BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

LCI M Sport or Pre-LCI M Sport

Currently considering an X3, but debating whether to get the LCI or the Pre-LCI.
I have F15 M Sport already, which makes the LCI X3 kind a looks the same.
So far I have been liking the Pre-LCI M Sport, IMO it looks more aggressive.
But, I don't want to miss out on all of the new features on the LCI model.
Maybe you guys can chime in which one looks best. Maybe I will just get a LCI baseline on the exterior and just upgrade the bumper with Pre-LCI M Sport later on.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
pokkus
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i xDrive M-sport

Pre-LCI is much better looking. LCI M-sport front looks silly.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33
Currently considering an X3, but debating whether to get the LCI or the Pre-LCI.
I have F15 M Sport already, which makes the LCI X3 kind a looks the same.
So far I have been liking the Pre-LCI M Sport, IMO it looks more aggressive.
Maybe you guys can chime in which one looks best. Maybe I will just get a LCI baseline on the exterior and just upgrade the bumper with Pre-LCI M Sport later on.
The better move might be to buy an M Sport and add the X-Line bumper
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
You will not miss out on much by going with a 2014.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
joyceb401
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i MSport

Pre LCI M-Sport is great. Lines are sharper than post LCI and IMO look more aggressive.

If you're going LCI, Csurf's suggestion is solid - go with the x-line bumper - it's great looking. And I think better than the M-sport grille.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

r33 - welcome to the X3 community. You might remember me from the F15 forum (formerly riM3, figured it was time to update as it has been about a year since I let my E92 go).

Out of curiosity- is the X3 in addition to the X5 or in replacement of?

Anyway, I struggled a bit with the LCI vs. Pre-LCI and X-Line vs. M-Sport decision myself. Here's my thought process;

1. M-Sport vs. X-Line: this one- unfortunately- is pretty easy for me. I've always felt that a largely cosmetic M-Sport pack on a small, not all that sporty crossover was a bit odd. Conversely, the 2015 X-Line package, in my opinion, looks great, adds a lot of maturity to the X3 and offers the most utility (marginally higher ground clearance; plastic wheel arches, side skirts and bumper strips that are easy to repair, etc.). Unfortunately, not being unable to option sport seats on the X-Line (no more SAP) is a deal breaker. No matter how much I like the way a car looks- if I can't stand driving it, I won't own it all that long. Other more minor nits; I prefer the Sport Auto transmission (I like the control offered by floppy paddles), I dislike the staggered wheel option available on the X-Line (though I much like the standard 19"x8" X-Line wheel, they'll likely be my winter set up) and I don't like chrome trim (or roof bars, both standard on the X-Line). So, I was going M-Sport, which begs the next question:

2. Pre-LCI M-Sport vs. LCI M-Sport: no matter how much I like it (I owned a 2011 xDrive35i M-Sport in BSM), the Pre-LCI is now dated and will become more so as a greater number of F15s, F26s and LCI-F25s hit the roads. It's inescapable. For every new model transition or LCI transition, there will always be the voices that will say that the last version is "a classic" and that "BMW ruined the new one"... They are entitled to their opinion, but progress is progress. You heard the same voices in the F15 forum about the F15 M Sport and, as you know, those voices all but silent 12 months after launch. Most importantly, go take a look at one in person, if YOU like it, then go LCI; if you are allergic to it, try and find a pre-LCI (or maybe check out the SQ5 and Macan S). Which brings me to my second point;

3. It was difficult to find a fully optioned 2014 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport or 2013 X3 xDrive35i with SAP. I could have sacrificed options or color combinations, but I'd almost surely regret doing so.

And so here I am... 2015 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport.

I've looked at one in person and - while I don't think it's BMW's best work - it certainly looks better in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@cSurf,
Hey, yea, I remember you.
The X3 would may be the replacement for the F10 that the lease is due in 12 months.
Thank you for the comparison details.
I do agree with you on the Pre-LCI do looks outdated, but if you notice, there are not that many M Sport Pre-LCI on the road compares to the F15 M Sport (they are everywhere and it becomes the norm).
I also agree on the LCI, the X-Line do looks nice.
I have been hearing that BMW giving a great break on the 2014.
Since this would be my wife's car, I wouldn't mind going with Pre-LCI M Sport.
Still debating whether I should just buy out the F10 or switch to the F25 Pre-LCI.
If BMW willing to take in the F10 early and giving out great discount on the 2014, then I might pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
r33 - welcome to the X3 community. You might remember me from the F15 forum (formerly riM3, figured it was time to update as it has been about a year since I let my E92 go).

Out of curiosity- is the X3 in addition to the X5 or in replacement of?

Anyway, I struggled a bit with the LCI vs. Pre-LCI and X-Line vs. M-Sport decision myself. Here's my thought process;

1. M-Sport vs. X-Line: this one- unfortunately- is pretty easy for me. I've always felt that a largely cosmetic M-Sport pack on a small, not all that sporty crossover was a bit odd. Conversely, the 2015 X-Line package, in my opinion, looks great, adds a lot of maturity to the X3 and offers the most utility (marginally higher ground clearance; plastic wheel arches, side skirts and bumper strips that are easy to repair, etc.). Unfortunately, not being unable to option sport seats on the X-Line (no more SAP) is a deal breaker. No matter how much I like the way a car looks- if I can't stand driving it, I won't own it all that long. Other more minor nits; I prefer the Sport Auto transmission (I like the control offered by floppy paddles), I dislike the staggered wheel option available on the X-Line (though I much like the standard 19"x8" X-Line wheel, they'll likely be my winter set up) and I don't like chrome trim (or roof bars, both standard on the X-Line). So, I was going M-Sport, which begs the next question:

2. Pre-LCI M-Sport vs. LCI M-Sport: no matter how much I like it (I owned a 2011 xDrive35i M-Sport in BSM), the Pre-LCI is now dated and will become more so as a greater number of F15s, F26s and LCI-F25s hit the roads. It's inescapable. For every new model transition or LCI transition, there will always be the voices that will say that the last version is "a classic" and that "BMW ruined the new one"... They are entitled to their opinion, but progress is progress. You heard the same voices in the F15 forum about the F15 M Sport and, as you know, those voices all but silent 12 months after launch. Most importantly, go take a look at one in person, if YOU like it, then go LCI; if you are allergic to it, try and find a pre-LCI (or maybe check out the SQ5 and Macan S). Which brings me to my second point;

3. It was difficult to find a fully optioned 2014 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport or 2013 X3 xDrive35i with SAP. I could have sacrificed options or color combinations, but I'd almost surely regret doing so.

And so here I am... 2015 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport.

I've looked at one in person and - while I don't think it's BMW's best work - it certainly looks better in the flesh.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
pokkus
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
I have been hearing that BMW giving a great break on the 2014.
I saved ~$13,5k by buying one year old CPO pre-LCI than buying a new LCI. I will also save another ~$5-10k with the taxes when I some day take that vehicle back to Finland...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I agree with the comments that the pre-LCI looks dated already. It's the metal between headlights and grill which for me looks dated. With other BMs having the new look too I feel my pre-LCI looks heavy and from an older generation. It only takes short time older car designs to look dated. Roll on my new 35D which has to be an MSport as it's only built as an MSport.