BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X4 Forums | F26 (2014 - Current) > BMW X4 General Forum » Got my X4 today and I have a question about the Cluster

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X3 and X4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Got my X4 today and I have a question about the Cluster

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Guys

I got my 2015 X4 3.5 M Sport today..

My Cluster has a screen thats smaller than the one in my 2015 X3.

The X4 Cluster Screen goes from the center then to the right.. The X3 screen is the whole bottom of the cluster and I expected the X4 to have at least the same Cluster..

I ordered the Nav Package in the X4 along with Premium and just about all the options you could order. Nothing said in the ordering system that I forfeited the nicer cluster.

I have 30 miles so far and Im in love but this cluster thing has me confused and thinking maybe they put the wrong cluster in the car ?

Is that possible ?

CRaig
Theatermax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
cSurf
Captain
 
cSurf's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 938
iTrader: (0)

Did you order either of the drivers assistance packages?
cSurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
plutnicki
Private
 
Drives: 2012 528 xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

I seem to recall on other models that the full "Technology Package" came with the "Instrument Cluster with extended contents". Perhaps the Navi option doesn't?

I know my wife's new, 2015 X3 came with the Tech package and has the cluster with a display that controls the bottom half of both the speedo and the tach. I test drove a 2015 X4 Msport with Tech package just last week and it also had the same cluster/display?

So maybe Tech package vs stand alone Navi option is the difference?
plutnicki is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Yocal
Private
 
Drives: X4 28i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

These are the differences by simply toggling the "Navigation system" option on bmwusa.com for the X4:

GIF animation 1.5 second/frame loop
Yocal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
inamik75
Captain
 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 on order
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

Posts: 878
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocal View Post
These are the differences by simply toggling the "Navigation system" option on bmwusa.com for the X4:

GIF animation 1.5 second/frame loop
The idrive is black and smaller, is it that different from the Nav option?
inamik75 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
MikeRR
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 435i F33
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

If you have Nav. Professional on both cars it should be the same screen. Please post some pics of both.
__________________
My Garage:435i F33 - Estoril Blue / black leather
Corvette C6 Z06 black / black // X1 25d M Sport - mineral white / cloth-alcantara black
MikeRR is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Rizz
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X5 BMW X4,
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Colorado

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Are you talking about the display screen or the instrument cluster?
The screen where you see navigation has a split screen option so you can display two things at once in the screen, but you probably know that from the X3. I wasn't offered a different cluster option when I built my 35i M sport.
Rizz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
inamik75
Captain
 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 on order
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

Posts: 878
iTrader: (0)

Sorry I meant idrive controller is smaller and black in the non Nav idrive. Is there any difference in functionality?
inamik75 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
MikeRR
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 435i F33
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

The iDrive without Sat Nav Prof. has no "touch" function.
__________________
My Garage:435i F33 - Estoril Blue / black leather
Corvette C6 Z06 black / black // X1 25d M Sport - mineral white / cloth-alcantara black
MikeRR is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Sarsippius3rd
Enlisted Member
 
Sarsippius3rd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75
Sorry I meant idrive controller is smaller and black in the non Nav idrive. Is there any difference in functionality?
The Idrive controller is bigger because it is also a touch pad. You can use it to navigate around in the maps. Or draw out letters.
Sarsippius3rd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
inamik75
Captain
 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 on order
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

Posts: 878
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
The Idrive controller is bigger because it is also a touch pad. You can use it to navigate around in the maps. Or draw out letters.
So non Nav has no touchpad?
inamik75 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Sarsippius3rd
Enlisted Member
 
Sarsippius3rd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Yes I think so. Non nav, no touch pad.
Sarsippius3rd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #13
inamik75
Captain
 
inamik75's Avatar
 
Drives: X4 on order
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Www

Posts: 878
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
Yes I think so. Non nav, no touch pad.
So sales person was not giving me hot air, thought all new I drives had touchpad.
inamik75 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
YMB_M3_j2
Lieutenant
 
Drives: YMB M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 498
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
So non Nav has no touchpad?
Correct... touchpad controllers are only on Nav equiped BMW's.
__________________
Picking up 10-25-14 - F82 - Yas Marina Blue - DCT - 19" Black - Executive - Black Full Leather - LED Lighting - Drivers Asst Plus - HK - Adaptive Suspension
YMB_M3_j2 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X3 and X4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Guys

I have the Nav option of course.. Its not the center console screen I am questioning its the Dash Cluster screen in and below the gauges speedo etc..

I see if you don't have Nav you get a different cluster but I have Nav and I don't have the cluster that is on the X4 at the dealer and also on the x4's that people on the forums have.

I have a screen but only occupies the right half of the cluster.

There is nothing in any of the documentation from BMW does it say that if you skip hud you lose the wide screen cluster.. This is a real problem as I expected the nicer cluster and they are going to need to address this.

Here is a pic of what I have.
Attached Images
 
Theatermax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Sarsippius3rd
Enlisted Member
 
Sarsippius3rd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

I think the difference is in whether or not you have the technology package. I believe it is addressed somehow in the owners manual. I know I saw it somewhere. Sorry that it was not what you expected.
Sarsippius3rd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2014, 02:21 AM   #17
TurboT
Private First Class
 
Drives: X4 30d
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
Guys

I have the Nav option of course.. Its not the center console screen I am questioning its the Dash Cluster screen in and below the gauges speedo etc..

I see if you don't have Nav you get a different cluster but I have Nav and I don't have the cluster that is on the X4 at the dealer and also on the x4's that people on the forums have.

I have a screen but only occupies the right half of the cluster.

There is nothing in any of the documentation from BMW does it say that if you skip hud you lose the wide screen cluster.. This is a real problem as I expected the nicer cluster and they are going to need to address this.

Here is a pic of what I have.
I have too only the right side digital like you have, even I dont have any navigation, only Driver Assistant plus.
TurboT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #18
YMB_M3_j2
Lieutenant
 
Drives: YMB M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 498
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
I think the difference is in whether or not you have the technology package. I believe it is addressed somehow in the owners manual. I know I saw it somewhere. Sorry that it was not what you expected.
This is correct. You have to get the Full Tech package to get the "extended instrument cluster". Non tech just gets the standard cluster which has less viewable areas and features. BMW should really do a better job of making the cluster differences known but they dont on many models. You really have to dig to find what the tech packages includes
__________________
Picking up 10-25-14 - F82 - Yas Marina Blue - DCT - 19" Black - Executive - Black Full Leather - LED Lighting - Drivers Asst Plus - HK - Adaptive Suspension
YMB_M3_j2 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X3 and X4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw328jc View Post
This is correct. You have to get the Full Tech package to get the "extended instrument cluster". Non tech just gets the standard cluster which has less viewable areas and features. BMW should really do a better job of making the cluster differences known but they dont on many models. You really have to dig to find what the tech packages includes
They totally screwed me.. There is no sales documentation that states if you buy the tech package Vs buying the Nav package that the cluster changes. This is a very bad marketing issue on the their part and I am not okay with this. If I knew I was going to get a half screen cluster I would have ordered tech. I was told the only difference if you order Nav without tech is you lose Hud which is what all the info on the web site shows. There is nothing for ordering a car that tells you you will get the old cluster style.

Imagine driving the X4 at the dealer and falling in love with the Screen on the Dash and then yours comes in after waiting almost 2 months and the cluster isn't what you saw at the dealer. This is the position I am in and I am not going to accept this. My X3 has the nicer cluster and this isn't going to fly. I am going to ask them to replace the car with one with the correct cluster as this is BMW's fault for not saying a word about this.. I made it very clear what I wanted and they very much told me its the same thing with and without tech just HUD would be removed.
Theatermax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
Sarsippius3rd
Enlisted Member
 
Sarsippius3rd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Theatermax, good luck on your quest. I do hope you are happy in the end.
Sarsippius3rd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
YMB_M3_j2
Lieutenant
 
Drives: YMB M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 498
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
They totally screwed me.. There is no sales documentation that states if you buy the tech package Vs buying the Nav package that the cluster changes. This is a very bad marketing issue on the their part and I am not okay with this. If I knew I was going to get a half screen cluster I would have ordered tech. I was told the only difference if you order Nav without tech is you lose Hud which is what all the info on the web site shows. There is nothing for ordering a car that tells you you will get the old cluster style.

Imagine driving the X4 at the dealer and falling in love with the Screen on the Dash and then yours comes in after waiting almost 2 months and the cluster isn't what you saw at the dealer. This is the position I am in and I am not going to accept this. My X3 has the nicer cluster and this isn't going to fly. I am going to ask them to replace the car with one with the correct cluster as this is BMW's fault for not saying a word about this.. I made it very clear what I wanted and they very much told me its the same thing with and without tech just HUD would be removed.
If you did have a very specific conversation with your CA about the difference between Tech and just Nav and your CA just "assumed" the only difference was HUD that is his bad. If you havent taken delivery yet then you can just not accept it and have them re-build the car. You will be in for the wait again but i seriously doubt they will do a retrofit on it. It seem dealers just dont swap parts like they used to do in the old days. I just looked over my build sheet on the X4 Im getting for my spouse and it doesnt even mention the extended cluster and to be honest you will not see it on just basic information sheets and its total BS..i feel they should tell the customers exactly what the difference is no matter how tiny the detail. Enthusiasts like us except those tiny details that a normal shopper would give a second thought. If you are able to re-order i would go with the full Tech as the HUD is pretty handy as is the remote services piece. I hope you can get it corrected. situation sucks.
__________________
Picking up 10-25-14 - F82 - Yas Marina Blue - DCT - 19" Black - Executive - Black Full Leather - LED Lighting - Drivers Asst Plus - HK - Adaptive Suspension
YMB_M3_j2 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #22
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
 
kozzi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 35i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
They totally screwed me.. There is no sales documentation that states if you buy the tech package Vs buying the Nav package that the cluster changes. This is a very bad marketing issue on the their part and I am not okay with this. If I knew I was going to get a half screen cluster I would have ordered tech. I was told the only difference if you order Nav without tech is you lose Hud which is what all the info on the web site shows. There is nothing for ordering a car that tells you you will get the old cluster style.

Imagine driving the X4 at the dealer and falling in love with the Screen on the Dash and then yours comes in after waiting almost 2 months and the cluster isn't what you saw at the dealer. This is the position I am in and I am not going to accept this. My X3 has the nicer cluster and this isn't going to fly. I am going to ask them to replace the car with one with the correct cluster as this is BMW's fault for not saying a word about this.. I made it very clear what I wanted and they very much told me its the same thing with and without tech just HUD would be removed.
Raise HELL my friend so that while you are waiting for them to build your X4 with HUD (that's the only way to get the wider screen cluster), you can drive around the one they messed up on...and it shouldn't cost you a penny more. Good Luck! Keep us informed.

*these are not cheap vehicles to begin with
__________________
kozzi

2015 BMW F25 35i M-Sport
Alpine White / M-Sport / Mocha Nevada /Fineline Anthracite / DHP / Adaptive LED / HK Sound / 20" 310M Run-Flats
kozzi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST