up every time or code it to start in sport individual permanently.
4. What is this 1995? Gonna go with a no there.
5. 93 only... this is not debatable.
      05-03-2024, 09:07 AM   #3
internalaudit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 8.5 gen Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
2. Use bimmercode with a wired cable... easy and will get everything done.
Thanks so much for your help and you made me lol on your response WRT #4.

I see you also have a 2023 M40i, so we are still good I suppose with coding? Maybe it was the X5 LCI that put an end to that and I just got things mixed up.

For #2, so basically I pay for this app? Wondering if iOS or Android or Windows (We have all three devices) paid version is better and if that is a one-time fee or recurring annually.

https://bimmercode.app/adapters/

And which wired cable would you suggest?

ENET cable and Ethernet adapter
OBDLINK EX
OBDLink SX
DCAN USB cable
Appreciate 1
ASAP10256.50
      05-03-2024, 09:52 AM   #4
Spacecoast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post

I see you also have a 2023 M40i, so we are still good I suppose with coding? Maybe it was the X5 LCI that put an end to that and I just got things mixed up.

For #2, so basically I pay for this app? Wondering if iOS or Android or Windows (We have all three devices) paid version is better and if that is a one-time fee or recurring annually.

OBDLINK EX
OBDLink SX
DCAN USB cable
Ethernet to OBD cable like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Inte...=A95M3D0UIXRR4

And the appropriate Ethernet to phone adapter to match your phone's interface, like this one for the new iPhones: https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adap...1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-03-2024 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
ASAP10256.50
      05-03-2024, 02:21 PM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post

OBDLINK EX
OBDLink SX
DCAN USB cable
exactly like Spacecoast said... i think it's a one time fee.. back in the day it was like $30... you can do the wireless dongle instead but it's slower and less reliable... i have both and wired is 6 times better