BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X4 Forums | F26 (2014 - Current) > BMW X4 General Forum » X4 and playing media

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Jypsie
Private
 
Jypsie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1 X3 X4 on order
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belgium

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

X4 and playing media

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Does anybody has any experience with the media possibilities of the X4 (or I guess the new X3)?

I know you can play music (with artwork) from your iPhone. Tested that during a test drive… Worked nicely!

I also know you can use the internal 20G disk and you have an USB port. Additional question: Can an external USB disk be used via the USB port (I have a 150G in my drawer)?

How do you put the media on your 20G disk or USB? You just copy your
iTunes Music library, or is there some formatting to be respected. Will it be able to show the artwork?

Still waiting for my car, so I can not test, but I can maybe already prepare my music to be played….


Jypsie is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
inamik75
Captain
 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 on order
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Bump would be interested to hear
inamik75 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Jypsie
Private
 
Jypsie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1 X3 X4 on order
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belgium

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Well, here is the situation, now that I have my car (2 days now), I can experience it myself! Have Sat Nav Prof, HK sound, iPhone 4.

Using Bluetooth, all works nice (artwork, playlists etc), EXCEPT that from time to time the BT seems to have some hick ups. Anybody any idea? Have tried re-pairing etc no difference, seems like something is disturbing it....

When putting all music on USB, internal disk or external disk, sound is perfect, artwork etc too, but I have no idea how to get my playlists to work... Who knows?
Jypsie is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Jypsie
Private
 
Jypsie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1 X3 X4 on order
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belgium

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Got the playlists sorted out.

Anybody with a new X4 and an iPhone 4 has BT hick ups when playing media?
Jypsie is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
inamik75
Captain
 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 on order
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

Posts: 873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
Got the playlists sorted out.

Anybody with a new X4 and an iPhone 4 has BT hick ups when playing media?
Post in X3 forum sure to get experienced folk there, we are all new here
inamik75 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
YMB_M3_j2
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Ordered - 2015 YMB M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 484
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
Got the playlists sorted out.

Anybody with a new X4 and an iPhone 4 has BT hick ups when playing media?
How did you get the playlists to work?
__________________
On Order - F80 - Yas Marina Blue - 6MT - 19" Black - CF Roof - Executive - Black Full Leather - LED Lighting - Drivers Asst Plus - HK - Adaptive Suspension - Rear Sunshade
YMB_M3_j2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Sarsippius3rd
Enlisted Member
 
Sarsippius3rd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie
Got the playlists sorted out.

Anybody with a new X4 and an iPhone 4 has BT hick ups when playing media?
I saw your question on the X3 forum about getting messages off your iPhone 4. Office function on the bmw is very limited. But I got messages to work on my iPhone 5. To do that in settings/notifications, enable alerts to show on lock screen. Then in Bluetooth settings, choose your car and press info and show notifications tab. This should work. Office will only show messages that come up when you are driving. It will not show older messages. Hope this helps. My Bluetooth music hiccups as well. I fixed that by getting the cradle for the iPhone and just plug it in.
Sarsippius3rd is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Jypsie
Private
 
Jypsie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1 X3 X4 on order
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belgium

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
I saw your question on the X3 forum about getting messages off your iPhone 4. Office function on the bmw is very limited. But I got messages to work on my iPhone 5. To do that in settings/notifications, enable alerts to show on lock screen. Then in Bluetooth settings, choose your car and press info and show notifications tab. This should work. Office will only show messages that come up when you are driving. It will not show older messages. Hope this helps. My Bluetooth music hiccups as well. I fixed that by getting the cradle for the iPhone and just plug it in.
Thanks! Get the SMS's now in, be it limited as you mentioned but that is ok for me....works via BT and USB connection, but your phone has to be locked. If I play media via my phone, I also hear the SMS notification, not when on radio... I did not had "show notifications on" on BT.

Yes the hiccups are also solved if you use an Apple cable to USB as you don't use BT for music then (is similar to using the cradle).
Jypsie is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Jypsie
Private
 
Jypsie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1 X3 X4 on order
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belgium

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3_j2 View Post
How did you get the playlists to work?
If you play media from your iPhone (via BT or USB), playlists work, from your iPhone.

If you play your music from a USB stick or drive, you need to create the correct playlist files, and put them in the root of the disk or stick.

To do so make a TXT file with the correct path to your songs:

example: artist\album\song (no c:\\ or d:\\ or whatever). This path should correspond exactly to the music location you have to your music on the USB drive.

I have this in my playlist file (example, can be as log as you want):

Tina Turner\All The Best\02 Nutbush City Limits.mp3
AC-DC\Back in Black\01 Hells Bells.mp3
Bon Jovi\Crush\01 It 's My Life.mp3
Bap\Vun Drinne Noh Drusse\01 Kristallnaach.mp3
Bryan Adams\Reckless\06 Summer Of 69.mp3
Roxette\Joyride\01 Joyride.mp3
Bachman Turner Overdrive\Not Fragile\04 You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.mp3
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers\Anthology_ Through The Years\1-08 Refugee.mp3
Bruce Springsteen\Born To Run\05 Born To Run.mp3

Then save the file with extention m3u and select encoding ANSI (use "save s"). Save this playlists in the root of your USB drive. You now should have a playlist.m3u file, ANSI encoded on your USB device.

Et voila: working playlists. Depending on your music tagging, artwork will also be shown.

I use a 160G disk, next to the 20G I have in my X4, in the beginning it can take a while before the playlist become visible. hen you have all the music you want .....
Jypsie is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
YMB_M3_j2
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Ordered - 2015 YMB M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 484
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
If you play media from your iPhone (via BT or USB), playlists work, from your iPhone.

If you play your music from a USB stick or drive, you need to create the correct playlist files, and put them in the root of the disk or stick.

To do so make a TXT file with the correct path to your songs:

example: artist\album\song (no c:\\ or d:\\ or whatever). This path should correspond exactly to the music location you have to your music on the USB drive.

I have this in my playlist file (example, can be as log as you want):

Tina Turner\All The Best\02 Nutbush City Limits.mp3
AC-DC\Back in Black\01 Hells Bells.mp3
Bon Jovi\Crush\01 It 's My Life.mp3
Bap\Vun Drinne Noh Drusse\01 Kristallnaach.mp3
Bryan Adams\Reckless\06 Summer Of 69.mp3
Roxette\Joyride\01 Joyride.mp3
Bachman Turner Overdrive\Not Fragile\04 You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.mp3
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers\Anthology_ Through The Years\1-08 Refugee.mp3
Bruce Springsteen\Born To Run\05 Born To Run.mp3

Then save the file with extention m3u and select encoding ANSI (use "save s"). Save this playlists in the root of your USB drive. You now should have a playlist.m3u file, ANSI encoded on your USB device.

Et voila: working playlists. Depending on your music tagging, artwork will also be shown.

I use a 160G disk, next to the 20G I have in my X4, in the beginning it can take a while before the playlist become visible. hen you have all the music you want .....
fricken awesome!! i couldnt find anyone that had got this to work yet! You are the man!
__________________
On Order - F80 - Yas Marina Blue - 6MT - 19" Black - CF Roof - Executive - Black Full Leather - LED Lighting - Drivers Asst Plus - HK - Adaptive Suspension - Rear Sunshade
YMB_M3_j2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST