BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

Changing fuses behind the glove compartment + iPod issue

Hi all

Today I accidentally had a short in the front 12v outlet and burst a fuse. After reading the overview found in the back and also examining the fuses in the back I concluded that one of the fuses located in front behind the glove department needs replacing. But it turns out that access to the fuse rack isn't exactly straight forward. Any suggestions for how to reach the fuses and making an easy replacement? It's easy enough to open the lid inside the compartment and locate the fuse rack but either my hands are too big or the opening is too small considering the distance to the rack. What's the trick here?

Another issue I also had this week puzzled me a bit. My iPod refuses to mount almost half the time, the car simply won't recognize that there is an iPod connected at all (regardless if I use a BMW y-cable or Apple's std white iPod cable). After two days with BMW here conducting all sorts of software updates (It's a May 2012 build) they concluded that the car's cache overflows because I have more than 20GB of music on My iPod and the car needs to read it all into the cache. I have tried with 2 different gen 2 iPods with different firmware versions, a gen 3, gen 4 and gen 5 with the same music library. It's the same story each time. Sometimes it mounts, sometimes it's not recognized at all. Are they pulling my leg because they don't know or is cache size actually a potential issue with connectivity in our cars?

I have tried searching the forum(s) and quite a few seem to have iPod problems of different sorts but not that many solutions except changing cables and up- or downgrading software and I think I have tried it all. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have noticed the fuses in the back of the glove box and I would imagine there is a plastic tweezer like tool to extract and replace fuses? Sorry I can't offer any helpful advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

Thanks for the sympathy, ianfp. As you mention there is a tweezer located on the rack in the back but it's too short. It is probably doable but you won't see a thing after you somehow have manged to squeeze your hand into that small opening.

I'll se the dealer next week regarding another minor repair and they'll of course replace the fuse for me, it's just that IMHO this is the very least we should be able to do in our cars in addition to fueling up and topping off coolant :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Well, I hope the dealer sorts it out without too much fuss!
Appreciate 0