BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #67
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer View Post
If you don't believe a statement from the X3 project manager I don't know why part numbers will convince you. But just in case here are links to the relevant components in the DHP and non-DHP equipped X3s. You can the presence of a control module and connection to the strut in the DHP diagram and an absence of both in the non-DHP diagram.

for DHP

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=33&fg=45

for non-DHP

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=33&fg=45
There really is no point in trying to convince the non-believers.

I think the greatest benefit to this thread is to help those who are going to order how to decide whether to spend the $ for the DHP or not.

If I knew what I know now I would have purchased the DHP package but I went on the original posts I was reading that there was a suspension change with sport/sport+.

SO, for all of you in the US or whatever countries who want sport or m-packages for the handling upgrade PLEASE get the DHP package because we all get our "sport suspensions delete"d and your ride is no different than the standard model minus the tranny/chasis (read: NOT SUSPENSION) settings in sport/sport+...

I feel somewhat duped but I know I'll love the ride and I'm confident that I'll be able to get my hands on the OEM sport suspension parts that were deleted someday if I'm unhappy with the handling.

ok guys - hop on the dead horse...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #68
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Several folks have taken the time and effort to research this subject pretty thoroughly, and I cannot argue the technical conclusions reached, because I have not done the research. But there is one thing that continues to bug me... why, when I select Sport or Sport+, do I have the option in iDrive to configure "chassis" or not?

I'm not saying that isn't just a glitch, or BMW didn't want two versions of that configuration software.... but it seems odd to me.

The real bottom line here (and has been stated before) is that BMW has done and continues to do a very bad job describing this system and its related options for the buyers. It does make me sorry to see anyone spec out a car and be disappointed by the misinformation surrounding it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #69
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Several folks have taken the time and effort to research this subject pretty thoroughly, and I cannot argue the technical conclusions reached, because I have not done the research. But there is one thing that continues to bug me... why, when I select Sport or Sport+, do I have the option in iDrive to configure "chassis" or not?

I'm not saying that isn't just a glitch, or BMW didn't want two versions of that configuration software.... but it seems odd to me.

The real bottom line here (and has been stated before) is that BMW has done and continues to do a very bad job describing this system and its related options for the buyers. It does make me sorry to see anyone spec out a car and be disappointed by the misinformation surrounding it.
Along with that, why do they put on their website:

"Depending on which BMW model you drive, the sport mode can be activated by a touch of the "Sport" button on the central console. Immediately, your BMW feels even more dynamic: the electronic control units switch to sportier settings, making the engine more responsive and the suspension stiffer.
This increase in sports-style characteristics is accompanied by a reduction in powered assistance for the steering at low and medium RPMs for more direct and immediate steering, giving you an even closer sense of the character of the road.

Doesn't add up for me. Period. Guess we'll all just have to agree to disagree. This subject is exhausting for both sides.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #70
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The disclaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
"Depending on which BMW model you drive..."
This is the issue. BMW avoid qualifying when and where you are going to get a change in suspension characteristics with this get out clause. Nowhere does it say "With DHP/DDC" nor does it offer any other specific configuration where this happens. You are simply left to guess and hope that your sales guy can help you decide what you really need.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #71
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Exactly. Agree BMW does a shitty job of clarifying features like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #72
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Sorry to say you don't have proof as to what is being used the the X3's without DHP. Give me some part numbers and I'll believe you.
So now you've got the part numbers. Happy?

Seriously, enjoy what you've got. The X3 is an awesome vehicle; wish I had one.

Motor on.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #73
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
So now you've got the part numbers. Happy?

Seriously, enjoy what you've got. The X3 is an awesome vehicle; wish I had one.

Motor on.
At least we all are in agreement that BMW does a shitty job on describing anything. I love my X and wouldn't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #74
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

Quote:
I think someone HERE wishes they could spell!! It's ok, we all make mistakes
In the end. Believing youu have magical dynamic suspension is up to you. You believing it is all that matters.
2005 330i SG PP CW
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #75
egal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

I apologize for raising a difficult topic again. I found this thread after googling the suspension part numbers and comparing cost of parts and researching availability in the US.

Why is it that I can only find
  • sport suspension delete
  • EDC parts
and not sport suspension parts? Is is because they share the same part number?

With all the discussions behind DHP, if there are truly three different parts, then I can't imagine how each could drive in the same manner assuming that the throttle mapping, mode, and driving conditions were equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwabmw View Post
realoem makes the part number question easy. X3's have 3 possible strut part numbers and 2 possible stabilizer bar part numbers.

Front
strut - 31316796409/10 (L/R)
with sport suspension settings - 31316796417/18 (L/R)
with Electronic Damping Control (EDC) - 37116797027/28 (L/R)

Rear
strut - 33526796317
with sport suspension - 33526796422
with EDC - 37126799911

Front stabilizer
bar - 31356788711
with sport suspension OR EDC - 31356788710

Rear stabilizer
bar - 3355678218
with sport suspension OR EDC - 33556787219

My M-Sport without DHP does not have a difference in suspension in the SPORT or SPORT+ settings. It it still soft and compliant while the other changes the settings make do make it drive more responsively.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #76
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by egal View Post
Why is it that I can only find
  • sport suspension delete
  • EDC parts
and not sport suspension parts? Is is because they share the same part number?
Where have you been looking?

The Sport susp. parts aren't going to be readily available because they are not an option on US cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #77
egal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Where have you been looking?

The Sport susp. parts aren't going to be readily available because they are not an option on US cars.
I simply googled the part number. I only get DE/RU sites. For example : 31316796417

I guess you are probably right, I would have assumed that this would have been available for at least special order on some us sites. However, I have tried a couple Canadian sites without avail, and it is my understanding that the CAN market gets a sport suspension.

I guess the question is if there really are three suspension bins in Spartanburg for this SAV or just two.
Appreciate 0