BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum > BMW X4 Forums | F26 (2014 - Current) > BMW X4 General Forum » BMW X4 M Delayed Untill 2017

05-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
YungDro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M6

Arrow BMW X4 M Delayed Untill 2017

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BMW X4 M Coming in 2017.

The hottest version of the BMWs new X4 crossover wont arrive until the coupe-style SUV receives its first mid-life update in 2017.

The President of BMWs M Division, Dr Friedrich Nitschke, has confirmed his tuning division wants to add more SUVs to its lineup, but says constraints on engineering resources have put an X4 M on the back burner for at least a few years.

At the moment we are developing the new X5 M and X6 M, and we will launch these next year, he told Drive at this weeks international launch of the new M3 sedan and M4 coupe.

I think in parallel to bring an X4 M version we are fixed in our capacity of engineering resources and therefore at the moment it is difficult for us to develop a lot of real M cars."

The X4 is the sportiest version of the X3 and in the future maybe we will bring such a car, but we wont be doing it in this model cycle.

BMW has already revealed the X4 will be available with a performance and dress-up kit developed by the M division for the range-topping X4 35i to satisfy enthusiasts.

But Nitschke says his team are evaluating what is required to create a real one.

Senior engineers within the M division have revealed to Drive that it is unlikely the X4 M will adopt the M3/M4s all-new twin-turbo in-line six cylinder, but that it will likely use of a version of the high-power single-turbo six currently under development for the upcoming M2, which is expected to produce around 275kW.

Before the X4 M arrives, BMW M will almost certainly add another SUV to its range with a high-performance version of the recently-announced flagship X7.

It is expected to use the same 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 and mechanical underpinnings from the X5 M and X6 M, enough to create a rival for the likes of the Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG and supercharged Range Rover Autobiography.

Thats a little bit down the road, and too early for us to discuss, BMW Ms head of product management, Carsten Pries, said.

Source:http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/b...512-384de.html
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
GregD
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Drives: all day long..

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
It is expected to use the same 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 and mechanical underpinnings from the X5 M and X6 M
Very doubtful it would share the same 4.4 TT V8. More likely would be the S55 TT from the M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Mako
2000 M Roadster (sold), 2006 M Coupe (sold)
United_States
Rep

Drives: '12 X3 35i M Spt '13 335 M Spt

I would view "product cycle" as meaning next generation, not LCI, meaning we are looking at 6-7 years before the X3M and X4M are produced...

it really wouldn't make sense to only make the X4M when it shares so much in common with the X3 (just like how they make the X5M and X6M...). And the X3 just went through the LCI.

the 40M X4 or whatever it will be called will be a good substitute though, 350 horsepower should get it going from 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds while still delivering good MPG for a SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
Mythos
Rep

Drives: 330i - X1

They probably want to wait and see how the X4 line does, I was hot to get one, but will not be getting one now, both 28 & 35 models go up about $15k with the options I want, pushing them to $60k & $63k (MSRP), can't imagine there being killer discounts on a first year of release either.

Conversely; the new Lexus NX SUV, with a 4cyl turbo and fully loaded is expected to be at least $15k under a X4 and that is with LED headlights and a 835w 15-speaker Mark Levinson stereo.

BTW: I currently have an E46 330i and my wife has a Lexus RX, I was hoping to stay with BWM for my next car, but they are making it so damn hard...

Anyway - If people do not want to pay $60k for a 4cyl, the X4 M with it's estimated cost of $75k - $80k may never see the light of day...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
ynguldyn
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: the other car.

X4 M40i, indeed sharing its engine with the M2, will start production in December 2015. This is the closest to a proper X4M we'll have for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
YungDro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
X4 M40i, indeed sharing its engine with the M2, will start production in December 2015. This is the closest to a proper X4M we'll have for a while.
yep cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I would view "product cycle" as meaning next generation, not LCI, meaning we are looking at 6-7 years before the X3M and X4M are produced...

it really wouldn't make sense to only make the X4M when it shares so much in common with the X3 (just like how they make the X5M and X6M...). And the X3 just went through the LCI.

the 40M X4 or whatever it will be called will be a good substitute though, 350 horsepower should get it going from 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds while still delivering good MPG for a SUV
If I understand all this correctly, the current X3/X4 F25/F26 will make way for the G01/G02 platform in 2017. The current X4 will get no LCI. With the advancements in the G0x platform (stemming from tech spawned out of the the X7), I expect we will see true M versions of these vehicles...X3M/X4M in 2017-18 and a X7M in 2018-19. Or at least an enthusiast like myself can hope.

Competition is good for all of us. BMW was the performance leader in this segment. When the F25 (2011) was released, there was nothing in it's class that could compete. Audi (SQ5) and Porsche (Macan) have since caught up and in some respects, have surpassed. BMW should keep pace and continue to be a class leader. Sure, build a X4 M40i in 2015, but there should be no excuses not to build true M versions on the G0x platform in 2017.

2015 BMW F25 35i M-Sport
Alpine White / M-Sport / Mocha Nevada /Fineline Anthracite / DHP / Adaptive LED / HK Sound / 20" 310M Run-Flats
Appreciate 0