BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

How to Emulate a Garmin Navi?

Our 2012 Navigation System is nice, a great improvement over the DVD-based system in our E90, and we're still getting used to it, but I come from a history with Garmins where I can immediately see at a glance the distance to my next turn, the name of the street I'm turning onto, and the overall ETA to my destination.

While I suppose all of this info can be found somewhere within the BMW Nav system, perhaps by scrolling through the dash views by pressing the stalk, this seems awkward. is there an easier and quicker way?

The split screen shows a small version of the map and switches to the exit view once it is close enough, but does not seem to offer an option to show turn distance, street name and ETA. The owner's manual does not really help.

So, is it just not possible, or am I simply missing it I'd like to have a permanent display of distance to my next turn, the name of the street I'm turning onto, and the ETA to my destination whenever I'm navigating.

Thanks
      08-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
cigar3tte
Rep
Drives: Trophy (2016 x3 xDrive28i)

Mine seems to show the next turn and its distance when I'm using Split Screen Content: Arrow. Which Split Screen Content were you using?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar3tte View Post
Mine seems to show the next turn and its distance when I'm using Split Screen Content: Arrow. Which Split Screen Content were you using?
Map - Direction of Travel
Not sure our system even has an option for "Arrow" (??)
2012 US Model - 'North America 2015-2 Professional' content

Can you snap a pic of what you see, and/or identify the exact split screen you are using?
The only Next Turn/Distance that I see in the screen display is in the bottom right corner of the Main Nav screen when Map is selected - but not in the split screen with map selected.
Next Turn/Distance will also appear in the dash display when you get close to the turn, and may be selectable as a constant display there by pressing the stalk and scrolling - not sure.
Thanks
      08-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
cigar3tte
Rep
Drives: Trophy (2016 x3 xDrive28i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Map - Direction of Travel
Not sure our system even has an option for "Arrow" (??)
2012 US Model - 'North America 2015-2 Professional' content

Can you snap a pic of what you see, and/or identify the exact split screen you are using?
The only Next Turn/Distance that I see in the screen display is in the bottom right corner of the Main Nav screen when Map is selected - but not in the split screen with map selected.
Next Turn/Distance will also appear in the dash display when you get close to the turn, and may be selectable as a constant display there by pressing the stalk and scrolling - not sure.
Thanks
Three pics attached. First one is the option chosen for the split screen (Arrow display checked). Second one has the split screen showing position when I'm not in navigation. Third one is the split screen while in navigation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow . . . really appreciate the trouble that you went to to provide these pictures.
That's exactly what I'd like to see, but I'm not at the car now and do not think (but hope) that it has the option for Arrow that yours has.

I note that your X3 is a 2016 with the newer NBT nav, while our 2012 has the older penultimate version and it may not have that Arrow option. At least I don't recall ever seeing it. I'll check though.

Thanks again.

Edit: Just browsed the online Owners Manual for the 2012 and it seems to show that Arrow display is indeed one of the available Map Views for Split Screen Content. Need to play with this some.
Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar3tte View Post
Three pics attached. First one is the option chosen for the split screen (Arrow display checked). Second one has the split screen showing position when I'm not in navigation. Third one is the split screen while in navigation.

Last edited by Kimo; 08-24-2015 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Although I have not tried this arrow view yet on a split screen screen it sounds pretty useful because when on a roundabout with many exits and trees and items in the centre, the voice instruction is usually very late, sometimes making it easy to miss the exit you want and having to go round the roundabout again.

A great pity you cannot select one of the buttons as a shortcut for split screen arrow display and the appropriate map display you use. Unless anybody has a work around?

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Without, admittedly, trying this - wouldn't two presets work?, i.e. one for MAP direction of travel and one for SPLIT SCREEN Arrow view?
Actually, maybe even ONE button because you can simply Voice Command "Map". Map view shows the overall distance and ETA in the lower right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Although I have not tried this arrow view yet on a split screen screen it sounds pretty useful because when on a roundabout with many exits and trees and items in the centre, the voice instruction is usually very late, sometimes making it easy to miss the exit you want and having to go round the roundabout again.

A great pity you cannot select one of the buttons as a shortcut for split screen arrow display and the appropriate map display you use. Unless anybody has a work around?

08-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Without, admittedly, trying this - wouldn't two presets work?, i.e. one for MAP direction of travel and one for SPLIT SCREEN Arrow view?
Actually, maybe even ONE button because you can simply Voice Command "Map". Map view shows the overall distance and ETA in the lower right corner.
I see no point in having two presets. The idea is to have one preset for split screen mode with the contents of each screen already preselected prior to making/creating the shortcut.

Must admit not tried voice.

Edited now tried voice and it works. I suppose I should have read the manual first.

Using the idrive menu, I selected Split screen with my normal map in the left hand screen and the Arrow view in the right hand screen then used the voice commands of:

" Split screen off" to show only the map!

then

" Split screen on" to revert back to the map in the LH screen and the arrow in the RH screen.

Now going back to the car to sort out my other options.

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-24-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I see no point in having two presets. The idea is to have one preset for split screen mode with the contents of each screen already preselected prior to making/creating the shortcut.

Must admit not tried voice.

Edited now tried voice and it works. I suppose I should have read the manual first.

Using the idrive menu, I selected Split screen with my normal map in the left hand screen and the Arrow view in the right hand screen then used the voice commands of:

" Split screen off" to show only the map!

then

" Split screen on" to revert back to the map in the LH screen and the arrow in the RH screen.

Now going back to the car to sort out my other options.
NOW we're getting somewhere

We usually keep a small map in the split screen even when not navigating (perhaps just because it looks cool) and our Audio (CD, Sirius, iPod, etc. in the main window).
I'm thinking that when actually navigating now, we'll set up the display as you've described above (Map in main screen to show overall remaining distances and ETAs, with Arrow View in the split screen to show Next Turn, etc.) and then just toggle the Voice commands "Map OFF" / "Map ON" to toggle our current Audio and the Map/ETAs respectively. If those Map On and Off voice commands don't work, it's no big deal to just toggle the NAV and Radio/CD buttons near the iController.
Still not as elegant as our trusty Garmins, but certainly getting better . . .

Quote:
Using the idrive menu, I selected Split screen with my normal map in the left hand screen and the Arrow view in the right hand screen
Question - were you unable to assign a preset for automatically calling up the Split Screen Arrow view? i.e. do you need to manually select arrow view?

Last edited by Kimo; 08-24-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Question - were you unable to assign a preset for automatically calling up the Split Screen Arrow view? i.e. do you need to manually select arrow view?
No I could not get a single preset assigned to split the screen.

I see no point anymore because the voice command is a far better way. Lots more experimenting now that found this is the ideal way for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I see no point anymore because the voice command is a far better way.
Understood, and agreed.
I'll experiment myself, but do you recall if once the Split Screen is already displayed via Voice Command, can you then say "Arrow View" to display that view, or do you need to manually select Arrow View with the controller?
      08-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Understood, and agreed.
I'll experiment myself, but do you recall if once the Split Screen is already displayed via Voice Command, can you then say "Arrow View" to display that view, or do you need to manually select Arrow View with the controller?
You can set it by voice command. I just make sure that using the idrive controller I have the correct side of the screen as the active one and then say "arrow view" or other map view as required. I am not going to type all the information here, you will have to read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can set it by voice command. I just make sure that using the idrive controller I have the correct side of the screen as the active one and then say "arrow view" or other map view as required. I am not going to type all the information here, you will have to read the manual.
Yep, I definitely will.

I started this thread in the hope of finding the optimal display to make the X3's Nav as sweet as today's highly evolved Garmins - and I think we both benefited.

Tracking down ETA and next turn was always there, just had to find the best way to display it without undue effort.

Thanks
      08-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I definitely will.

I started this thread in the hope of finding the optimal display to make the X3's Nav as sweet as today's highly evolved Garmins - and I think we both benefited.

Tracking down ETA and next turn was always there, just had to find the best way to display it without undue effort.

Thanks
No problem. It was an enjoyable experience and hopefully others will pick up on this thread and post their findings.

It is not until someone wants to do something that others join in and help.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

For those who may reference this thread later, another 'tip' that I stumbled upon while playing with the various Nav settings (but this tip applies to almost every other function too) is as followeth:

DO NOT FORGET TO AVAIL THYSELF OF THE "OPTIONS" BUTTON DOWN IN THE iDRIVE CONTROLLER CLUSTER!!

It causeth wondrous things to happen for thee!
      08-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Peter_R: you managed the conversation with no problem, but for future discussions - don`t ėnvolve roundabouts -they tried one in LA, but had to remove it after a number of accidents.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Peter_R: you managed the conversation with no problem, but for future discussions - don`t ėnvolve roundabouts -they tried one in LA, but had to remove it after a number of accidents.
Tjalle

I do not quite understand your English. What are you trying to say?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tjalle

I do not quite understand your English. What are you trying to say?
Come now Peter.
As an Englishman, I'd think that you - of all people - would understand that I'll be the roundabout . . . Tjalle's words will make you out 'n' out . . . and in future discussions please change the day your way . . .
      08-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Come now Peter.
As an Englishman, I'd think that you - of all people - would understand that I'll be the roundabout . . . Tjalle's words will make you out 'n' out . . . and in future discussions please change the day your way . . .
Even more confused now!

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-25-2015 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #20
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Even more confused now!

https://www.google.com/search?q=roun...utf-8&oe=utf-8
      08-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #21
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

I now see what you are on about. Unfortunately it was lost on me, because I am from a totally different age group. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #22
jerr529
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw X3 x28i

Cigar3rett peter or kimo, i ordered mine couple weeks ago X3 does the Nav let you know by Voice comand the exit or distance when to make turns or get off highway? Like the Garmin Nav,
jerry
Appreciate 0