BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Sandman99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

X4 vs 3GT

Currently I have an E92 M3…Looking for something with more utility and 4 doors but still a blast to drive…and trying to get away from regular sedan/coupe…debating between 335 drive 3GT and X4 35i…Any opinions on this subject?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

I've owned a number of BMWs over the years including an 2001 X5 and two 535XITs. Since BMW stopped importing the 535XIT I've been waiting for something to take its place. I've test driven both the new X5 and 3 GT. Unfortunately I think the X5 is too big for my needs plus I'm not thrilled with the styling. Same with the styling of the 3 GT. I'm thinking the size and styling of the X4 may be just right but of course I have to see and drive it first. I'm looking for a good long distance cruiser with the ability to haul stuff including a bicycle. And I like the higher seating position of the SAV. I'm hoping the X4 will be the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I agree with RNorb on the styling. We may end up with an X5 because BMW gives great lease deals on them, but BMW really needs to pull their heads out of their ass and stop making essentially the same vehicle between the GT and X4/6 line. They should make the GT line more of a tall wagon or something more along the lines of the Evoq.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

As awkward as many feel the X4 is, myself included (though it's growing on me), the 3GT is worse. I would go 4 gran coupe over 3GT and I'm not even 100% sold on the 4GC yet (haven't seen one in person). We have a '14 X5 M sport and love the styling, it and my '13 335 (F30) are miles better looking than the 3GT. I had one as a loaner for a couple of days and it is great looking from the front but awful from every other angle.

X4 is growing on me. If the X5 is too big, I would say 435GC or X4, or even the new X1 when it comes out (not sure when that is or what it'll look like). I may actually take my wife's X5 for myself and getting her an X4 when my 335 lease is up. She parks on the street for work, so smaller car might make me cringe less when she takes it to work
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
I don't quite understand the hate the X4 and the 3GT get but to each their own. I think both look good and each serves their purpose. The more choices, the better.

My lease was coming to an end on a 2011 X3 and had to pull the trigger on a new vehicle. I really wanted to test drive the Macan and the X4 but there was no way a I could wait until their release. I was already pushing my lease extension past 4 months. The X5/X6 is too large for our needs so it really came down to the 3GT and X3.

I test drove the 3GT 35i and I was impressed with how it drove. The 3GT sits higher than a 3 series but lower than a X3 and weighs less, so naturally it drove more like a 3 series. For what it is, the 3GT is quick and a lot of fun to drive. The X3 is no slouch either so it is safe to say the X4 will as good or better than the X3. I went with the X3 because it had more space, otherwise I could see myself in a 3GT. If I had to choose today, it would be the X4.

Nothing here will come close to your E92 M3 experience unless you want to shell out for the Macan Turbo. So, if space is more important than a 3-series feel...I would go with the X3/X4. Want slightly faster and more agility?...then the 3GT is for you. Want insanity in a SAV? Macan Turbo. JMO.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0