BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Coding your 2018 X3

Hi again guys n girls, I purchased the BimmerCode app (iPhone version) and the wireless OBD module when I had the 335i and used it very successfully in that vehicle (far easier than Windows software on a Mac laptop and cabled OBD interface).

After checking with the developer a week or so ago, I bit the bullet and coded the following on my new X3 downunder:
  • Turn off legal disclaimer (mandatory here in Oz, anyway),
    Turn off volume adjustment slider/popup,
    Change startup animationt to M series

The developer tells me he is working on updating more options, including ASS choices (which is really the only other one that I’m hanging out for), but there are a lot of modules currently not recognised in this vehicle, so I think there’s a lot of potential.

Thought there may be some interest.
      12-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

What's ASS?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
What's ASS?

Aside from an unfortunate acronym, Auto Start Stop. People like to code it to disable.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

I’ve susbscribed to this thread.
I’m looking forward to toggling the ASS, and making other little config changes as necessary. Hopefully this will be a long lived thread with cool discoveries. ��

What’s a good wireless odb2 unit? How much do they cost?
It it better to have one that’s Bluetooth or wifi?
I’m assuming Bluetooth, cause it allows phone app to be connected to odb2 and internet (via wifi) at the same time.

Last edited by cvee; 12-29-2017 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
I’ve susbscribed to this thread.
I’m looking forward to toggling the ASS, and making other little config changes as necessary. Hopefully this will be a long lived thread with cool discoveries. ��

What’s a good wireless odb2 unit? How much do they cost?
It it better to have one that’s Bluetooth or wifi?
I’m assuming Bluetooth, cause it allows phone app to be connected to odb2 and internet (via wifi) at the same time.
From what I’ve seen the WiFi ones are for iPhone and Bluetooth ones are for android. Not sure why they do it that way since both are obviously capable of both, just the way the software is coded. I think CoreBluetooth libraries were locked down or required an extra license up until around 2014-15 on iPhone so it may just be an artifact of old development.

Both BimmerCode and Carly websites will point you to their preferred units. I got a vGate WiFi one and used it with BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
From what I’ve seen the WiFi ones are for iPhone and Bluetooth ones are for android. Not sure why they do it that way since both are obviously capable of both, just the way the software is coded. I think CoreBluetooth libraries were locked down or required an extra license up until around 2014-15 on iPhone so it may just be an artifact of old development.

Both BimmerCode and Carly websites will point you to their preferred units. I got a vGate WiFi one and used it with BimmerCode.
Oh yeah... that does ring a bell. iPhone Bluetooth stack is more restrictive.
My next question WAS going to be... can the device be used across different apps.
Bimmercode recommends :-
https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Scanner...SIN=B06XGB4QL7

Would this work with Carly app?

This vgate unit looks like it has a power switch?
https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Diagnos...ZWCHZGVVNX06F7

What does the pro unit really give you.
I assume if it conforms to odb2 standards they should all work similarly except for software hard coded to work only with a vendors hardware.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I’m not sure if the vGate works with Carly, they seem to sell their own OBD adapters.

The link from the adapter to the OBD on the car adheres to a standard, the question is in what communication protocol is going on between the phone and the adapter. That relay could be non standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #8
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

I use an iOS app called ODB Fusion that works great with a Bluetooth LE adapter so iOS should be ok with using BT in general
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Yeah I’ve written a few iOS apps using Core Bluetooth with iPhone. It should be possible to write a coding app using Bluetooth. For some reason the BimmerCode and Carly apps for iOS don’t use Bluetooth, perhaps they just predate the opening up of the BT libraries on iOS. There may be other apps that work.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I’ve written a few iOS apps using Core Bluetooth with iPhone. It should be possible to write a coding app using Bluetooth. For some reason the BimmerCode and Carly apps for iOS don’t use Bluetooth, perhaps they just predate the opening up of the BT libraries on iOS. There may be other apps that work.
Hello colleague Yeah could be they have some legacy iOS code that uses WiFi
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #11
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Hello colleague Yeah could be they have some legacy iOS code that uses WiFi
Well, I don’t do it professionally, as with many things I just tinker.

At any rate, I suspect the WiFi/Bluetooth requirements of the different platforms might cause some confusion.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:

Wifi version Vgate2 or 3 is required for Android or IOS.

Though, as mentioned, functions are limited to ASD and HU.

If you want more options, E-sys is the way to go.

G01 shares ECU's with G12/G30 and there are multiple things that can be coded like NGHB, ASS/ASD off, default drive mode, and more.
Appreciate 1
SimonB163.50
      12-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #13
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Wifi version Vgate2 or 3 is required for Android or IOS.

Though, as mentioned, functions are limited to ASD and HU.

If you want more options, E-sys is the way to go.

G01 shares ECU's with G12/G30 and there are multiple things that can be coded like NGHB, ASS/ASD off, default drive mode, and more.
Esys is probably more than I need.
Out of Carly and Bimmercode which is better or at least more value for money?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
I went the Esys route initially and it was complicated to setup, as I had a Mac and had to run Windows and work out all the intricacies of that and the Esys confit, plus get a token etc. that was 4 years ago though, so things may be a bit easier now.

Anyway, with Bimmercode, it couldn’t be easier. We just need to be a bit patient and wait for some updates from the dev, who’s been very responsive to me.
      12-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 M50i

Nice, I'm going to give it a shot. The disclaimer is really annoying - I'm ordering a Vgate OBD on Amazon for delivery tomorrow. I'll give it a shot and report back.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
E-sys is free. Carly and Bimmercode you must buy; plus it can corrupt ECU's without a means to fix. It really depends on what you are interested in coding.

I have only ever used E-sys.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I don't know if it's true, but I was told that those with WiFi-HotSpot, run the risk of the car actually notifying BMW if it's been coded. Again I don't know how true this is, but the person that told me has been coding for years.
      12-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
No, E-sys is not easier now, probably the same or maybe harder depending on where you live since it seems impossible to get tokens at the moment.

You need a US version of Windows (NOT in a virtual machine), need to look around on shady websites for links to the E-sys software, the license bypass software (E-sys launcher), the coding data. Once you collect everything you can install and use it, but it isn’t the most straightforward software and depending on what you found and downloaded you may have things in German and/or entries that are just dots or codes.

I burned a few days trying to get set up because the software was asking for an activation code and asked me to email the developer to get it. Many forum posts over the last year indicated the developer was no longer responding, and I couldn’t get a response either. Eventually I found that the software was asking for a code because I was running it in a VM, it only works code free if you’re using a US version of Windows and are not in a VM.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I learned the ins and outs, but if you go the E-say route you want to do it because you’re truly interested in learning to code. If you don’t care and just want the settings, you’re probably better off with something like BimmerCode, Carly, or paying someone.

I believe there were four or five modules available via BimmerCode, I can check today and post back info.

I haven’t used Carly, but I read a review between the two and liked that BimmerCode has an “expert mode” that lets you see more of the raw settings available, and BimmerCode is much less expensive so it’s an easy trial buy, if it doesn’t work you’re not out much.

Last edited by sor; 12-30-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
SimonB163.50
      12-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
E-sys is free. Carly and Bimmercode you must buy; plus it can corrupt ECU's without a means to fix. It really depends on what you are interested in coding.

I have only ever used E-sys.
When you say “it can corrupt”, you mean there’s a known problem with the software? Or just that the functionality isn’t there to fix it *if* something went wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
When you say “it can corrupt”, you mean there’s a known problem with the software? Or just that the functionality isn’t there to fix it *if* something went wrong?
It is not common, but have seen enough threads where ECU's either lose FSC's and you must pay for repair kit or corrupt ECU's with only fix is to use E-sys.

Bimmercode: $20 adapter + $35 program + $35 program
E-sys: $20 adapter + free program with more functionality.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #21
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
I've had one instance of an ACSM unit requiring a dealer replacement under warranty shortly after coding with E-Sys (malfunction error appeared a day after coding and could not be cleared - it would reappear after a day or two). Whether that was coincidental or not we'll never know, but the timing was curious. That is a fairly rare event, and if you're worried about a particular module, you can just opt not to code it.

There is some risk to coding, but I would describe it as very low, and I would not personally be concerned about it.

BTW - Almaretto can code '18 G01 X3's and can do it remotely as well if you're not in the Los Angeles area. He is one of the few people I would trust to code any BMW without hesitation. He also got NGHB's (no-dazzle high beams) working on my X3, and they work very well.

Last edited by TonySCV; 12-30-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
Almaretto2374.00
CruzM3284.00
      12-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The BimmerCode app currently recognizes the following modules/ECUs:
  • active sound design (ASD_01)