BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Electromechanical parking brake (manual gearbox models)

Guys,

Have tried searching the forum for a specific answer to my query with no luck so here goes...

Impatiently waiting for the car to be shipped - I'm reading all of the threads that catch my eye - great info! Anyway...

I live in an area with really steep roads (up to 1 in 3) so am a little concerned about the parking brake fitted to the X3. With a traditional handbrake, setting off on a steep hill, you put the car into gear, get the clutch biting with a good dose of revs and then slowly release the handbrake. Jobs a goodun'.

In the X3, I assume that you do the same but just press the button down at the time you have the clutch biting? or does it sense the incline and put some auto hold on the brake? If its the former, do you feel under control or do you have to add a few more revs etc?

Anyone with a manual transmission out there that can help? Cheers.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I know my X3 has something called hill start assist. Basically, you keep your foot on the brake then when you come to set off, when you take your foot on the brake to move it to the accelerator it will hold the brake for a few seconds giving you time to accelerate. I think it's a standard feature across the range now.

That could be a solution rather than using the handbrake?

I know that in the X5 and the 5GT to take the handbrake off you had to have your foot on the brake. So I presume that would be the same across the range. Auto Hold is really good, however i'm not entirely sure the Manual has that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
scubapup
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Looks like the auto hold feature would be the best thing slice bread for you in this case
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just been having a look on the UK Approved Used website, and to confirm my thoughts it looks like the manual doesn't have Auto Hold. I can't see the button for it anyway...

Regarding auto hold though, I can find it a bit sensitive. If you touch your accelerator a tiny tiny bit it will release. I've had it do it on a few occasions and been close to someone in front then and only notice i'm creeping forward at the last minute.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys.

The bit in the manual says this...."Releasing (the parking brake) With the ignition switched on. Manual gearbox - press the switch with the brake or clutch pressed. Parking brake is released".

From what I can see in the UK 2013 spec's, 'hill start assist' does not exist. The auto hold feature only applies to the auto gearbox models.

Looks like I'll have to nip out with a couple of chocks everytime I need to have a steep hill start!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a look at my E83 spec, mines definitely got it on. (20d)

If you look at the F25 30d, it lists it as a spec but not on the 20d. However I had a loaner 320d the other day and that had it on. Can't see them not putting it on the 20d, seeming it was standard on the old model, and I was pretty sure it was on all new models.

You'll have to wait and see and let us know. I can't remember when I test drove the new model, however I did test the auto so I wouldn't have noticed.

Just out of interest, which garage did you order it from?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
Just had a look at my E83 spec, mines definitely got it on. (20d)

If you look at the F25 30d, it lists it as a spec but not on the 20d. However I had a loaner 320d the other day and that had it on. Can't see them not putting it on the 20d, seeming it was standard on the old model, and I was pretty sure it was on all new models.

You'll have to wait and see and let us know. I can't remember when I test drove the new model, however I did test the auto so I wouldn't have noticed.

Just out of interest, which garage did you order it from?
Just got the brochure out myself and you are right - hill start is on the 3.0 and 3.5d's. Looks like i'll have to master this on a nice quiet road! Nice of BMW to drop this feature on the F25 when it was on the E83 .

Wished that i'd specced the towbar now .

Garage is Carlisle (Lloyds).

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Seems odd they'd remove it, I find it quite useful. Especially if you've got an electronic handbrake.

The electric towbar is fantastic, i've got the one where you have to manually put it on. On the X5 it's so much easier just pressing a button!

Never had much dealings with Lloyds, apart from when my grandfather got his X5. I usually go Bowker in Preston.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36

The bit in the manual says this...."Releasing (the parking brake) With the ignition switched on. Manual gearbox - press the switch with the brake or clutch pressed. Parking brake is released".

From what I can see in the UK 2013 spec's, 'hill start assist' does not exist. The auto hold feature only applies to the auto gearbox models.

Looks like I'll have to nip out with a couple of chocks everytime I need to have a steep hill start!
Auto hold is definitely only for automatic - there is no button in the diagram in the user manual for manual

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I've got a 30d with HSA (Hill Start Assist) but that operates independantly of the Auto Release of the Handbrake.

HSA automatically applies the brakes when you come to a stop (to stop rolling back or forward)

But the X3 also auto releases the handbrake when you drive off.
i.e. Stop the car using normal brakes, apply handbrake button, when I press the accelerator again the handbrake releases without touching it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I've got a 30d with HSA (Hill Start Assist) but that operates independantly of the Auto Release of the Handbrake.

HSA automatically applies the brakes when you come to a stop (to stop rolling back or forward)

i.e. Stop the car using normal brakes, apply handbrake button, when I press the accelerator again the handbrake releases without touching it.
Phil - do you think that this would definitely apply to the 2.0d (i.e. the handbrake has nothing to do with the HSA and auto hold)? So if i'm reading this correctly (please bear with me....)

Driving up a steep hill, stop at the traffic lights, into neutral and press hand brake button to hold car. To set off, put it into gear and drop the clutch, leaving the hand brake button alone? The car then deals with the hand brake (i'm not used to all this technology!).

If so, this sounds spot on and my shoulders are feeling lighter already!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post
Phil - do you think that this would definitely apply to the 2.0d (i.e. the handbrake has nothing to do with the HSA and auto hold)? So if i'm reading this correctly (please bear with me....)

Driving up a steep hill, stop at the traffic lights, into neutral and press hand brake button to hold car. To set off, put it into gear and drop the clutch, leaving the hand brake button alone? The car then deals with the hand brake (i'm not used to all this technology!).

If so, this sounds spot on and my shoulders are feeling lighter already!

Cheers
Could be bad news- I eventually dug out my owners manual, it says-
Manual Gearbox- Press the switch with brake or clutch pressed.
Auto Press the switch with the brake pressed or gearbox in Park

Automatic Release for Automatic Gearbox- Operate the accelerator pedal to automatically release.

So I guess with a manual gearbox in a hilly area you'll be pushing and pulling the Parking Brake button a fair number of times.

Yet another reason to get the Auto Box

Last edited by philtrick123; 12-09-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Phil - Yes I think this is the case also.

The original point of my first post was to gauge if the e-brake is as 'easy' to use as a manual hand brake in probably the worst scenario - going up a steep hill.

I'm probably worrying about nothing (until my missus goes out in it by herself!) as I'm sure this forum would be full of complaints / accidents because the car has slipped backwards etc etc.

Any 2.0d manual owners out there to confirm what's what?

Last edited by am36; 12-09-2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: missed a bit!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

am36, don't worry, I'm one of the few of us on here with a manual X3 and I can confirm that my car has hill start assist. I actually find the electronic handbrake quite good in that you can feel when it's going to release (it's a split second after you release the button) so it's not really an issue. If however, you're holding the car on the foot brake, the HSA will hold the car for a few seconds after you take your foot of the pedal - just enough time to get on the throttle and get the car moving.

I had a 2009 previous generation X3 before this one, and the HSA worked in exactly the same way.

My car's a 2013 model year 20d M Sport (built in September) so I'd guess it's pretty much identical to yours.

Hope ths helps, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
      12-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
am36, don't worry, I'm one of the few of us on here with a manual X3 and I can confirm that my car has hill start assist. I actually find the electronic handbrake quite good in that you can feel when it's going to release (it's a split second after you release the button) so it's not really an issue. If however, you're holding the car on the foot brake, the HSA will hold the car for a few seconds after you take your foot of the pedal - just enough time to get on the throttle and get the car moving.

I had a 2009 previous generation X3 before this one, and the HSA worked in exactly the same way.

My car's a 2013 model year 20d M Sport (built in September) so I'd guess it's pretty much identical to yours.

Hope ths helps, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Thanks Kiernan - just the reassurance I was looking for! The area that I did my test drives around were pretty flat so I didn't get chance to notice how the car reacted in this scenario.
I wonder if it is 'officially' Hill start assist or just a design / safety feature when on an incline? Just seems strange that the 2013 brochure makes a deal of highlighting this as being on the 3.0 & 3.5d only. Anyway - really pleased!

Are you happy with the manual gearbox?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Kiernan - just the reassurance I was looking for! The area that I did my test drives around were pretty flat so I didn't get chance to notice how the car reacted in this scenario.
I wonder if it is 'officially' Hill start assist or just a design / safety feature when on an incline? Just seems strange that the 2013 brochure makes a deal of highlighting this as being on the 3.0 & 3.5d only. Anyway - really pleased!

Are you happy with the manual gearbox?

Cheers
I'm confused by the terminology- I'm currently thinking Hill Start Assist= Auto Hold (as displayed by the dash light)= You come to a stop, and the brakes auto hold (on the parking brake) the car until you accelerate away.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

am36, I think the manual box is really good, but I would point out that I'm some sort of luddite that still derives pleasure from the simple process of changing gear. As you can see from my signature, I've also got an M3 and in spite of everyone saying the DCT gearbox is the bees knees, I just couldn't get on with it, so I know I maybe don't fit the standard customer profile.

Philtrick, see why you're saying, but I think they're different things. HSA is just a simple device that hold brake pressure for a few seconds after you've released the pedal, and my car certainly has it. Auto hold is something that's not fitted to manual X3's so I don't know much about it, other than to sat that as far as I'm aware, I don't have it on my car. Does. it automatically the handbrake, and then release it when you move off?
      12-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Auto hold is something that's not fitted to manual X3's so I don't know much about it, other than to sat that as far as I'm aware, I don't have it on my car. Does. it automatically the handbrake, and then release it when you move off?
Yes the Auto Hold automatically applies the handbrake when you stop, and releases it when you press the accelerator to drive off. Also works with the Stop/Start system so you don't have to keep on the brake pedal while stopped.
I think the X3 brochure is wrong- because it says Hill Start Assist is only on the 30d and above- but it should say Auto Hold

If the X3 20d manual gearbox auto releases the handbrake when you drive off then I would say that is Hill Start Assist. Do you have a button labelled 'Auto H' next to the parking sensor button?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Auto hold and hill start assist are two different things. HSA simply maintains brake pressure for a few seconds after you release the brake pedal, giving you enough time to get on the gas and move off. This is what I have fitted to my manual car and it works very effectively.

Auto hold as you describe sounds very nice, but its not fitted to my car. This is something that is unique the cars with an automatic gearbox. The application (and release) of the handbrake is totally manual with no assistance from the car - other than being an electronic switch of course. Wouldn't mind something like that, but you don't miss what you've never had........
      12-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I remember HSA now from when I took a test drive in a manual - worked well on a ramp

Auto hold is good but not when combined with auto stop start because you lose control of when the engine cuts out and it unnecessarily cuts the engine at every possible opportunity, rather than only for waits of 10s+

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #21
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:

The Hill start assist exists with manual gearbox. It is just not "behind" a button, it is always on.

I too was sad first when I noticed that my 2.0d manual does not have HSA, but when driving with it a little, I noticed that it DOES have HSA after all, it is just always on.

So when I e.g. stop at traffic lights on a steep hill, I just keep the brake pressed and clutch on. When lights change, I put my foot off the brake and onto the accelerator and the car does not roll back! Only after a second or two, the HSA releases itself. Or when the car moves forward.

Also with manual gearbox there is this "crawling" mode in the engine, this means that e.g. on parking areas when you have to move very slow, all you need to do is lift the clutch slowly and the engine keeps itself running automatically and you crawl like with an automatic gearbox. No need to touch accelerator! I find this feature very good when parking or crawling in traffic. It works on 2nd and 3rd gear as well. And on 1st gear even mild uphills.

And this is really a "mode", as the engine revs itself and does not let itself to shut down.

From my experience: the manual gearbox is very well designed together with all "invisible" functions that are not advertised. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Rodion; 12-12-2012 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: edited the terminology
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #22
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
At least with manual gearbox and Euro spec this does not work like the way you describe.

With automatic gear box yes, but with manual no. You have to release handbrake by pressing the handbrake button.
Appreciate 0