BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

X3 Music Media Options- USB, HD Or Ipod

Hi all,

Still trying to get to grips with the X3 Professional Media- please help.

I'm trying to work out what are the options for MP3 playback. I've tried a USB stick which had some random MP3 directories in it, and I'm struggling to find an easy way to select a directory and just play those mp3's. HELP :

The X3 picks up a couple of playlists from the USB, but I need to investigate where they are on the USB, and how recreate them.

Also I've heard some on the forum say you can transfer files from the USB to the internal memory of the car- how?

Also I've heard some use a small HD in their X3- do they work ok just on USB power?

Also I have an old 16Gb Ipod Nano. I don't use it day to day, am I better ditching the USB drive and just use the Ipod all the time? Are there any dis/ advantages?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
charlie67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche, F25

I have a 500GB HDD plugged into the usb port in the arm rest. It works great and is powered from that. Takes a minute to boot up and start when you start the car. I have been using playlists to play the music (lossless wma). Haven't investigated how to play individual tracks yet.

The USB in the cubby hole is used to transfer tracks to the Car's own hard drive. (havent tried yet as I keep my collection on the harddrive, that way I can easily update it.

What I have been disappointed about is that I cant play video files from the hard drive. Looks like you can only play them from a DVD disc.
      09-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Some discussions about the audio options here:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529599

I would personally favour a USB flash drive over an HDD for music as it's solid state. Once it's indexed after the first time you plug it in, it's list is available almost immediately

You can play video from an iPhone if you have 6NR BMW Apps.

If you upload music to the music collection, you get no album artwork and you get the ridiculous play an album in alphabetical bug (unless you rename all of your mp3s)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
swordfishunter
Rep
Drives: x3

I use my iphone, and find the sound quality superior to a usb drive for compressed files.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Can someone tell me what options I have for Video playback- is it Iphone only using 6NR BMW Apps. I presume the single slot in the dash is CD only- not DVD.

So no Iphone/ DVD changer- NO Video?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If you have any nav, the single slot on the CIC at the front is a DVD player and you can play movies from DVDs but it is disabled when the vehicle is in motion (although you can get this coded to remove this restriction)

As far as I know, the only other way to watch videos is iPhone + 6NR -see this thread

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...471395&page=11

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0