BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

is there any different functionality of the phone with it plugged into the USB port that this mod provides vs. putting the phone in the snap in adapter other than the antenna function?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #24
mckim750
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 20dm

Hi,
Inspired and encouraged by this post, I made it done.
It went just as described here except for one thing: step 11 was not needed. I believe updated part has got improvement.
Thanks! Now I love my X3 a lot more than before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #25
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Thank You
      11-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #26
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

New member here. Just joined the forum to thank ReturnZero and roadkillrob for their very helpful instructions and advice. Much appreciated.

Yesterday, I successfully removed the phone cradle from my 2014 xdrive35i in about 30 minutes. I temporarily reinstalled the old cubby until the new one arrives. Yeah, I probably should have just waited for the new one to get here, but I got so excited over the prospect of ridding my car of that ghastly, space-gobbling phone cradle that I couldn't bear to wait another day! And, I don't mind having to go through (some of) the motions one more time to swap in the new cubby.

Thank you again, gentlemen. You've played a key role in making my X3 even more perfect! -SoCalRob
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #27
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Glad to hear it, enjoy your X3!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #28
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 520i

Thanks for the great tutorial. I was too lazy to order new box, so I just removed the craddle. I will plug the hole with some black plastic or rubber, and it's good to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #29
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Thanks to seeing this thread I did mine after owning the car since 2011.

I'm not sure how others have unplugged the phone cable from the car's end because the wires run inside there.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #30
tekgk
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Thank you gentlemen for the instructions and tweaks. I just did this DIY and it took about 45-50 mainly due to the fact I'm clumsy fingers. But well worth it since I can now actually use the space in the console!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #31
Rarara
Registered
South Korea
Rep
Drives: X4 20d 2015

All detail instructions are helpful. Thanks! :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #32
danend
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d

Does anyone know if you can pay the BMW service department to remove the cradle?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #33
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

?Just finished removing mine - now I need to order the new part.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #34
asinrute
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Mine done now as well, thanks for the really clear photos and text
      06-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #35
ChicagoGuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xDrive28i

Three years ago, I followed this fantastic step-by-step guide to rip the useless bin/phone cradle out of my shiny new 2014 X3…I ordered the plain OEM “downgrade” bin and, once it arrived, the swap went smoothly and I stuck the cradle bin in the box, put it on a shelf in my garage, and forgot about it.

Last week, as I was prepping my car for lease-end turn-in (cleaning out all the various bins & pockets, taking out the kids’ booster seats, swapping the locking lug bolts for the plain one and taking the all-weather mats & folding bins out and putting the carpet mats – was gonna put those to use on the 2017 X3 that was taking the 2014’s place), I suddenly remembered the center console. So I found this guide again and followed it in reverse, and it went a little something like this:

1) Remove bottom rubber mat, remove the three Torx screws, pop bin out of center console.

2) Remove wires from backs of 12V outlet, USB port, and line-in jack.

3) Easily pop out 12V outlet because I mangled the little black plastic clip when I first installed it, so it didn’t put up any resistance.

4) Struggle to remove USB/line-in module, swear under my breath, take the bin over to my work bench and finally get the thing out with the help of a screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers. Press them into their respective holes in the old phone cradle bin.

5) Fish phone cable out from inside the transmission hump, set aside for now.

6) Remove outer casing of the phone cradle, pry the inner casing apart, immediately drop one of the spring-loaded nubs between the console and the seat. Quietly let a couple choice words fly.

7) Get on hands and knees with a flashlight, spot the missing nub and spring, use a long metal claw tool to grab them, put them in the cupholder with the other nub and spring.

8) Take the plastic bag off the antenna and circuit board, thread it through the bottom of the inner phone cradle, get everything in place, put the springs and nubs back in their seats, press the cradle back together.

9) Realize I forgot to first thread the phone cable through the bottom part of the outer cradle casing. Swear loudly.

10) Pry inner cradle apart, immediately drop one of the spring-loaded nubs between the center console and the seat. Swear slightly more loudly. Get on hands and knees with the flashlight and the claw tool again to find them.

11) Take antenna & circuit board out through the small opening in the bottom, thread them through the bottom half of the outer casing, insert them into the small opening in the inner casing, press it back together, seat inner casing into bottom of outer casing and fasten it with all six screws.

12) Realize I forgot to thread the phone cable through the top half of the outer casing. Swear much more loudly, turning some curse words into adjectives to combine them with other curse words. Remove all six screws, drop one into the center console, hear it rattle its way somewhere into the depths of the transmission tunnel.

13) Pry the inner casing apart, watch helplessly as one of those stupid goddamn spring loaded nubs flies through the air and lands between the console and the seat. Grab the flashlight and the claw and find the spring and the black plastic bit.

14) Remove antenna and circuit board through that damn hole in the bottom, pull it out through the hole in the bottom of the outer casing, thread it through both halves of the outer casing, cram the bastard antenna and circuit board back into the inner casing, get them seated, press it back together, screw it into the bottom of the outer casing with the five screws (briefly glare angrily at the empty hole where the sixth screw would have gone), snap the top half of the outer casing onto the whole mess. Phew.

15) Realize I forgot to thread the phone cable through the bin. You’ve gotta be f***ing kidding me. Weave a colorful tapestry of profanity at full volume. Tell my wife everything’s fine when she comes down to the garage to see what all the shouting’s about.

16) Take the outer cradle casing apart, pry the inner casing apart over the cupholders and shake it so both spring-loaded nubs fall into them. Hallelujah. Remove antenna and circuit board from inner cradle, pull the cable out of both halves of the outer casing.

17) Thread the cable through the bin and both halves of the outer casing. Insert antenna and circuit board into that stupidly small hole in the inner casing, get them seated, put the springs and nubs into the round seats, drop one between console and seat. Seethe. Grab the f***ing flashlight and claw and go after it.

18) Put the various parts of the cradle together, insert the pivot points into the corresponding holes in the bin. Snap one of the little gear assemblies from its seat, watch it land between the seat and console. Wipe rage sweat that is now dripping into eyes, grab the flashlight and claw to retrieve it.

19) Install cradle in bin, reseat the gear, screw everything together.

20) Reconnect 12V, USB, and line-in cables.

21) Press bin into the console, affix with the original four screws, replace bottom rubber mat.

22) Consider testing USB port and 12V outlet to make sure everything’s working correctly. Decide f*** it. Open a beer, drink half in one gulp, scowl at the wall, continue to sweat profusely. When my wife asks what’s wrong, glare at her until she says, “okay, never mind, jeez.”

23) Open web browser, search Google to make sure the 2017s don’t come with the stupid f***ing phone cradle. Breathe a huge sigh of relief when search reveals that it’s no longer offered because BMW finally got with the times and properly integrated iDrive 5.0 with Bluetooth.

Couldn’t have done it without this excellent step-by-step guide!

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #36
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Well that is a very impressive post - great pics and clear directions. Really is good... well done ReturnZero
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #37
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Glad to see this guide is still helping people out!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #38
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Helpful indeed. Picked up the X3 in April, and was swapping out the cubby by May. Thanks for taking the time to put together the write-up!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #39
urvang
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Convertible

Part number for 2013 BMW 328i convertible?

I also want to remove my cell phone cradle, but it's a 2013 BMW 328i convertible.

Do you guys know if the same part# works as replacement?
(I looked in the E93 forum, but didn't see a similar DIY, hence posting question here).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #40
olenilsen
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
What a great and detailed procedure, followed it and now have the use of the console again without the stupid phone craddle
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #41
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

For someone with average mechanical experience, how long does this mod take would you say? The OP says it's taken him 30 minutes, was wondering what others' experience has been.

Also, anyone done it by just covering up the holes with tape? Wondering how bad it'd look....

PS The part number for the original 6NS storage bin is 51169233362 in case anyone's wondering
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus99; 10-23-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #42
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
For someone with average mechanical experience, how long does this mod take would you say? The OP says it's taken him 30 minutes, was wondering what others' experience has been.

Also, anyone done it by just covering up the holes with tape? Wondering how bad it'd look....

PS The part number for the original 6NS storage bin is 51169233362 in case anyone's wondering
Did this; took about 1 hour. I covered the holes with adhesive neoprene liner, which I always do anyway to reduce the noise of things rattling around. Looks great. BTW, you can by sheets of the neoprene liner on Amazon or ebay. It's a great interior mod for hard plastic storage areas. Like door pockets, console storage, and the under-floor storage in the cargo area.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #43
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post
Did this; took about 1 hour. I covered the holes with adhesive neoprene liner, which I always do anyway to reduce the noise of things rattling around. Looks great. BTW, you can by sheets of the neoprene liner on Amazon or ebay. It's a great interior mod for hard plastic storage areas. Like door pockets, console storage, and the under-floor storage in the cargo area.
Brilliant. As much as I would like to do this and make it look OEM, I'm not ready to drop $50 US for a new storage bin right off the bat, if I can live with the old one with holes in it. So I was thinking of what to cover it up with…

Is this the stuff you're talking about? It doesn't sound like it's stiff though, is it? And what thickness did you go with?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KADUHGO

Would be great if you would post up the link to yours. All I can find is like 30 foot rolls... LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #44
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

Yes, that's the stuff. I used 1/8". I'm pretty sure I got in on e-bay; do a search. If I have time tonight I'll get teh details. I did the entire bay, and I don't think the small holes are a factor for the way I use it.
Appreciate 0