BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Exclamation whew!!! changed both exhaust manis! 10 hrs!!

started getting 0420 $ 430 @ around 189. Thats about how long the cat lasted on my last BMW.
It took ten hours to do both exhaust manifolds, by myself. I used new fasteners from rmeuropean and ordered the mans from the dealer online. I used rhino ramps ($30 walmart) to put the car on front mount. Using this you may be able to get the 5 hr book time. I used all hand tools with exception of a drill to remove the 8mm bolts on the splash panel beneath the x3.

The book says my f25 I6 28ixdrive has to have to support arm removed to get the front man off. I was able to pull it right behind the rear man. Maybe if you are only replacing the front than you might have to remove the support arm. I took a couple of breaks to eat a sandwich and stretch a bit because I was getting cramped a bit.

The other step you can skip is in the book, it says to remove the entire exhaust system, you can just remove all but the last four nuts near the exhaust mufflers. The exhaust will be able to safely lay on the ground and stay supported at the rear once you get to this part. The man to exhaust buts are 5/8 and you will need about a foot worth extension to reach the top nut. There is a 18mm bolt at the back of the exhaust

The head to man bolts come off easy (torque about 45 nm) using a 7/16 long thin wall socket and I used it on a 1/2 inch wrench for full torque.
Take the socket first and put it on the nut/stud and while holding the socket onto the bolt securely, take your other hand and put your ratchet (tools,impact, etc) and remove each nut.

It was easy to not damage any studs. If you have a air ratchet, this will go by fast, this is the part that took the most time for me and I had to walk away and come back many time because it is A LOT of ratcheting without impact or air tools.

At the reinstall, I did by hand without a torque wrench, the man cylinders stick out so that they fit right into the head, I tightened the nuts so that i can feel about a couple 1/2 of the stud and check to see if it was secure by going under the car and tugging on the man. I was also able to tighten a couple of man to head nuts from under the car also.

I replaced all the gaskets ordering the from rockauto and rmeuropean being able to find oem gaskets. The old gaskets were brittle at the man to exhaust and most of the man to head gaskets came off but two were stuck onto the motor. I was able to pry them off with a long screwdriver from under the vehicle easily and safely. I am using new sensors also ordered from both stores above.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

stuck to it and saved some cash !
I say this in humor . . .
I changed the engine on an older Lear Jet in 1.2 hours !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Cool

Well to be fair, my time included prep and clean up time, plus breaks, and I didn't use any assistance from anyone and I used no power tools.
Appreciate 0