BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

2011 - Intermittent no sound

Every once in a while, when I start the car, the amplifier for all of the sound (telephone, radio, sat, ipod, dings, warnings, etc) is completely silent. A reboot while holding the button for 25sec doesn't remedy the problem.

If we turn off the car, let it sit for an hour or two (a complete shutdown), it'll come back on.

This seems to happen in the morning maybe once every few months.

Dealer, thus far, hasn't been able to diagnose anything.

Anyone else run into this?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

The only thing similar that I experienced was the idrive screen failing in almost the same way you describe your failure. I would start the car in the morning and every week or so, the idrive screen would remain blank. If I left the car and cam back half an hour or an hour later, the screen would come on. It turned out to be a faulty screen in my case. but it took the dealer two attempts and 3 weeks with my car to diagnose it!

I am not sure this helps?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

anyone else have this problem? Have had this happen about 3-4 times in the last year.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

Have had exactly the same thing happen to me twice in just under 2 years of ownership. But I was able to get mine to work by locking the car, then unlocking and switching on ignition. Have not bothered me enough to really make anything of it.
Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

update. Was in the shop today for other things. They found a fault in the computer. The fault indicated to reinstall the car s/w. They did this to fix my sunroof (not opening to the comfort position) and the brakes showing 3100 mi remaining for the last 5k or so. Anyway, there's a fix.

Good to know about the lock/unlock sequence.....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

It could have been the amp or some audio hardware in the trunk was overheating. It happened to mine when I was driving for a while without the ac on and it was about 90F and i was blasting music, stopped at a Starbucks and closed all the windows and when I came out all the audio stopped working just like yours. It started to work a couple hours later but if you try and feel the amp in the trunk it was scorching hot
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
It could have been the amp or some audio hardware in the trunk was overheating. It happened to mine when I was driving for a while without the ac on and it was about 90F and i was blasting music, stopped at a Starbucks and closed all the windows and when I came out all the audio stopped working just like yours. It started to work a couple hours later but if you try and feel the amp in the trunk it was scorching hot
Not the case for me, this always occured upon start-up. Car parked in the garage overnight. Temps in the 50'F range. Interesting observation you have, however.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

Yes, mine was also from cold start and fairly cool weather.
Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist
Appreciate 0