BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
I'm thinking Nokian Hakka R if I'm you. The unplowed mountain roads probably call for a grippier tire and the Nokians have low rolling resistance. I just wouldn't plan on doing much driving in the three digit speed range over winter but really, how often do you do that anyway?

On the flipside you might have a better overall experience with PA4s and a set of chains in case things get really ugly.
I'm thinking one of these also. I like the reputabilty of the Nokian's and this year it's the R2. now it's just rft vs. non-rft. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm having a terribly difficult time locating run flat winter tires for the 19" wheels (245/45s); the only tires that both Tire Rack and 1010Tires are showing are a couple variations of Pirellis (Sottozeros and Winter Carving Edge).

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Why not get the Pirellis? Love mine. Sotto Zero IIs down here. Imagine you'd do better there with the carving edge, no?
      09-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa
Why not get the Pirellis? Love mine. Sotto Zero IIs down here. Imagine you'd do better there with the carving edge, no?
That's great to hear, I struggled to find many quality reviews on the Pirellis. Also, right or wrong, I have a picture of the brand being more performance oriented whereas Alpins or Blizzaks have seemingly been in the winter tire game longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #27
Scottaw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i convertible

I've had my X3 for a few months now, first time BMW owner. Having owned Audi's/VW's for the past 15 years when it came to winter tire packages I never bothered with a TPMS sensor and just lived with the little warning light on the dashboard. And, actually, the latest Audi's have no TPMS sensor, but count the rev's instead, so it wasn't an issue for swapping out winter wheels.

For the X3 it appears to have dedicated TPMS sensors. Can anyone clue me into what the warning light will be without any TPMS sensors? Will it take over the instrument cluster LCD display, is it just a little icon warning...what exactly is it? I'm about to order a new winter wheel set, and don't see the need to buy TPMS sensors. (I actually check my tire pressures, old school I guess)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwen View Post
That's great to hear, I struggled to find many quality reviews on the Pirellis. Also, right or wrong, I have a picture of the brand being more performance oriented whereas Alpins or Blizzaks have seemingly been in the winter tire game longer.
Are you buy rims with the winter tires? You could go with 18" rims for your winters. That what I ended up doing because the selection on 19" winters were so few. I picked up a set of 18 rim's and blizzakk's last winter from tire rack an they work great.
      10-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
Anfänger
perennial neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottaw View Post
For the X3 it appears to have dedicated TPMS sensors. Can anyone clue me into what the warning light will be without any TPMS sensors?
If you don't install TPMS transmitters you'll get constant TPMS warnings (example from Edmunds.com). It's not too imposing.

I believe disabling the TPMS system requires system-level access, so I don't think it's possible to do it yourself. But run flat tires can deflate with no visible indication until their walls collapse. Without a spare tire, the TPMS system seems like is a crucial line of defense.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #30
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

I've had the Pirelli Sottozero's on for the past 2 winters, 19", not staggered. Great cold weather handling. I haven't had much opportunity to evaluate them in the snow though as the past two winters have been relatively snow free. I've got a lot of miles in Blizzaks with my other vehicles and they have been amazing. I would have bought them for my X3 if they had been available.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep

Settled on the Pirelli Sottozero Series II. Ordered them off 1010Tires and saved almost $200 per tire than what they would've cost locally (and there's a free shipping promo going on now).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

settled is the appropriate word... I have the Sottozero and they are not much better than a good all season tire. Definitely not what you want on your car if you deal with even moderate snowfall.

I'm going with Blizzaks when the Pirelli's are used up... I hope soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwen View Post
Settled on the Pirelli Sottozero Series II.